Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why do people buy SUVs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 11:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Mexico is my answer.

When I decided to move down there, I was warned that the highways were great, toll ones, but regular cars took a beating on the city streets and forget roads outside the city. Only an SUV could take the beating.

You should ask my Uncle how many cars he worked on had busted/badly worn shocks, and it was such a common issue you really didn't do anything unless the car sagged to one side or the noise got way too unbearable (true for taxi cab drivers).
Because of those poor road conditions you mention, demand for off-road-capable SUVs in Mexico and Central America is great enough that there are organized SUV-theft rings here in the U.S. that smuggle stolen vehicles down there to try and satisfy that demand.
Old 03-31-14, 12:27 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

another reason is prices for minivans nowadays is getting way out of hands. prices for a loaded Limited Sienna or Odyssey Touring are comparable to RX350 and MDX, respectively. i remember 10 years ago a minivan was significantly cheaper than a comparable SUV. so for the same amount of money of course people would rather get SUVs unless they need that cargo space of minivan all the time.
Old 03-31-14, 01:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Why do people buy SUVs?
Kind of an odd question.

- To each their own, not everyone like sedans, hatches etc..
- Line of work
- Hauling/towing/carrying
- Environment they live in

the list goes on..
Old 03-31-14, 01:20 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
another reason is prices for minivans nowadays is getting way out of hands. prices for a loaded Limited Sienna or Odyssey Touring are comparable to RX350 and MDX, respectively. i remember 10 years ago a minivan was significantly cheaper than a comparable SUV. so for the same amount of money of course people would rather get SUVs unless they need that cargo space of minivan all the time.
Agreed, I was pretty staggered when I found out that Minivans were getting in the 40k range. But to be fair, the top end Siennas and Odyesseys are so nice inside, they put to shame some Luxury badged cars.

Anyways, back to the topic on hand, I agree that I never really saw the purpose, but now that I'm getting older, its starting to set in that, when you have a family and have to haul stuff, you will need it. And not everyone can get over the stigma of driving a minivan.
Old 03-31-14, 01:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Well you're wrong about half of what you're saying for starters. Few minivans are offered with AWD, and lots of people like that. A small third row is perfectly usable when you have younger kids. Minivans don't offer better performance than SUVs do. They don't put beefy engines into minivans. Bigger most certainly is safer also. When a Ford Excursion rams into a Honda Civic, or vice versa, who do you think is going to get hurt? Not the Excursion.

We can squeeze 7 people into our X5 diesel (with the third row option), or haul bulky cargo, it will tow like a champ, get nearly 30 mpg on road trips, rides pretty darned good and is quiet, will hit 0-60 mph in just under 7 seconds, drives and handles far better than many cars, oh and it will handle all weather being AWD. And yes, the high driving position gives great visibility too. All of that is why SUVs are so popular, minus the fuel consumption part for anything that isn't a diesel. But fuel economy figures on some of the latest SUVs including the new-generation X5 and the Acura MDX are now up to par with minivans, too.....
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Kind of an odd question.

- To each their own, not everyone like sedans, hatches etc..
- Line of work
- Hauling/towing/carrying
- Environment they live in

the list goes on..
^^

so many reasons and pros and cons, but i don't think it's really a valid question to begin with anyway because everyone needs different things. just like how some people can never see enough pros to buy luxury cars

i have yet to see a sedan with better cargo space than suv. seating comfort is debatable, but a car like lx570, the driving comfort is far superior than a lot of sedans out there. minivan is better on space no doubt, but better performance? hardly. better mpg? you don't want to compare the sienna to a v8 gx for example. more comfortable? a nice suv from any brand can beat the ride comfort of minivan easily

i am not even trying to say suv is better or minivan is better or sedan is better, just different cars for different people
Old 03-31-14, 01:56 PM
akalita
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We needed a minivan with a 3rd kid on the way, but there was no way my wife wanted to drive or be seen in one. Minivan would've been tons more practical and economical, not to mention i could've bought a much newer one, but alas, i'm a new owner of the 2003 LX470 one-owner with 120K on it. I think in addition to the raised driving position, the extra space inside helps as well.
Old 03-31-14, 08:20 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had an SUV when I commuted because it allowed me to see above traffic. From that aspect, there is a practical value. Now that I don't commute I have no need for one.
Old 03-31-14, 09:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
And not everyone can get over the stigma of driving a minivan.
Originally Posted by alakita
but there was no way my wife wanted to drive or be seen in one
Factually, the so-called "Stigma" of driving a minivan is nothing but imagination inside of people's heads. Practically-speaking, there is nothing wrong with driving one....absolutely NOTHING. The whole idea that there WAS initially got started in the pages of auto-enthusiast magazines and hard, aggressive-driving members of the auto press....basically the same crowd that laughed at older Buicks and called them Geezer-cars.

But, the fact is, like it or not, a minivan is often the ideal vehicle for many families, though currently, the only AWD minivan left in the American market is the pricey Sienna AWD, which can sell at a price well into Lexus territory. So, that might rule one out for families who cannot afford that kind of price.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-31-14 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-31-14, 10:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Seeing the extraordinary popularity of SUVs one must ask the question on why they're as popular as they are?
they meet a perceived or real need. /thread

oh and they're awesome.
/comfy
/great visibility
/no jamming stuff into a trunk
/no bending over if you're tall
/great for long trips
/great for group outings
Old 03-31-14, 10:12 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 04-01-14, 05:27 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Like a few of us have here, we own both a sedan and SUV to fill in gaps from one vehicle over the other . No one type of vehicle can do it all.
Old 04-01-14, 05:34 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultimately I'd love to have the new Audi RS6 estate. You have all you need in one car. No compromise what so ever.
Old 04-01-14, 05:54 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On a comical note, here is one limitation of cars...or is it?
Attached Thumbnails Why do people buy SUVs?-trailer-needed.jpg   Why do people buy SUVs?-supertrooper.jpg  
Old 04-01-14, 07:54 AM
flyfishman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't like how LOW sedans sit and how far one needs to bend knees past parallel to get into them. Hate riding in my co-workers accord. ACL waiting to happen.
Old 04-01-14, 09:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSthe4th
On a comical note, here is one limitation of cars...or is it?
You'd be surprised at the number of drivers I've seen who actually try that.....use a compact car like a Chevy Suburban. And they wonder why the transmissions burn up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-01-14 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Why do people buy SUVs?