Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota To Show Refreshed 2015 Camry In New York

Old 03-28-14, 04:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Glad that's just a rendering, looks extremely bland to me
H,the rear looks so much better to me,though.
The present read taillight deign are awful.
Now if they upgrade the interior and get away from the squarish,flat side design a bit,the Camry will look much nicer.
Old 03-28-14, 06:11 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I look forward to seeing the changes. An exterior refresh will be nice, but I assume that the greatest changes will be to the interior. Considering Toyota's recent streak of top-notch interiors, I'm interested to see what they come up with.
Old 03-28-14, 07:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
It's not a humongous change, nothing mechanical. Just some styling changes front and back, with minor stuff to the side profile.
hopefully they'll stop the cheap rear bumper from flapping in the wind at highway speeds.
Old 03-28-14, 07:21 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hopefully they'll stop the cheap rear bumper from flapping in the wind at highway speeds.
That is a huge piece of plastic beyond the rear wheel....
Old 03-28-14, 07:45 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was billed internally by Toyota as a major refresh including sheetmetal changes, which is almost unheard of for mid-cycle refresh. So I'm expecting a bit beyond some minor tweaks and cosmetic updates. Even so-called minor styling tweaks, if it involves sheetmetal changes, is a huge undertaking. Can't wait to see.
Old 03-28-14, 07:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
This was billed internally by Toyota as a major refresh including sheetmetal changes, which is almost unheard of for mid-cycle refresh. So I'm expecting a bit beyond some minor tweaks and cosmetic updates. Even so-called minor styling tweaks, if it involves sheetmetal changes, is a huge undertaking. Can't wait to see.
it certainly was not... what you are talking about is PR.
Old 03-28-14, 08:19 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah "PR" from the CEO of Toyota. Whatever.....
Old 03-28-14, 08:29 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it will be like how the 2005-2010 Avalon changed to the 2011-2012 Avalon (note the two-year lifespan of this "refresh"). Same chassis and powertrain, but huge difference in design, both exteriorly and interiorly.

Old 03-28-14, 08:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

local ads are touting the 2014.5 camry.
did they really do a half year update?
Old 03-28-14, 10:08 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I look forward to seeing the changes. An exterior refresh will be nice, but I assume that the greatest changes will be to the interior. Considering Toyota's recent streak of top-notch interiors, I'm interested to see what they come up with.
I am looking forward to seeing what changes Toyota makes inside the Camry. I was not particularly impressed with the interior of this current generation when it came out 3 years ago. Considering what Honda did with their current Accord and Toyota's new-found streak of better interiors, I am looking forward to seeing the revised Camry.

The front-end is easy to change in a refresh. The fenders, the hood, the headlights, grill and front bumper are detachable and not load bearing so can easily change. Likewise, the trunk lid, rear lights and rear bumper are easily changed. They could make some small (minor) changes to the door skins to add some interest and maybe continue those minor character lines into the rear fenders, but I doubt these will change (the most recent refresh of the MB E-Class sedan changed the rear door skin to remove the effect of the bloated rear fender but the rear fender itself did not change).

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think it will be like how the 2005-2010 Avalon changed to the 2011-2012 Avalon (note the two-year lifespan of this "refresh"). Same chassis and powertrain, but huge difference in design, both exteriorly and interiorly.

The real structural metal (doors, rear fender) did not change in the 2011 Avalon refresh. There was, of course, the big change to the instrument panel. I am hoping for these sorts of changes in the refreshed Camry.
Old 03-28-14, 10:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
H,the rear looks so much better to me,though.
The present read taillight deign are awful.
Now if they upgrade the interior and get away from the squarish,flat side design a bit,the Camry will look much nicer.
Something about it though reminds me of the last gen Corolla. Granted I know it's just a rendering, but Akio said he would infuse more sport and drive into the line-up which makes me think the rear end will be more angular with sharp lines with or without the current odd tails. I dunno though.

Excited for the interior since that's where we spend most time anyway. I did think this last redesign was an improvement over the 2011 interior, but I know they can do better still.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
It's great to see, but this means Lexus has to step up on everything that is not GS, LS or LX.
Old 03-28-14, 10:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Something about it though reminds me of the last gen Corolla. Granted I know it's just a rendering, but Akio said he would infuse more sport and drive into the line-up which makes me think the rear end will be more angular with sharp lines with or without the current odd tails. I dunno though.

Excited for the interior since that's where we spend most time anyway. I did think this last redesign was an improvement over the 2011 interior, but I know they can do better still.

It's great to see, but this means Lexus has to step up on everything that is not GS, LS or LX.
I like that rear design a lot.I think that design will be close.
I feel the car is just too square looking.
Old 03-28-14, 11:39 AM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sulu
That's the rest-of-the-world Camry.

Old 03-28-14, 01:04 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the pictures. Look like GS head Lights now, except the LED strip, and the Hour Glass Grill. This model doesn't look bad at all.

I have to admire Mr Toyota to push the upgrade this early. The 2014 Camry look too weird, and too square. The tail Lights look like Vampire Fangs
Old 03-28-14, 01:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Oh wow, yeah not a fan of this "World Camry". Doesn't do anything for me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota To Show Refreshed 2015 Camry In New York