Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Compact Luxury SUVs - Will the NX come out on top?

Old 03-24-14, 03:00 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is not f-sport NX, as you can see by the pics, it doesnt have f-sport features.

NX will have 2.0t and 300h engines so far.
In the U.S. with the NX, there will be a lot of engine choices in the segment. GLK has V6 and 4 cyl. diesel, X3 has 4 cyl. and 6 cyl. turbos, Q5 has 4 cyl. turbo, V6 supercharged, V6 diesel, and hybrid, RDX V6 etc. A lot for consumers to choose from.
Old 03-24-14, 04:23 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
What is a LF?
LF has denoted all the Lexus Future (see, LF) concept cars. LF-LC, LF-CC, LF-NX
Old 03-24-14, 04:27 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
LF has denoted all the Lexus Future (see, LF) concept cars. LF-LC, LF-CC, LF-NX
I see. Thanks.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-24-14 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-24-14, 05:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr
No the Highlander outsells the RX. Think you are splitting hairs. It is fact that the Highlander, RX, Camry, ES and Avalon, Venza, etc. share the same platform. To think that these vehicles do not share parts like switch gear, "mechanicals", ...etc. is just not true.

The NX as you know will share platforms will the RAV-4 and corolla. Using your logic, if the NX outsells the RAV-4, next generation NX platform might be designed as a Lexus first and then scaled for a Corolla and RAV-4. This seems highly unlikely.

Now I wish I would have never mentioned the Camry wagon.
Highlander sells only in the US and certainly does not outsell the RX worldwide. Nor does Avalon outsell ES worldwide. Obviously more important vehicle would be given priority by engineering team.

So yes, if NX sells 500,000 in 2015, I am sure that Toyota would give it priority.

And no, sharing platforms does not work the way you think... MC platform is shared by 30+ vehicles and a most of them dont share engineering at all. Highlander and old RX shared mechanicals, not just vaguely defined platform term. To my understanding so far, NX and Rav4 will also share mechanicals at the same time, despite Corolla and other 30 cars being on same MC platform, they wont share suspension and anything but powertrains with them. Switches and such are irrelevant.

I am not being hurt over Camry wagon term - i could care less, and I dont care about RX at all. However I am trying to point out how little platform means for Toyota, and this is a big reason for RX success - you never felt like you were in Highlander, let alone Corolla. When people wrongly use platform term, I usually point out how Rav4, Corolla and MR-S shared "platform", despite being completely differently engineered cars.

At the same time, this is actually changing. So it is quite possible that after 2015 and new TNGA comes out, you could actually say something like this and it would be true.

The TNGA strategy includes smart use of common parts, grouped development of the models and global standardization. To facilitate this, Kato said Toyota will establish a medium to long-term product lineup that will group development of various models.

"More than half of the parts of each vehicle should be common," Kato said. "We are aiming at 20 or 30 percent cost reduction in the development process."

Toyota’s Kato expects big cost savings from parts-sharing push.

He gave examples of how this will be achieved.

Toyota will group driver hip points on different models and platforms into a single optimal driving position per segment, creating simpler, more easily assembled structures and reducing the variety of parts within the cockpit. The number of types of airbags, for example, will be cut from 50 at present to 10 or even fewer.

• Toyota will also adopt global open-standard alternators and globally standardized connector shapes and communications formats to simplify procurement.
So basically, what everyone thought that "platform" means, will come into play with TNGA in 2015. As you can see today, aside from engines and irrelevant switches, very little is actually being shared across 30+ models in single "platform" - they even have 50 different airbag models! But in the very near future, a lot more parts will be shared, even driving position will...
Old 03-24-14, 05:54 PM
kwr
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Highlander sells only in the US and certainly does not outsell the RX worldwide. Nor does Avalon outsell ES worldwide. Obviously more important vehicle would be given priority by engineering team.
Obviously I was referring to US sales. We can agree to disagree RE: current platform sharing. The RX and Highlander are akin to the Land Cruiser and the LX. Of course the RX has been differentiated enough (i.e., sound deadening materials, premium leather, features, etc.) from the Highlander to make an RX purchase meaningful.

I agree going forward platform sharing will be less relevant as Toyota/Lexus rolls out its platform strategy similar to VW to cut cost. For the most part all automakers plan to share platforms....
Old 03-24-14, 06:50 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

spwolf, Thanks for sharing the info.

