Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Compact Luxury SUVs - Will the NX come out on top?

Old 04-01-14, 05:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well 'enough' is subjective, so for some, maybe, but not to compete featurewise with lexus, audi, bmw, mercedes - main luxury players. it's just missing far too many features and options.
i never have been in the RDX, but X1 and Q5 that I spent some time in are not really that great with features in base models... in fact, few BMW lovers we have here always say that they get base versions with few options (same happens in Europe as well).
Old 01-29-15, 06:06 PM
Mehul1456
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Agreed. The RX is in a sweet spot with the price to size equation...with the NX sitting more squarely with its competitors I seriously doubt it would be able to pull of that much of a lead from the RDX on the bottom end and the X3/GLK/Q5 on the top end.
The thing is wether or not the NX is the top seller... it has most definitely set a standard that will be difficult to beat. The exterior is upbeat and new age. the interior is all new and extremely comfortable and appealing to the passengers. Just look at how the "mouse pad" falls perfectly inline with how one's are rests on the console. The whole interior on the NX is just more updated and unique. Audi and BMW although nice and full of features are, might I say "boring" in comparison and MB seems to be an"older" style. MB and BMW also cost an amd and leg more than a comparably equipped "loaded" Lexus
Lexus has set and great example and I think that they have set an example for the rest. I expect that we will see more interiors styled similar to the Lexus NX/.....

Last edited by Mehul1456; 01-29-15 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-29-15, 06:48 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mehul1456
The thing is wether or not the NX is the top seller... it has most definitely set a standard that will be difficult to beat. The exterior is upbeat and new age. the interior is all new and extremely comfortable and appealing to the passengers. Just look at how the "mouse pad" falls perfectly inline with how one's are rests on the console. The whole interior on the NX is just more updated and unique. Audi and BMW although nice and full of features are, might I say "boring" in comparison and MB seems to be an"older" style. MB and BMW also cost an amd and leg more than a comparably equipped "loaded" Lexus
Lexus has set and great example and I think that they have set an example for the rest. I expect that we will see more interiors styled similar to the Lexus NX/.....
1) Let's not forget that the Q5/GLK/X3 came out in 2009/2010/2011, so of course they're looking a bit old
2) I'm going to have disagree with the interior comment. The NX breaks no new ground- it's nice looking but the controller and screen placement are nothing new in the luxury car arena. We also know that the GLK is going to look exactly like the C-class inside, so it's not wanting for design. I suspect the Q5 and X3 won't disappoint either.
3) the exterior of the NX is indeed a breath of fresh air and uniquely Lexus. I'm glad they found a design to call their own.
Old 01-29-15, 07:08 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
1) Let's not forget that the Q5/GLK/X3 came out in 2009/2010/2011, so of course they're looking a bit old
2) I'm going to have disagree with the interior comment. The NX breaks no new ground- it's nice looking but the controller and screen placement are nothing new in the luxury car arena. We also know that the GLK is going to look exactly like the C-class inside, so it's not wanting for design. I suspect the Q5 and X3 won't disappoint either.
3) the exterior of the NX is indeed a breath of fresh air and uniquely Lexus. I'm glad they found a design to call their own.
Yeah this segment will remain very competitive. In addition to the NX, the new gen GLK and Q5 are on the way. You also have the new MKC and a refreshed RDX. I'm not sure of the status of the current gen X3, but it is a solid performer. I don't think anyone is going to run away in the sales area, but it will be good for the consumers shopping in the compact luxury CUV segment..
Old 01-29-15, 07:32 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing Lexus really needs is a larger engine. 235hp is enough for most, but you have a group of people out there buying X3 35is, SQ5s and GLK 350s... and Lexus doesn't really offer anything there.

I would really like to see an NX 350 with the next generation V6 that will go into the Camry,ES 350, Avalon, etc. That would leave the higher output V6 from the IS and GS for the RX.
Old 01-29-15, 08:01 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

So far, besides mine, I've seen a handful already in just the last couple weeks in my area, more than what I recall seeing the 3IS in the same period.

Anxious to see the January sales in a couple days to see how it compares to the high-selling RDX among the others. It is getting popular thanks to new owners joing the NX forum at a fairly quick pace. My guess is the NX sales will still be lower than the RDX in Jan only because of lack of public awareness, yet I expect a bigger bump in February - thanks to the Superbowl ad?
Old 01-30-15, 08:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
So far, besides mine, I've seen a handful already in just the last couple weeks in my area, more than what I recall seeing the 3IS in the same period.

