Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Lexus IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 08:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Mike...we're just going to agree to disagree on at least part of that one ......though, having reviewed one, I agree that the ILX is not terribly impressive. But, depending on model, Buick and Cadillac are both becoming significant Lexus competitors in the U.S, at least with lower-to-mid-line Lexus products. I agree, however, that neither Buick or Cadillac has anything that can compete with the LS460....the XLS, IMO, is not in the same league.

The new 3-series models, because of the de-sensitized electric power steering and some other factors, though still popular, no longer have quite the magic appeal they did for so many years. There is now more real competition...of which the IS, of course, is one.
Nothing to disagree with. The Verano and ILX compete with no Lexus. Buick and Acura fight themselves mostly. Caddy (not sure why that was thrown in) is clearly a luxury brand and Lexus competition.

Old 04-02-14, 12:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Nothing to disagree with. The Verano and ILX compete with no Lexus. Buick and Acura fight themselves mostly..
You are correct, the Verano competes with no Lexus and neither does the ILX. An Acura MDX would be a competitor with the RX350, but just because the MDX competes with a Lexus does not mean any Buick becomes a Lexus competitor.

If Lexus had a Corolla badged version of their compact car, then I would say the Verano competes with it, the Verano is a re-badged Chevrolet Cruze, people have to keep that in mind.

The Acura ILX is the perfect comparison to the Buick Verano, both based off a bread and butter corporate bargain car, both FWD, both premium non-luxury materials.
Old 04-02-14, 12:36 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You are correct, the Verano competes with no Lexus and neither does the ILX. An Acura MDX would be a competitor with the RX350, but just because the MDX competes with a Lexus does not mean any Buick becomes a Lexus competitor.

If Lexus had a Corolla badged version of their compact car, then I would say the Verano competes with it, the Verano is a re-badged Chevrolet Cruze, people have to keep that in mind.

The Acura ILX is the perfect comparison to the Buick Verano, both based off a bread and butter corporate bargain car, both FWD, both premium non-luxury materials.
If the MDX competes with an RX350, then why doesn't the Enclave?
Old 04-02-14, 01:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
There could be some argument that the Enclave should be compared with the RX, but the Cadillac SRX is the true competitor to the RX.
Old 04-02-14, 01:14 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

There could be some argument that the Enclave should be compared with the RX, but the Cadillac SRX is the true competitor to the RX.
Agreed. The Enclave is also a huge 3-row SUV.
Old 04-02-14, 01:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

the Verano competes with no Lexus and neither does the ILX. An Acura MDX would be a competitor with the RX350, but just because the MDX competes with a Lexus does not mean any Buick becomes a Lexus competitor.

If Lexus had a Corolla badged version of their compact car, then I would say the Verano competes with it,
Here's a direct quote from Motor Trend:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...wd_snow_drive/

"In recent years, Buick has been out Lexus-ing Lexus with Hyundai pricing."

the Verano is a re-badged Chevrolet Cruze, people have to keep that in mind.
Factually, the Verano is a rebadged Opel Astra, with a Buick/GM powertrain and sound-insulation.

Here....see for yourself: Two pictures are worth a thousand words.

Astra:

Verano:

The Verano is actually a step above the ILX in interior materials, and more than one step up in quietness/insulation. Where the ILX is probably ahead, though, is in the Acura reputation for reliability.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-02-14 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-02-14, 02:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
Nothing to disagree with. The Verano and ILX compete with no Lexus.
That's your opinion. Not necessarily fact. Just as my opinions aren't necessarily always fact.

Buick and Acura fight themselves mostly. Caddy (not sure why that was thrown in) is clearly a luxury brand and Lexus competition.
Buick is becoming, increasingly, a Caddy substitute. Consumer Reports actually gives Buick a higher average road-test score than they do Cadillac.

