Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota To Show Refreshed 2015 Camry In New York

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-14, 04:56 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
And I know LOTS of people that are raving Toyota fans, both enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts. My Aunt and Uncle purchase Toyota products exclusively...they would never even consider another brand of vehicle...they aren't car enthusiasts, but Toyotas are what they buy and have been for the last 25 years.

A lot of people just buy Camrys over and over again and never consider anything that isn't a Camry.
You're correct. But do they follow the news on the new Camry before it comes out? Probably not. I would say most Camry buyers probably buy the car because it's reliable and they trust it, but most likely don't care a great deal about the design changes etc.

I would imagine the more 'enthusiast' types will be found in your 4-Runner or Tacoma crowds, rather than in the Camry herd.
Old 04-22-14, 06:05 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm the type of Toyota fan that is already anticipating the all new 2018 Camry even before the 2015 comes out.
Old 04-22-14, 06:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
You're correct. But do they follow the news on the new Camry before it comes out? Probably not. I would say most Camry buyers probably buy the car because it's reliable and they trust it, but most likely don't care a great deal about the design changes etc.
No, because they aren't car enthusiasts. Doesn't mean they aren't huge fans of the brand and very loyal customers.

I have brands of other things I buy in my life that I am very loyal to. I like Ralph Lauren shirts...Allen Edmonds shoes. Maui Jim sunglasses. I'm not on forums talking about those things because I'm not an enthusiast of shirts, shoes or sunglasses....but when I go and buy a polo shirt or a button down shirt its probably going to be Ralph Lauren. Pair of dress or even casual shoes? Probably Allen Edmonds. Sunglasses? Probably Maui Jim. I'm a fan of those brands, but I'm not an enthusiast of those items.

The review made it sound like nobody is a Toyota fan...and while there might not be a lot of Camry enthusiasts...there are MILLIONS of Camry fans.
Old 04-22-14, 06:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks

I would imagine the more 'enthusiast' types will be found in your 4-Runner or Tacoma crowds, rather than in the Camry herd.
yes, but question is if anyone would notice the design change between new XSE model and old Camry.

Considering how huge and in-the-face that grill is, I am pretty sure that EVERYONE will notice that this is something new. They might hate it, but they certainly wont think it is 2012 model.

That front end will be instantly talking point, for better or worse.
Old 04-22-14, 07:14 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Not only will most (I would hope all) people see that this is a restyled car, but more people than not (outside of the realm of car enthusiasts) will likely think this is an all new redesigned car - a new generation. With every panel being changed with only the roof being carried over most people will assume this is a new car. And even the roof has the illusion of being new because of the plastic insert on the c-pillar.

There are indeed some people though, my wife being one of them, who literally see every car as looking the same. It's a huge pet peeve of mine that gets to me when she sees two completely different cars and can't tell them apart. Which is why she owns and is exclusively a fan of Jeep Wranglers, because in her eyes it's one of the only vehicles that looks different.

Me, on the other hand, will spot a mile a way that an automaker has changed the inside of a headlight lens as a minor model year update.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 04-23-14 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-22-14, 08:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I would say that is completely ignorant of the general car-buying public. That is also insulting to Toyota and insulting to Toyota fans. By saying that, he is stooping as low as those Internet trolls who like nothing better than to insult Toyota at every turn.
not sure why you quoted me, i was ripping CR, not the camry. as you may have seen, i think toyota's done an awesome job with this big time refresh!

My cousin, who is as far from a car-enthusiast as you can get (but one I would consider to be very representative of the general car-buying public), would look at the Gen6 and Gen6.5 Camrys (pre- and post-facelift) and believe they are 2 different cars.

