Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Lexus IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 11:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I guess with the internet and car forums, anyone can be an automotive journalist these days.

The target customer for an IS could care less about under the hood.

You really have no idea what modern trends means for cars. Nobody cares about body side molding. I cannot believe that you are still stuck on this.

Buick and all there cheapo cars including the Verano compete with Chrysler. You really lose credibility writing this crap, but I guess it comes back to the whole internet and anyone can be auto journalist thing.

Gee, really? Where else would it be?
Wow ... Really? You do this to MMarshall? 47,000 posts?!

No one forced you to read his reviews if they are not up to your standards for automotive journalism.

Last edited by tex2670; 03-31-14 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-31-14, 11:24 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess with the internet and car forums, anyone can be an automotive journalist these days.

You really have no idea what modern trends means for cars. Nobody cares about body side molding. I cannot believe that you are still stuck on this.

Buick and all there cheapo cars including the Verano compete with Chrysler. You really lose credibility writing this crap, but I guess it comes back to the whole internet and anyone can be auto journalist thing.

WTF??? WAY off on your assessments here... WAY OFF... stunned by the commentary, perhaps don't read one person's opinion or don't maybe read anyone's opinions if they anger you so much, completely out of line

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep....and some of them do a better job than the pros.

Not totally true. Past versions of the IS have been popular with tuners, especially the original IS300....which, BTW, DID have a decent underhood layout.

Nobody?.....Then please explain why some manyfacturers are starting to bring them back

I just reviewed a new Malibu with a set of NICE factory body-side mouldings, though they were admitedly part of a fairly expensive option-package. Subaru has also brought them back on a number of its models.

Friend, those moldings are not as dead as you think. The American car-buying public is not dumb enough to let them die.

First, if you don't like my reviews, you're free to write your own. Practice what you just preached, and be your own journalist. Put the time you spend griping at mine to some constructive use. Second, The IS plays more or less the same role as an American market entry-level car for an upmarket brand as the Verano does.....and are about the same exterior size, though the IS generally runs somewhat more and incluses a V6. The Regal runs a little closer to the IS in price, and a little larger in size. Buick, these days, is joining Cadillac in becoming an increaingly important competitor to Lexus. The ES and Lacrosse, for instance, are becoming close rivals. You mentioned Chrysler. The past 200/Cirrus line was in many ways a POS, but the new one seems to show a lot of promise.

If you want to have a constructive, respectful discussion with me about cars, fine (let's do it), but I'm not going to continue to respond to rudeness.
WELL stated Mike
Old 03-31-14, 11:56 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Wow ... Really? You do this to MMarshall? 47,000 posts?!

No one forced you to read his reviews if they are not up to your standards for automotive journalism.
Lol right? CTJill needs to cool it. I don't agree with some of the things MMarshall writes but that tirade was completely unnecessary.
Old 03-31-14, 12:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Lol right? CTJill needs to cool it. I don't agree with some of the things MMarshall writes but that tirade was completely unnecessary.
I don't mind people disagreeing with me (that's part of posting and discussion), and I'll civilly discuss any automotive topic with anybody....like I've been doing since high school. All I ask is that they not be rude. And, of course, you are not rude.
Old 03-31-14, 12:10 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I don't expect anyone to be in 100% agreement with any other person; and part of the reason some of us are here is a forum for an exchange of view points. Rudeness is certainly uncalled for. But to base an attack on the premise that the reviewer is somehow not worth to write the review--I just don't get. If internet reviews are not worthwhile, don't read them.

Daniel Tosh earns a good living showing us all what kind of garbage is out there on the internet. I think we would all (except LexsCTJill, I guess...) agree that MMarshall's column does NOT fall in that category, but even if it did, again, don't read it.... Go get a Motor Trend subscription.

MMarshall's reviews are 100x better than the garbage the that Philadelphia Inquirer (i.e., "print journalists" from a respected newspaper) trots out there week after week as "auto reviews"...
Old 03-31-14, 01:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

LexsCTJill - please refrain from rude comments and categorical statements (everyone, no one) as you do not have a monopoly on truth.

mmarshall is always polite on here, and we expect you to be the same, even if you (strongly) disagree. bottom line: lighten up.
Old 03-31-14, 07:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
WELL stated Mike

Thanks, Russ.