Also, just so you don't get the wrong idea, I also want to make it clear that I'm not trying to use Car Chat as a platform to promote any one make or model of car (including the Verano) as a fanboy.....even though, during the time I've been on CL, I've owned several different makes, and have been satisfied with each of them.
Old 04-02-14, 02:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Enclave is considerably larger than the RX, and includes a third-row seat...a third-row seat, believe it or not, actually large enough for the average American adult (I can even fit into one in a pinch).

Size-wise, I agree....the SRX is more of a direct competitor. The RX, though, is noticably more refined in its driving manners. The SRX, IMO, is not really one of Cadillac's betterr products. Neither is the "flagship" XRS.
Old 04-02-14, 02:20 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Astra:

Verano:

The Verano is actually a step above the ILX in interior materials, and more than one step up in quietness/insulation. Where the ILX is probably ahead, though, is in the Acura reputation for reliability.
Of course, the American version has a better cupholder arrangement. +1 for the Goodguys!
Old 04-02-14, 02:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

According to Consumer Reports, "the entry level Verano is based on the Cruze, but with more upscale trimmings".

So that would also make the Cruze based on the Astra. No?
Old 04-02-14, 02:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The Enclave is considerably larger than the RX, and includes a third-row seat...a third-row seat, believe it or not, actually large enough for the average American adult (I can even fit into one in a pinch).
The size of the Enclave and whether it has three rows or now is completely irrelevant, it is the badge that matters.

the SRX is more of a direct competitor
Not more, the SRX is a direct competitor to the RX.
Old 04-02-14, 02:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
According to Consumer Reports, "the entry level Verano is based on the Cruze, but with more upscale trimmings".

So that would also make the Cruze based on the Astra. No?
The Cruze actually has closer ties to Daewoo than to Opel. I don't know why CR didn't pick that up this time....they are usually pretty good about things like that. But check the images above. You can see for yourself the extremely close relationship between the Astra and Verano....it's unmistakable. The main difference is the GM powertrain and Buick Quiet Tuning of the Verano.

In fact, that's one reason why I purchased a Verano in the first place. If it had been built with the same materials inside as the LaCrosse, or been simply a rebadged Cruze, I would have passed it up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-02-14 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-02-14, 02:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The size of the Enclave and whether it has three rows or now is completely irrelevant, it is the badge that matters.
Sometimes too much emphasis is put on badges and logos. What matters is what is under the badge. That's how I judge a car....and its competitors.

We're seeing that, now, to some extent. with the newer BMWs. They still have the same famed blue-white propeller on the hood, but what's under the badge is not quite the same magnet any more to driving-enthusiasts it has been for decades.

Not more, the SRX is a direct competitor to the RX.
OK, no problem. We agree on that. It is a competitor.
Old 04-02-14, 02:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Of course, the American version has a better cupholder arrangement. +1 for the Goodguys!
Yep. Europeans, as a group, are more likely to drink their coffee before they get behind thd wheel.
Old 04-02-14, 02:53 PM
LexFather

That's your opinion. Not necessarily fact. Just as my opinions aren't necessarily always fact.

Buick is becoming, increasingly, a Caddy substitute. Consumer Reports actually gives Buick a higher average road-test score than they do Cadillac.

Also, just so you don't get the wrong idea, I also want to make it clear that I'm not trying to use Car Chat as a platform to promote any one make or model of car (including the Verano) as a fanboy.....even though, during the time I've been on CL, I've owned several different makes, and have been satisfied with each of them.
I am not disagreeing with Buick at all as a brand competing with Lexus in some areas, mainly the Lacrosse and Enclave much like Acura competes with the TL and MDX both with the ES and RX. What I am saying and this isn't opinion, this is a FACT is that the Verano and ILX in absolutely no way shape or form compete with the IS. They share 4 doors and steering wheels. The Verano is based off a Cruze, the ILX is based off a Civic and compete with one another. The IS is a RWD luxury sport sedan based off the more expensive GS and costs at least 10k more base for base. There is more technology in the IS F-sport gauge cluster than in both those cars combined.

They do not compete with the IS, at all.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2014 Lexus IS250 AWD