Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why do people buy SUVs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 03:06 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do people buy SUVs?

Seeing the extraordinary popularity of SUVs one must ask the question on why they're as popular as they are?

If i personally do a pro & con list i'd say SUVs have more cons than pros. From personal experience the only real advantage of SUVs is their higher driving position which really comes in handy for everyday driving.

Their utility is also overrated i'd say normal mid-size and even some of the newer compact sedans offer far more seating comfort than most SUVs. Take the highlander for example the third row is essentially useless, and just having that third row there has compromised the space for the rest of the passengers. If you want to carry passengers mini-vans are a far superior choice as they're more comfortable, offer better performance, safer and also get better MPG than SUVs.

And with SUVs you always have that extra wind noise, decreased performance, increased fuel consumption, reduced dynamics and most of all the dangerous increase of center of gravity (COT)

So the mystery remains. Other than the high driving position what makes people go crazy over SUVs? Is it still that bigger is better mentality? Because SUVs may give you a false sense of security but that's all it is just 'false'
SUVs are no safer than normal cars and in most circumstances are actually more dangerous.
Old 03-31-14, 04:07 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Well you're wrong about half of what you're saying for starters. Few minivans are offered with AWD, and lots of people like that. A small third row is perfectly usable when you have younger kids. Minivans don't offer better performance than SUVs do. They don't put beefy engines into minivans. Bigger most certainly is safer also. When a Ford Excursion rams into a Honda Civic, or vice versa, who do you think is going to get hurt? Not the Excursion.

We can squeeze 7 people into our X5 diesel (with the third row option), or haul bulky cargo, it will tow like a champ, get nearly 30 mpg on road trips, rides pretty darned good and is quiet, will hit 0-60 mph in just under 7 seconds, drives and handles far better than many cars, oh and it will handle all weather being AWD. And yes, the high driving position gives great visibility too. All of that is why SUVs are so popular, minus the fuel consumption part for anything that isn't a diesel. But fuel economy figures on some of the latest SUVs including the new-generation X5 and the Acura MDX are now up to par with minivans, too.....
Old 03-31-14, 05:53 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think I posted the same question about 10 years ago. Now that I'm older, I wonder why do people buy sedans when there are SUVs.

Its an age thing, one day you'll understand.
Old 03-31-14, 06:11 AM
LexFather

Great way to start off te week here lol....

Old 03-31-14, 07:16 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SUV's (and minivans) have come so far in the last 5-10 years! Unfortunately you are missing that which many see and experience? I cannot wait to take delivery of our Ford Explorer sport this Friday!
Old 03-31-14, 07:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I can't answer for why others buy them, but I can explain why I bought an SUV (and SUVs in the past).

For us, we needed room that a sedan just doesn't offer. When we go camping, buy furniture, or do home improvement projects, we really fill up the SUV to max capacity, and use the extra room inside that a sedan just doesn't have. This became a necessity when I sold my truck.

A station wagon or a minivan would also accommodate these needs. However, in the US, selection of station wagons is extremely limited and there weren't any that struck a note with us.

As for a minivan, they are great when you need the room, but they were a step too far in that direction. With only one kid, I do not need a third row. I also like the additional AWD capabilities and the increased ground clearance of the SUV, which we use when we take it up to the mountains (snow).

So the SUV, for us, offers the greatest combination of utility and day to day comfort. Our RX is not our first SUV, and is not likely to be our last.
Old 03-31-14, 07:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

cuz every soccer Mom needs one, LOL!
Old 03-31-14, 08:16 AM
dapimpee
Pole Position

My wife hates SUV, Lol.
Old 03-31-14, 08:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Why do people buy coupes? Minivans? Convertibles? Two seaters? Pickups?
Old 03-31-14, 08:54 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^

Don't forget about motorcycles.
Old 03-31-14, 08:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

No one seems to have posted the biggest (and most obvious) dfference between SUVs and cars......the high ground clearance that allows easier passage through deep snow. Many different vehicles (including ordinary sedans) can be had with AWD these days, allowing greater mobility in winter. But not all of the have the ground clearance to go through the deep stuff without the underside of the vehicle getting hung up.

The Subaru Legacy/Outback is a good example. The Legacy sedan has the same AWD system (and the same platform) that the Outback does. But the Outback's substantially higher ground clearance (several inches over that of the Legacy) allows easier access through much deeper snow.
Old 03-31-14, 09:05 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Seeing the extraordinary popularity of SUVs one must ask the question on why they're as popular as they are?

If i personally do a pro & con list i'd say SUVs have more cons than pros. From personal experience the only real advantage of SUVs is their higher driving position which really comes in handy for everyday driving.

Their utility is also overrated i'd say normal mid-size and even some of the newer compact sedans offer far more seating comfort than most SUVs. Take the highlander for example the third row is essentially useless, and just having that third row there has compromised the space for the rest of the passengers. If you want to carry passengers mini-vans are a far superior choice as they're more comfortable, offer better performance, safer and also get better MPG than SUVs.

And with SUVs you always have that extra wind noise, decreased performance, increased fuel consumption, reduced dynamics and most of all the dangerous increase of center of gravity (COT)

So the mystery remains. Other than the high driving position what makes people go crazy over SUVs? Is it still that bigger is better mentality? Because SUVs may give you a false sense of security but that's all it is just 'false'
SUVs are no safer than normal cars and in most circumstances are actually more dangerous.
Well that's your opinion

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-31-14, 09:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No one seems to have posted the biggest (and most obvious) dfference between SUVs and cars......the high ground clearance that allows easier passage through deep snow.
Ahem...

Originally Posted by JDR76
I also like the additional AWD capabilities and the increased ground clearance of the SUV, which we use when we take it up to the mountains (snow).
Old 03-31-14, 09:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Ahem...

OK...Thanks. Good point. Most people, though, comment more on the higher seating/driving position of SUVs (looking out over the roofs of other vehicles) rather than on the far more important aspect of being able to deal with deep snow.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-31-14 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-31-14, 11:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Mexico is my answer.

When I decided to move down there, I was warned that the highways were great, toll ones, but regular cars took a beating on the city streets and forget roads outside the city. Only an SUV could take the beating.

You should ask my Uncle how many cars he worked on had busted/badly worn shocks, and it was such a common issue you really didn't do anything unless the car sagged to one side or the noise got way too unbearable (true for taxi cab drivers).

Some people suggested a Subaru to me, but there were no dealers down there and with Toyota opening its doors down there around the time I moved, I made a few calls to them and I could get the support if I needed it, and I found them every helpful and supportive over my 6+ years there despite Lexus still not available for sale.

Quick Reply: Why do people buy SUVs?