Anxious to see the January sales in a couple days to see how it compares to the high-selling RDX among the others. It is getting popular thanks to new owners joing the NX forum at a fairly quick pace. My guess is the NX sales will still be lower than the RDX in Jan only because of lack of public awareness, yet I expect a bigger bump in February - thanks to the Superbowl ad?
If people will actually GO to a Lincoln dealership (and Ford could help out here some by making them more widespread, as they recurrently only handled at select Ford shops) and LOOK at an MKC, I think the MKC has the potential to be a significant competitor to the NX. The NX, of course, will (probably) have the well-established Lexus reliability and customer service (and a glass-smooth paint job), but the MKC, in my opinion, has a better interior, richer-looking trim, more comfortable seats up front, easy push-buttons for the transmission-shift instead of the awkward zig-zag lever, and a better choice of exterior paint colors. Neither the NX nor the MKC, though, has a (proper, IMO) V6 option.....something that both manufacturers ned to address. CAFE rules or not, 4-banger turbos, IMO, just don't cut it in this class of vehicle. In the NX's case, at least, Lexus already has a good small 2.L V6 in the IS250.....with some work, it could (probably) be adapted to the NX's transverse FWD layout. In fact, I'm going back to the D.C. auto show this afternoon.....that's something I'll probably suggest to the Lexus people there.
Old 01-30-15, 08:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Lincoln sold 2,300 MKC's in December. On an annualized basis that's not too far off of the sales on some of the other CUV's in the segment. Its styling isn't as polarizing as the NX and probably draws a little different (older) buyer than the NX.
Old 01-30-15, 04:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Lincoln sold 2,300 MKC's in December. On an annualized basis that's not too far off of the sales on some of the other CUV's in the segment. Its styling isn't as polarizing as the NX and probably draws a little different (older) buyer than the NX.
Agreed on the age group......at the D.C. auto show, from what I saw, most of the people checking out the two MKCs there seemed to be on display there are middle-age or older. Still, I'd probably buy one (I like its overall execution), though the cheap flimsy flat-black plastic column-stalks and shift-paddles seem out of place in a Lincoln, and are cheap-feeling even in the loser-cost Ford Escape. But the wood trim and leather in the MKC is first-rate.

The candy-apple-red NX at the D.C. auto show, right in the center of the Lexus display (gotta admit it was a nice paint job) didn't seem to draw that much traffic at all considering its newness and novelty....though, surprisingly, it did draw more onlookers than the RX, which has been one of Lexus's best-sellers for years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-30-15 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-30-15, 05:42 PM
LazarusLng
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ford in general just has a look that I've never cared for. I personally, will never be purchasing a Lincoln.
Old 01-30-15, 05:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

it is hard to predict long term sales based on 1 month.... MKC is solid though, good pricing and I am sure Ford will bring out the incentives later on.
Old 01-30-15, 08:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If people will actually GO to a Lincoln dealership (and Ford could help out here some by making them more widespread, as they recurrently only handled at select Ford shops) and LOOK at an MKC, I think the MKC has the potential to be a significant competitor to the NX. The NX, of course, will (probably) have the well-established Lexus reliability and customer service (and a glass-smooth paint job), but the MKC, in my opinion, has a better interior, richer-looking trim, more comfortable seats up front, easy push-buttons for the transmission-shift instead of the awkward zig-zag lever...

Mike. I agree on the MKC being a good overall product and that it needs a look. In fact I did over last summer. Where I disagree is, besides styling which is subjective, the MKC does not have a better or richer interior than the NX if we talk purely on material quality and fit/finish. The MKC visibly falls behind as I posted here in your solid review of the MKC. The soft-touch plastic has a sheen "rubbermaid" look to it in most areas and it's not the kind of build quality I expect in a luxury brand. Which is why I unfortunately (for Lincoln) quietly walked away that day and why I keep going back to Lexus. Of course, I expect other buyers might not be bothered by these issues and value the MKC for its other strengths (front seats, power, etc). I'm including a couple pics in this post for easier reference as to what I'm talking about. .
Attached Thumbnails Compact Luxury SUVs - Will the NX come out on top?-336683d1405975709-first-drive-2015-lincoln-mkc-mkc_6a.jpg   Compact Luxury SUVs - Will the NX come out on top?-336684d1405975709-first-drive-2015-lincoln-mkc-mkc_7a.jpg   Compact Luxury SUVs - Will the NX come out on top?-336685d1405975709-first-drive-2015-lincoln-mkc-mkc_8a.jpg  
Old 01-30-15, 09:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

A few issues with the MKC sales, while they are good, one must consider the fact that the MSRP is $1400 lower than the NX and there is a $1000 discount as well as 0% financing. So right there MKC is priced almost $2400 less than a NX and the 0% financing adds even more. Finally free maintenance for 2 years further adds to the discounts.
Old 01-31-15, 02:58 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there such a thing as luxury CUV? Im not so sure, there is a CUV with premium badge but from what I can tell NX, Q5, RDX or CX5 all feel the same, do the same and even smell the same. Cant brush off that cheap whiff when I first got into NX. Dumping $50,000+ on CUV is as bad as dumping that much on entry luxury sedan.
Old 01-31-15, 06:17 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vladi
Is there such a thing as luxury CUV? Im not so sure, there is a CUV with premium badge but from what I can tell NX, Q5, RDX or CX5 all feel the same, do the same and even smell the same. Cant brush off that cheap whiff when I first got into NX. Dumping $50,000+ on CUV is as bad as dumping that much on entry luxury sedan.
Like all segments, it's beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The segment is hot right now and brands like Acura, Audi, BMW, Caddy, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, MB etc. will offer these CUV's until the consumer moves on to something else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Compact Luxury SUVs - Will the NX come out on top?