Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Compact Luxury SUVs - Will the NX come out on top?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-15, 07:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A few issues with the MKC sales, while they are good, one must consider the fact that the MSRP is $1400 lower than the NX and there is a $1000 discount as well as 0% financing. So right there MKC is priced almost $2400 less than a NX and the 0% financing adds even more. Finally free maintenance for 2 years further adds to the discounts.
All good and valid points.....but one must remember that Lincoln had little choice but to give these incentives, besides introducing what is (arguably) their first decent and truly competitive new product in several years. Unlike Lexus, which had (and still has) a strong position today in the luxury-car market (and your dad, of course, just helped them out a little) , it's no secret that Lincoln has been facing a dicey existence lately.

But that's not the only way that Lincoln seems to be trying to reach out and impress potential customers. I noticed that, at the D.C. Auto Show, Lincoln went to great lengths to create an attractive and comfortable show-display area, with soft leather seats/couches for weary showgoers (who are often on their feet for hours) to sit on, large living-room style reading-lamps and nicely-finished tables to spread out material on and use their laptops or read things. No other manufacturer at the D.C. show had such an attractive or comfortable display area. Of course, comfortable sitting areas don't necessarily sell cars, but it shows that Lincoln is trying to treat potential customers with respect. They also were giving out pre-paid $75 gift-cards for test-drives, although they will unfortunately expire before the new MKX (the center of the Lincoln display this year, as the MKC was last year) is released to dealers this summer. I still plan on test-driving a new MKX, if not a full-review. It's GOT to be better than the last one was (I reviewed a current-geneneration MKX last spring, before the new MKC was released)....and I found it very unimpressive for a luxury-class SUV, essentially just a Ford Edge with some extra trim and standard equipment.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-31-15 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-31-15, 08:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Mike. I agree on the MKC being a good overall product and that it needs a look. In fact I did over last summer. Where I disagree is, besides styling which is subjective, the MKC does not have a better or richer interior than the NX if we talk purely on material quality and fit/finish. The MKC visibly falls behind as I posted here in your solid review of the MKC. The soft-touch plastic has a sheen "rubbermaid" look to it in most areas and it's not the kind of build quality I expect in a luxury brand. Which is why I unfortunately (for Lincoln) quietly walked away that day and why I keep going back to Lexus. Of course, I expect other buyers might not be bothered by these issues and value the MKC for its other strengths (front seats, power, etc). I'm including a couple pics in this post for easier reference as to what I'm talking about. .

No problem...you bring up some valid points. I agree that not everything on the MKC is better than the NX by any means (And both, IMO, short out some in the engine department, where, despite the power of 4-cylinder turbos, a nice refined small V6 would be welcome). The MKC's doors, despite SOLID exterior door-handles, also aren't particularly solid in the sheet-metal department, and tend to shut with a somewhat tinny clicking noise (typical of a number of Ford products) instead of a solid thunk. But the MKC's rich wood trim and general interior ambience, IMO, helps make up for some of the "Rubbermaid" vinyl/plastic that you mention. It is also available in some (IMO) gorgeous exterior colors that tend to be neglected by most other manufacturers....such as Karat Gold and Tahitian Pearl (which is a dark Amythist Purple).
Old 01-31-15, 10:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Like all segments, it's beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The segment is hot right now and brands like Acura, Audi, BMW, Caddy, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, MB etc. will offer these CUV's until the consumer moves on to something else.
The segment is red hot right now. However, I think the NX will do a better job of attracting a newer younger buyer to the Lexus brand than the Lincoln will.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-31-15 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-31-15, 10:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Mike. I agree on the MKC being a good overall product and that it needs a look. In fact I did over last summer. Where I disagree is, besides styling which is subjective, the MKC does not have a better or richer interior than the NX if we talk purely on material quality and fit/finish. The MKC visibly falls behind as I posted here in your solid review of the MKC. The soft-touch plastic has a sheen "rubbermaid" look to it in most areas and it's not the kind of build quality I expect in a luxury brand. Which is why I unfortunately (for Lincoln) quietly walked away that day and why I keep going back to Lexus. Of course, I expect other buyers might not be bothered by these issues and value the MKC for its other strengths (front seats, power, etc). I'm including a couple pics in this post for easier reference as to what I'm talking about. .
I think the interior is the deal breaker for me. The Lexus looks like a much better design whereas the Lincoln looks like it is straight out of the early 2000s.

I'm also not sold on the PRNDL buttons, they do not look classy or luxurious at all. I don't mind a dial like the RAM but the buttons just don't work for me.
Old 01-31-15, 12:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ LexusCTJill - Agree with your interior design opinions - I feel a similar way, but if the fit/finish and materials were better, I would enjoy the overall interior more.

Mike, nice to hear what Lincoln is doing to re-invent itself. For a die-hard import buyer like myself, the fact that I went to a Ford/Lincoln dealer last summer is a testament to how far they've come. If they can now just put together a world-class interior mated to the build quality we expect when we pay a premium, combine this with a solid exterior design theme they seem to have, and I may be back at their doorstep.

Any pics of the Lincoln setup or any of the NX competitors' at the Detroit Autoshow?

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-31-15 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-01-15, 01:48 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Is there such a thing as luxury CUV? Im not so sure, there is a CUV with premium badge but from what I can tell NX, Q5, RDX or CX5 all feel the same, do the same and even smell the same. Cant brush off that cheap whiff when I first got into NX. Dumping $50,000+ on CUV is as bad as dumping that much on entry luxury sedan.
i concur. I'd much rather get a MDX for around $50,000