Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Lexus IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-14, 08:21 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lexus is in a different level compared to the Verano, which is a rebadged Opel
Old 07-17-14, 02:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
The Lexus is in a different level compared to the Verano, which is a rebadged Opel
Exactly....
Old 07-17-14, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

So? The original Lexus IS was a rebadged Toyota Altezza....even MORE so, as it shared the Altezza's 2.0L and 3.0L powertrains. The Verano doesn't use Opel drivetrains.
Old 07-18-14, 12:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So? The original Lexus IS was a rebadged Toyota Altezza....even MORE so, as it shared the Altezza's 2.0L and 3.0L powertrains. The Verano doesn't use Opel drivetrains.
IS/Altezza is not the same as your Verano-Opel comparison. The IS is in a league of engineering that is two levels higher than a Verano. The Verano, while somewhat quiet, still has roots in the Chevy Cruze. The Verano-Opel is pretty much an upscale Cruze.

Cars such as the IS, should be compared to cars like the ATS, C-class, 3 Series and A4.

mmarshall, you must keep in mind that the Verano is FWD, has MacPherson struts at the front, a torsion beam at the rear, lacks a V6, does not offer AWD and is a lot less heavy compared to the IS and the pool of competitors in its class.

Baaed on mechanicals, I would put the Verano on par with my Corolla, a Civic, yes a Cruze, and its direct competitor is the Acura ILX.

The Acura ILX really is the only car that compares with the Verano, it should be noted that the Verano did win in two different Motor Trend comparisons. And almost all major legit publications note the Cruzes roots that the Verano is based on.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-18-14 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-18-14, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
IS/Altezza is not the same as your Verano-Opel comparison. The IS is in a league of engineering that is two levels higher than a Verano. The Verano, while somewhat quiet, still has roots in the Chevy Cruze. The Verano-Opel is pretty much an upscale Cruze.
Can you speak from experience? I owned a Verano and a 1Gen IS for years, and have done full-reviews on EVERY version of the 2Gen IS (including the convertible) and at least one version of the 3Gen. I don't claim to know everything, but I know these two cars from experience.

mmarshall, you must keep in mind that the Verano is FWD, has MacPherson struts at the front, a torsion beam at the rear, lacks a V6, does not offer AWD and is a lot less heavy compared to the IS and the pool of competitors in its class.
Thank You...but I'm well aware of how these cars are designed. I've stated before that I thought one of the Verano's shortcomings was a lack of a V6 option (same with the Regal). But I'm sure you are well-aware that V6 engines are simply disappearing from small and mid-size cars because of CAFE. Even the one in the IS is a relatively small 2.5L displacement.

I don't see a beam-axle as that big a shortcoming in the Verano. It rides and handles like it was a full-independent......and makes service/alignment a lot easier, with fewer parts to wear out.

Based on mechanicals, I would put the Verano on par with my Corolla, a Civic, yes a Cruze, and its direct competitor is the Acura ILX.

The ILX doesn't sell in high enough numbers to be a true competitor. And even though the Cruze is not the Verano's roots, it itself is a very nice car. Except for maybe the ignition switch, GM has little to apologize for with that car.

The Acura ILX really is the only car that compares with the Verano, it should be noted that the Verano did win in two different Motor Trend comparisons. And almost all major legit publications note the Cruzes roots that the Verano is based on.
Here's a quote from Car and Driver magazine;

"The new Verano (itself basically a sedan version of the Astra)"
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/bui...nvertible-news

The next-generation Verano, though, WILL differ a little more from its German Opel roots.............but not necessarily depend on the Cruze.

Please, let's not continue this discussion any more. You and I are never going to agree on the Verano/Cruze/Astra/Delta-Platform origins. I see little reason to keep discussing it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-18-14 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-18-14, 07:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

ok, think we've enough verano discussion here. it's pretty unrelated to the IS. thanks.
Old 07-18-14, 03:44 PM
LexFather

mmarshall for the record the IS 200 debuted in Europe with an I-6 the same time it was called a Toyota Altezza in Japan. The IS had its own SPECIFIC platform. The IS never got a 4 cylinder engine FYI. Funny how things change, back then Lexus reasoned a 4 cylinder was not acceptable for a Lexus so we got the 2JZ instead. The Altezza had a high revving 4 with a 6 speed manual. They tried the 6 speed manual with the 2jZ but the torque was too much for it and not proved to be reliable enough, so we got the 5 speed.

The last two generations of the IS have been based off the GS, a more expensive car, not the other way around.

I'm super excited to see the new 2.0 I-4 make its way into the IS in 2016.

Old 07-18-14, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
mmarshall for the record the IS 200 debuted in Europe with an I-6 the same time it was called a Toyota Altezza in Japan. The IS had its own SPECIFIC platform. The IS never got a 4 cylinder engine FYI.
Yes, I know. I asked about that when I bought my IS300 in 2001. The Lexus reps (dealership, auto-show, and customer-rep) I talked to at the time all said they didn't think the IS200/Altezza would sell in the U.S. I had asked about the 200, because I wasn't impressed with the V8-like EPA gas mileage figures on the 3.0 straight-six (on premium gas at that), though it was otherwise, admittedly, a wonderful engine. Then, I figured, well, if I could afford to BUY a Lexus (which I could)....heck, I could afford to run it. The rest is history.....and, off course, that is how I joined CL.

Funny how things change, back then Lexus reasoned a 4 cylinder was not acceptable for a Lexus so we got the 2JZ instead. The Altezza had a high revving 4 with a 6 speed manual. They tried the 6 speed manual with the 2jZ but the torque was too much for it and not proved to be reliable enough, so we got the 5 speed.

The last two generations of the IS have been based off the GS, a more expensive car, not the other way around.

I'm super excited to see the new 2.0 I-4 make its way into the IS in 2016.
I had several conversations/posts too, with Ryan, about whether four-bangers were proper or not for something with the Lexus nameplate. And, of course, a small hybrid four wound up in the Lexus CT.
Old 08-16-14, 10:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The more I see the 14 IS the more I am appreciating the styling. I don't like the front grille but the rest of the car looks better with every view.
Old 10-22-14, 01:56 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Just noticed that the 3IS has a very massive rear passenger window, which doesn't have that sleek chic appearance the high belt-line 2IS profile had.

The 3IS has less metal, more glass in its side profile! Which gives it a more dopey appearance.

More function over form i guess :P

Last edited by yowps3; 10-22-14 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-22-14, 08:48 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just noticed that the 3IS has a very massive rear passenger window, which doesn't have that sleek chic appearance the high belt-line 2IS profile had.

The 3IS has less metal, more glass in its side profile! Which gives it a more dopey appearance.

We get it, you don't like the 3IS.
Old 10-22-14, 11:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I actually the think the rear window is interesting and rather stylish. I thinky Corolla takes some cues from the larger rear window trend. Or it might just be that the interior is closer to the window in the rear if that makes any sense.

Anyways. , I have started to appreciate the 3IS styling.
Old 10-22-14, 02:49 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The more I see the 14 IS the more I am appreciating the styling. I don't like the front grille but the rest of the car looks better with every view.
I'm starting to agree with this--but I can't get past the grille.
Old 10-22-14, 04:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm starting to agree with this--but I can't get past the grille.
Me too, the grille is pretty bad.
Old 10-22-14, 10:27 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

I like this photo of the 3IS

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2014 Lexus IS250 AWD