He has, in fact, looked at 2 Camrys -- of different colours, mind you -- and believe they are 2 different models of cars. For a few years, we both had Gen5 Camrys, mine a beige 2002 model and his a silver 2003 model; both 2002 and 2003 Camrys are the same but because of the different colours, he did not believe that they were both Camrys.
so in that sense, you ARE agreeing with CR, in that your cousin doesn't exactly have a keen eye as to the difference between models. although you're saying he has thought 2 of the SAME cars in different colors were different models, so perhaps you're saying he'd OBVIOUSLY know this refresh was a completely different car?

whatever, leave me out of it.
Old 04-22-14, 10:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I just can't get over how redesigned this Camry is. It is unprecedented Toyota would completely change a bread and butter car after only three short model years. Has this ever happened before in modern times with the company? Not at all. I'll respectfully point out again, they got caught with their pants down in 2011. The 2011 model was a complete mistake in the styling department. Doesn't matter if it is the best-selling car. Times moved on and other brands had the smarts and talent to foresee the future when Toyota did not. And I am sure such a rushed redesigned cost them a unplanned pretty penny. I hope they are smarter for it and can learn wisely to avoid such future misteps. Long live Toyota and Lexus.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 04-23-14 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-22-14, 10:24 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

This is BS in Australia we won't be getting the updated interior!

Seriously F****U Toyota Australia
Old 04-23-14, 05:44 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure why you quoted me, i was ripping CR, not the camry. as you may have seen, i think toyota's done an awesome job with this big time refresh!

so in that sense, you ARE agreeing with CR, in that your cousin doesn't exactly have a keen eye as to the difference between models. although you're saying he has thought 2 of the SAME cars in different colors were different models, so perhaps you're saying he'd OBVIOUSLY know this refresh was a completely different car?

whatever, leave me out of it.
I quoted you because you had commented on the remark by the CR reviewer so it was a part of the thread I wished to continue.

I am saying that the remark by the CR reviewer was unprofessional and insulting. CR claims to be unbiased so this is something that is not expected from CR; it is something we expect from Autoblog but not CR.

I disagree that no one will recognize this new Camry as being changed; I believe (from knowing my cousin's perspective on cars) that the general car-buying public may not even recognize this as a Toyota. The general car-buying public will realize that it is a new car, a car that they have never seen before but they will not recognize it as a Toyota Camry until they see the "Camry" badge on the trunklid.
Old 04-23-14, 07:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I quoted you because you had commented on the remark by the CR reviewer so it was a part of the thread I wished to continue.

I am saying that the remark by the CR reviewer was unprofessional and insulting. CR claims to be unbiased so this is something that is not expected from CR; it is something we expect from Autoblog but not CR.

I disagree that no one will recognize this new Camry as being changed; I believe (from knowing my cousin's perspective on cars) that the general car-buying public may not even recognize this as a Toyota. The general car-buying public will realize that it is a new car, a car that they have never seen before but they will not recognize it as a Toyota Camry until they see the "Camry" badge on the trunklid.
cool thanks and i agree with all that.

in fact, the new camry exterior is so 'radical' they may have even gone too far? particularly the front, but i doubt it. i think they knew they had to shake it up some, and when people drive it, esp. with newly added sound insulation and better materials, it will sell in even higher numbers.
Old 04-23-14, 07:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

in fact, the new camry exterior is so 'radical' they may have even gone too far?
but hey, nobody will see the difference :-)

they also added more features, like LED lighting all around, all auto windows, lots of small things like that.
Old 04-23-14, 08:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I suppose the 4 of us are simply the "4 Toyota fans" that can see the difference LOL
Old 04-23-14, 09:34 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

cool thanks and i agree with all that.

in fact, the new camry exterior is so 'radical' they may have even gone too far? particularly the front, but i doubt it. i think they knew they had to shake it up some, and when people drive it, esp. with newly added sound insulation and better materials, it will sell in even higher numbers.

Now that I have had a few days to study the photos of this new Camry, I believe that this design was inevitable, and is an evolution of what Toyota North America started with the 2013 Avalon and continued with the 2014 Corolla; if this "sweeping redesign" had not occurred now, I believe that it would have occurred at the next full model change.

The front ends of the Avalon and Corolla are very similar: a "winged" sombrero badge in a small upper grill and a separate large lower grill. I believe that the two grills would eventually have been joined into a single, larger, grill, as has now been done on the 2015 Camry. This Toyota family similarity may not be as obvious as it is with the Germans -- Mercedes-Benz' instantly recognizable upright grill, BMW's twin kidneys or Audi's horse collar -- but then it has been argued that the Germans are now merely offering "one sausage in different lengths".