Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Lexus IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-14, 05:10 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With all due respect, that's the same line we heard with the disappearance of body side moldings for parking-lot protection. Yet some of those moldings are now coming back on the very newest models as standard, optional, or dealer-added...........all because of customer complaints (yes, like the ones I make in my reviews)

What IS long-behind us, unfortunately, are the days when auto manufacturers usually made marketing and design changes for good sensible reasons. Most things, today, are either money-driven or image-driven. That doesn't mean that sensible things aren't done anymmore....just less often.

IMO they are both MINUSES, and, in my reviews, both will stay in the MINUS column. However, I will make one partial-exception. If a manufacturer chooses to use run-flat tires, there's obviously no need for an inflator kit or a spare of any kind, temporary or not. But I still consider run-flats to be a partial cheap-out over a conventional set of tires and a real spare. Remember, unless unidirectional or different-sized tires are used front/rear, a real spare can usually be rotated with the other four tires and add 20% to their effective tread-lives.

If you still disagree with that in my reviews, fine. Just ignore it, skip over that part of it in the review, or, if you feel THAT strongly about it, feel free to write your own reviews. I show people courtesy and respect their opinions (as I do with yours here). But, in this case, I'm not going to change my own opinion, because I'm simply not convinced by the argument. A number of people indeed rely on roadside assistance nowadays to deal with flats. But, I don't think it should be forced on them as a matter of factory policy....or of having to use temporary spares that are good for only 50 miles at 50 MPH.

And, last, the fact that most dedicated off-roaders (Jeep Wrangler, Toyota4Runner/FJ Cruiser, etc..... and pickup trucks still DO come with a REAL spare, IMO, tells you how important they are.
Look--I hate it too, and I'm not advocating that it's a good change; and I'm not advocating that you should like it. But the spare tire issue is more than cost savings, like body side moldings. Weight savings contribute to increased fuel economy, and until CAFE requirements are scaled down, I just don't see any reversal of this horrible trend.

Personally, I don't understand why manufacturers don't move toward offering temp spares as an option over the inflator kit. On some level, it's offensive like when Toyota charges for carpeted floor mats on a $40,000 vehicle. But with a spare, I'd grumble, and negotiate, but ultimately buy it. I just hate it that cars I might like may not even offer it as an option--and that would eliminate that vehicle from consideration.

Last edited by tex2670; 03-31-14 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-27-14, 06:10 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about USA but no IS comes with an EGR here..
Old 03-27-14, 10:22 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Mike, as always... EXCELLENT!!!!

A Review of the 3rd-Generation 2014 Lexus IS250 AWD

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/explore/

But a big question is...is it worth a 38K base price and a 43K+ list price? Opinions will differ on that, but, no, not if it is money from my own bank-account....especially considering the design cost-cutting on this latest version. IMO, there are too many other good vehicles AWD products on the market at the same or lower price,.... if you DO decide to spring for a new IS (and, considering the way the last 2nd-generation IS250 AWD model sold in this area, I suspect a number of people will), you could indeed do a lot worse with your auto-dollars.

MM
+1
Old 03-27-14, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
I don't know about USA but no IS comes with an EGR here..
Your country may not (?) have the same strict emissions regulations we have in the U.S., Canada, and Western Europe. Those regulations are especially strict in California and some Northeastern states.
Old 03-27-14, 11:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Mike, as always... EXCELLENT!!!!

Thanks, Russ....glad you enjoyed it.

Stay tuned, BTW.......2014 Chevy Malibu review coming up in a few days.
Old 03-27-14, 12:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JDR76
That has not been my experience at all. I have long legs (36" inseam). I can put my front seat in the preferred position for me, then easily sit in the back seat behind it, with at least an inch of knee clearance. My daughter's car seat is also a much easier fit back there. She can sit behind me with room to spare, whereas that would not be possible in the 2IS. This was a huge deal for me and the first thing I checked out on the new IS. I needed the rear seat room.

I am seriously not trying to be argumentative here and hope you can appreciate the dialogue. Just trying to better understand your comments and offer another perspective.
Bingo. Quite frankly the small IS seems to offer the most front seat room of any Lexus and the rear seat is definitely larger. The 2IS the front seat would hit the rear seat.

What about the drive? The corners? The handling? That is what the IS excels in.

Old 03-27-14, 12:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
Bingo. Quite frankly the small IS seems to offer the most front seat room of any Lexus and the rear seat is definitely larger. The 2IS the front seat would hit the rear seat.
Front seat isn't bad, though short on headroom and thigh-support. Rear seat isn't quite as cramped in legroom as the 2IS, though still also short on headroom. I still wouldn't try to stuff any NBA guys back there....or even myself.

What about the drive? The corners? The handling? That is what the IS excels in.
The new 250AWD I sampled DID, in fact, have a pretty good ride/handling combo. Each was only compromised a small amount.....though, believe it or not, the FWD Chevy Malibu I sampled today had what seemed to me like quicker steering response. I'm working on that review now, and will post it in a couple of days.

Congratulations, BTW, on your wife's pregnancy, if you haven't already seen my comment in the thread you posted.
Old 03-27-14, 01:04 PM
LexFather

Front seat isn't bad, though short on headroom and thigh-support. Rear seat isn't quite as cramped in legroom as the 2IS, though still also short on headroom. I still wouldn't try to stuff any NBA guys back there....or even myself.

The new 250AWD I sampled DID, in fact, have a pretty good ride/handling combo. Each was only compromised a small amount.....though, believe it or not, the FWD Chevy Malibu I sampled today had what seemed to me like quicker steering response. I'm working on that review now, and will post it in a couple of days.