I remember, a few years ago, when you were looking at the Shelby Mustang, Corvette Z06, and a couple of other road-burners, you did some nice write-ups yourself.

Originally Posted by tex2670
MMarshall's reviews are 100x better than the garbage the that Philadelphia Inquirer (i.e., "print journalists" from a respected newspaper) trots out there week after week as "auto reviews"...
Thanks, tex. I put a lot of effort into my reviews, but I admit they aren't always perfect. Sometimes I do make typos, punctuation errors, or an occasional mistake in data/specs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-31-14 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-01-14, 05:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, tex. I put a lot of effort into my reviews, but I admit they aren't always perfect. Sometimes I do make typos, punctuation errors, or an occasional mistake in data/specs.
So does the Philly Inquirer....
Old 04-01-14, 06:02 AM
LexFather

The Verano and ILX are not in any way shape or form competitors. Even the Regal and TSX named is a stretch.

In talking to owners of the IS most considered the 3 series more than anything.

Old 04-01-14, 06:57 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not into reviewing cars but I definitely like to read them. Truthfully I admire people who take the time to write one. The new IS250 is a nice looking car with some great features. But it's no way Lexus should have put the previous model year engine in the new model. I literally couldn't get pass a Corolla and an old Chevy truck this morning on the highway. That engine belongs in a civic. Even a v6 Accord and Camry have more power...
Ok moving on..
I think once again Lexus did a great job on the exterior. I think the new Lexus IS is the best looking car in its segment.
Old 04-01-14, 07:28 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
I'm not into reviewing cars but I definitely like to read them. Truthfully I admire people who take the time to write one. The new IS250 is a nice looking car with some great features. But it's no way Lexus should have put the previous model year engine in the new model. I literally couldn't get pass a Corolla and an old Chevy truck this morning on the highway. That engine belongs in a civic. Even a v6 Accord and Camry have more power...
Ok moving on..
I think once again Lexus did a great job on the exterior. I think the new Lexus IS is the best looking car in its segment.
If your couldn't pass a Corolla than either the Corolla was not stock or there's something wrong with your IS250. While the IS250 isn't the quickest car from dig. On the highway and during rolling acceleration it pulls quite nicely.
Old 04-01-14, 08:08 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Wow, snobby ***** much?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 04-01-14, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
The Verano and ILX are not in any way shape or form competitors. Even the Regal and TSX named is a stretch.
Mike...we're just going to agree to disagree on at least part of that one ......though, having reviewed one, I agree that the ILX is not terribly impressive. But, depending on model, Buick and Cadillac are both becoming significant Lexus competitors in the U.S, at least with lower-to-mid-line Lexus products. I agree, however, that neither Buick or Cadillac has anything that can compete with the LS460....the XLS, IMO, is not in the same league.

In talking to owners of the IS most considered the 3 series more than anything.
The new 3-series models, because of the de-sensitized electric power steering and some other factors, though still popular, no longer have quite the magic appeal they did for so many years. There is now more real competition...of which the IS, of course, is one.
Old 04-01-14, 09:08 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
If your couldn't pass a Corolla than either the Corolla was not stock or there's something wrong with your IS250. While the IS250 isn't the quickest car from dig. On the highway and during rolling acceleration it pulls quite nicely.
I don't know if the Corolla was stock or not. But I was a little embarrassed.
She probably got the jump!! ha ha
Old 04-01-14, 09:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogers2
But it's no way Lexus should have put the previous model year engine in the new model.
Originally Posted by yowps3
While the IS250 isn't the quickest car from dig. On the highway and during rolling acceleration it pulls quite nicely.
It might (?) just be a case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Like it or not, the last-generation IS250AWD sold very well, especially among females. In my area, though I don't have a cold hard figure on it, it appears to have outsold the RWD IS250 by at least 3 or 4 to 1....possibly more. That's remarkable, considering that, usually, our winters here in the D.C. area usually don't compare to those farther north and west.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2014 Lexus IS250 AWD