Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Compact Luxury SUVs - Will the NX come out on top?

Old 03-22-14, 06:21 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts
Question Compact Luxury SUVs - Will the NX come out on top?

The NX is heading into a highly competitive and saturated market with many new upcoming contenders such as the GLA, Q3, and MKC. Will it come out on top in its class, like its big brother, the RX?
Attached Thumbnails Compact Luxury SUVs - Will the NX come out on top?-nxturbo.jpg   Compact Luxury SUVs - Will the NX come out on top?-febsales.jpg  
Old 03-22-14, 06:42 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly Doubt it. Just my own Opinion.

I can't think of anything out there is to beat the RX even now. The MDX is very close, he SRX from Cadillac is a Mezhhh
Old 03-22-14, 09:48 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The SRX was mirrored after the RX, look how close that is. Looking at the ATS and CTS and how good they are, its safe to say the 3rd gen SRX is going to expand on its success even more. That said, the 2016 RX needs to come out swinging. Hope they up the luxury quotient, the ML and Q5 are both available with giant panoramic roofs and second row climate controls two things not to be found on the RX. The new Highlander cabin with its nice materials makes a strong case that the RX needs to do more.
Old 03-22-14, 01:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The SRX was mirrored after the RX, look how close that is. Looking at the ATS and CTS and how good they are, its safe to say the 3rd gen SRX is going to expand on its success even more. That said, the 2016 RX needs to come out swinging. Hope they up the luxury quotient, the ML and Q5 are both available with giant panoramic roofs and second row climate controls two things not to be found on the RX. The new Highlander cabin with its nice materials makes a strong case that the RX needs to do more.
Yikes at comparo... RX sold 104k in 2013,9% rise from 2012 (SRX sold 50% less)... Numbers for Feb are lower due factory being down due to snow. All without giant panoramic roof :-).

On the other hand, NX is not being built specifically for US market, so while NX+RX sales will certainly rise, i doubt it will close anything close to matching RX numbers.

Maybe we (car enthusiasts in forums) will like NX better than RX though. That does not make it great sales success though.
Old 03-22-14, 02:44 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by spwolf
Yikes at comparo... RX sold 104k in 2013,9% rise from 2012 (SRX sold 50% less)... Numbers for Feb are lower due factory being down due to snow. All without giant panoramic roof :-).

On the other hand, NX is not being built specifically for US market, so while NX+RX sales will certainly rise, i doubt it will close anything close to matching RX numbers.

Maybe we (car enthusiasts in forums) will like NX better than RX though. That does not make it great sales success though.
It's a fair comparo, my comment was geared toward the SRX itself, not exactly it's the Overall sales numbers. The RX is the benchmark, and that's exactly what the second gen SRX was matched against when GM went to redesign. Their numbers are very similar on paper.

I'm glad the NX is coming. The RX has been straddling for too long now. Without having to do double duty anymore it can evolve and grow. The NX is essentially the size of the original RX filling the void the RX left. Similar to how the ATS allowed the CTS to move up

The RX is a great vehicle and is very competent and people know this hence it's sales success. But that does not excuse the lack of available options and those available on competitors. I was driving a '12 ML350 the other day, and was most impressed with the steering feel, cabin noise (lack of), how well it absorbed bumps, good power albeit a little gruff sounding. Unlike the RX though, its not as intuitive or logical with some controls. The pano roof was nice
Old 03-22-14, 03:39 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
I honestly Doubt it. Just my own Opinion.

I can't think of anything out there is to beat the RX even now. The MDX is very close, he SRX from Cadillac is a Mezhhh
Agreed. The RX is in a sweet spot with the price to size equation...with the NX sitting more squarely with its competitors I seriously doubt it would be able to pull of that much of a lead from the RDX on the bottom end and the X3/GLK/Q5 on the top end.
Old 03-22-14, 04:32 PM
kwr
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The RX has been straddling for too long now. The RX is a great vehicle and is very competent and people know this hence it's sales success. But that does not excuse the lack of available options and those available on competitors. I was driving a '12 ML350 the other day, and was most impressed with the steering feel, cabin noise (lack of), how well it absorbed bumps, good power albeit a little gruff sounding. Unlike the RX though, its not as intuitive or logical with some controls. The pano roof was nice
It's going to be interesting to see what impact the NX has on the compact SUV class and RX sales. I've always felt like the RX (since the 2nd gen) was lacking luxury features compared to the competition. I chalked this up as the RX being priced lower than the ML, X5, Cayenne, etc. and essentially being a Camry station wagon.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Agreed. The RX is in a sweet spot with the price to size equation...
Yes I agree price is one of the positive attribute's of the RX. Given this, increasing the price too much removes the value equation. Lexus needs to tread carefully. The LX and Land Cruiser are examples of how a huge price increase from one generation to the next can kill volume.
Old 03-22-14, 05:09 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by kwr
It's going to be interesting to see what impact the NX has on the compact SUV class and RX sales. I've always felt like the RX (since the 2nd gen) was lacking luxury features compared to the competition. I chalked this up as the RX being priced lower than the ML, X5, Cayenne, etc. and essentially being a Camry station wagon.