Congratulations, BTW, on your wife's pregnancy, if you haven't already seen my comment in the thread you posted.
Thanks.

I rented a Malibu for a few days last year, while a nice sedan it was sleep inducing which is fine, it targets the Camry. The steering was lifeless, as the Fusion. I find the IS to have some really accurate steering with good feedback.

I just feel like cars like the IS, the focus should be about the drive since that is what Lexus really focused on. People for years harped about how Lexus handled and drove and Lexus fixes and leads now in that area

Old 03-27-14, 02:19 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Thanks, Russ....glad you enjoyed it.

Stay tuned, BTW.......2014 Chevy Malibu review coming up in a few days.
Cool... but I'm eyeing another Optima SX-TDI when the Ms.' lease is up... too much car for the $$$
Old 03-27-14, 07:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
Thanks.

I rented a Malibu for a few days last year, while a nice sedan it was sleep inducing which is fine, it targets the Camry. The steering was lifeless, as the Fusion. I find the IS to have some really accurate steering with good feedback.
True, a Malibu could make you yawn on the Interstate, especially with the smoother-riding base wheels/tires. But the 3LT I sampled, with the 2.0 turbo and the larger wheels, makes a decent canyon-carver for a family-sedan. It's more than just a Camry with a bow-tie on the grille. I'll agree, though, that the butter-smooth electric power steering does lack front tire feedback.....it is no Miata in road feel. In that sense, yes, it is lifeless.

I just feel like cars like the IS, the focus should be about the drive since that is what Lexus really focused on. People for years harped about how Lexus handled and drove and Lexus fixes and leads now in that area
It seems to boil down, to some extent, to the same conflict between the same two sides. On one hand, you have traditional Lexus buyers, older people, unaggressive drivers, and even some younger ones who basically just want to keep the old Town-Car attributes of silence, smoothness, build-quality, and refinement that Lexus did so well in the 1990s. Then, on the other side, you have much of the auto press, sport-sedan/sport-car enthusiasts, those who autocross or do motorsports, and many younger males who basically want everything to imitate a Porsche or M3. The designers at Lexus are obviously caught in the middle. But, lately, they seem to have been making more and more concessions to the latter.
Old 03-28-14, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Cool... but I'm eyeing another Optima SX-TDI when the Ms.' lease is up... too much car for the $$$
It's too bad, IMO, that Kia dropped the EX-Turbo version of the Optima this year. It offered the turbo's extra power without the extra stiffness of the SX's sport-suspension. I wish more manufacturers would do that......but you rarely see it. Even on the Buick Verano Turbo, Buick doesn't do a full sport-suspension like on the Regal GS, but the spring rates are still some 18% stiffer than on the non-turbo.
Old 03-29-14, 02:57 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

The truth is you can never make anyone truly happy lol
Old 03-29-14, 09:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
The truth is you can never make anyone truly happy lol
True. CAR CHAT, of course, proves that.
Old 03-31-14, 10:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I guess with the internet and car forums, anyone can be an automotive journalist these days.

Generally poor underhood layout.
The target customer for an IS could care less about under the hood.

No body side mouldings for parking-lot protection.
You really have no idea what modern trends means for cars. Nobody cares about body side molding. I cannot believe that you are still stuck on this.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Infiniti Q50, Buick Verano/Regal, Cadillac ATS, Audi A3/A4, Acura ILX/TSX, Volvo S60, BMW 320/328, Mercedes C250/CLA250
Buick and all there cheapo cars including the Verano compete with Chrysler. You really lose credibility writing this crap, but I guess it comes back to the whole internet and anyone can be auto journalist thing.

Temporary spare tire in the trunk
Gee, really? Where else would it be?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-31-14 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-31-14, 11:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I guess with the internet and car forums, anyone can be an automotive journalist these days.
Yep....and some of them do a better job than the pros.

The target customer for an IS could care less about under the hood.
Not totally true. Past versions of the IS have been popular with tuners, especially the original IS300....which, BTW, DID have a decent underhood layout.

You really have no idea what modern trends means for cars. Nobody cares about body side molding. I cannot believe that you are still stuck on this.
Nobody?.....Then please explain why some manufacturers are starting to bring them back

I just reviewed a new Malibu with a set of NICE factory body-side mouldings, though they were admitedly part of a fairly expensive option-package. Subaru has also brought them back on a number of its models.

Friend, those moldings are not as dead as you think. The American car-buying public is not dumb enough to let them die.

Buick and all there cheapo cars including the Verano compete with Chrysler. You really lose credibility writing this crap, but I guess it comes back to the whole internet and anyone can be auto journalist thing.
First, if you don't like my reviews, you're free to write your own. Practice what you just preached, and be your own journalist. Put the time you spend griping at mine to some constructive use. Second, The IS plays more or less the same role as an American market entry-level car for an upmarket brand as the Verano does.....and are about the same exterior size, though the IS generally runs somewhat more and incluses a V6. The Regal runs a little closer to the IS in price, and a little larger in size. Buick, these days, is joining Cadillac in becoming an increaingly important competitor to Lexus. The ES and Lacrosse, for instance, are becoming close rivals. You mentioned Chrysler. The past 200/Cirrus line was in many ways a POS, but the new one seems to show a lot of promise.

If you want to have a constructive, respectful discussion with me about cars, fine (let's do it), but I'm not going to continue to respond to rudeness.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-31-14 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2014 Lexus IS250 AWD