Yes I agree price is one of the positive attribute's of the RX. Given this, increasing the price too much removes the value equation. Lexus needs to tread carefully. The LX and Land Cruiser are examples of how a huge price increase from one generation to the next can kill volume.
Yeah, there's things like heated rear seats, height adjustable tailgate and pano roof available on top level Pathfinders but not on a RX - not right.. But yeah I'm happy that the RX can rightfully move up in class and compete with its peers better. It did after start with the RX and ML, time to grow up.

The LX doesn't sell in large numbers Stateside, but it does sell in droves still in the UAE and Middle East still.
Old 03-22-14, 05:22 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Here's my take. It somewhat mirrors most of your comments above.

If the NX has that same magical ratio on price/size/features as the RX has over its competitors AND the RX grows in size for MY 2016 to distinguish itself from the NX in price and size, the NX will grow towards the top soon enough (within 2 years is my guesstimate) but possibly cannibalizing some RX sales in the process. This magical ratio will have to be such that it will have the roominess of an X3/Q5/GLK, with the price point of an X1/Q3/GLA similarly equipped. By attacking the "bottom" and "top" tiers of its competitors like the RX has done, it stands a very good chance at climbing to numero uno.

Getting specific here so if the NX can carve out about 30 cu ft of cargo, 42/35 inches of f/r legroom, and at least 95 cu ft of interior room, with a price range of 35-47K USD offering competitive features, show me the dotted line. Four more weeks folks for the reveal!
Old 03-22-14, 05:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Here's my take. It somewhat mirrors most of your comments above.

If the NX has that same magical ratio on price/size/features as the RX has over its competitors AND the RX grows in size for MY 2016 to distinguish itself from the NX in price and size, the NX will grow towards the top soon enough (within 2 years is my guesstimate) but possibly cannibalizing some RX sales in the process. This magical ratio will have to be such that it will have the roominess of an X3/Q5/GLK, with the price point of an X1/Q3/GLA similarly equipped. By attacking the "bottom" and "top" tiers of its competitors like the RX has done, it stands a very good chance at climbing to numero uno.

Getting specific here so if the NX can carve out about 30 cu ft of cargo, 42/35 inches of f/r legroom, and at least 95 cu ft of interior room, with a price range of 35-47K USD offering competitive features, show me the dotted line. Four more weeks folks for the reveal!
NX will not be cheap.

You cant have it all.
Old 03-22-14, 05:31 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The RX is in kind of the goldilocks in the mid size SUV segment, not as large as something like the ML or X5 but now as small as the GLK or X3.

Will the NX be in the middle of the GLK/X3 and GLA/X1?
Old 03-23-14, 06:17 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Four more weeks folks for the reveal!

Yes, I think this thread is premature when we don't have any specs, options, costs or a clear photo yet. I think we've done all the speculation possible.

I am sad to hear my RX350 is just a Camry wagon
Old 03-23-14, 06:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
The RX is in kind of the goldilocks in the mid size SUV segment, not as large as something like the ML or X5 but now as small as the GLK or X3.

Will the NX be in the middle of the GLK/X3 and GLA/X1?
NX seems to be more like IS and GS than ES/RX... So it will be X3 competitor and similar to X3 prices. It will not start at 30k.
Old 03-24-14, 04:26 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I am sad to hear my RX350 is just a Camry wagon
Does this surprise you? I was fully aware of that before we bought ours. The salesman was mortified when I mentioned it though.
Old 03-24-14, 05:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
Does this surprise you? I was fully aware of that before we bought ours. The salesman was mortified when I mentioned it though.
I think he was being sarcastic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Compact Luxury SUVs - Will the NX come out on top?