The notion of referring an RX as only a Camry Station wagon is way off base.
Old 03-24-14, 07:32 PM
kwr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rogerh00
spwolf, Thanks for sharing the info.

The notion of referring an RX as only a Camry Station wagon is way off base.
The reference is not off base... Again as I previous stated, this reference has not impacted sales. I see no issue with the shared platform.

http://www.cars-lexus.com/lexus_rx.html
http://www.automotive.com/lexus/rx330/t3-13-3/
http://www.algysautos.com/toyota-har...xus-rx300.html

Lexus RX: The History of the Model
Lexus RX 300 model made its debut in 1999. Compact off-roader was based on Toyota Camry.

Last edited by kwr; 03-24-14 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-24-14, 09:16 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by kwr
The reference is not off base... Again as I previous stated, this reference has not impacted sales. I see no issue with the shared platform.

http://www.cars-lexus.com/lexus_rx.html
http://www.automotive.com/lexus/rx330/t3-13-3/
http://www.algysautos.com/toyota-har...xus-rx300.html

Lexus RX: The History of the Model
Lexus RX 300 model made its debut in 1999. Compact off-roader was based on Toyota Camry.
I think we may have a semantics problem. No where do I see any reference to the RX being essentially a Camry Wagon as you state. I agree and it has been shown the RX is based on the Camry platform as are 30+ other models. I don't agree you can use both references. The Camry wagon tag to me is a smug put down on the Luxury RX and is not deserved. The wagon isn't even built anymore.

I also have never understood that the RX was an off road vehicle according to your first link. The author of the article isn't even quoted so who knows how accurate the whole web site is. I owned a RX 300 and it was not designed to be driven off road. It was a true crossover lightly based on the Camry platform.
Old 03-25-14, 07:24 AM
jsanders
Driver

i just hope lexus doesn't go the way of acura and cadillac with that overly edgy, aggressive styling - very ugly IMO
Old 03-25-14, 07:43 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think we may have a semantics problem. No where do I see any reference to the RX being essentially a Camry Wagon as you state. I agree and it has been shown the RX is based on the Camry platform as are 30+ other models. I don't agree you can use both references. The Camry wagon tag to me is a smug put down on the Luxury RX and is not deserved. The wagon isn't even built anymore.

I also have never understood that the RX was an off road vehicle according to your first link. The author of the article isn't even quoted so who knows how accurate the whole web site is. I owned a RX 300 and it was not designed to be driven off road. It was a true crossover lightly based on the Camry platform.
What is lightly based? Either it is or not. It's nothing wrong with the RX being based off a Camry. The Camry is a dam good vehicle and for owners of RX's to act like it isn't is silly. From the article above it sounds like it's going to be alot more sharing. I honestly think the RX sales are so high b/c it's based off the qualities of the Camry.
Old 03-25-14, 08:13 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by rogers2
What is lightly based? Either it is or not. It's nothing wrong with the RX being based off a Camry. The Camry is a dam good vehicle and for owners of RX's to act like it isn't is silly. From the article above it sounds like it's going to be alot more sharing. I honestly think the RX sales are so high b/c it's based off the qualities of the Camry.
Excuse me, by lightly I meant it was based on the Camry platform but modified for the RX. If you read my last post I did say and agree the RX was based on the Camry platform so your rant was a waste of time.

I think this subject is exhausted and hope we can back on point discussing the NX.
Old 03-25-14, 09:20 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Excuse me, by lightly I meant it was based on the Camry platform but modified for the RX. If you read my last post I did say and agree the RX was based on the Camry platform so your rant was a waste of time.

I think this subject is exhausted and hope we can back on point discussing the NX.
Actually my rant was on point. Camry based
NX may not outsell the RX but I do feel it will do very well. Lexus just got price the vehicle right. Maybe move the RX price up. People are not going to stop buying the RX if Lexus increase the price 5K.
Old 03-25-14, 09:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm sure the NX will take some sales from the RX, but the brand would rather they capture these compact luxury CUV sales vs. consumers going for GLK, Q5, X3, RDX etc. Smart move IMO. Wonder why Lexus didn't do it sooner?
Old 03-25-14, 03:10 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Best Compact Luxury SUV = Porsche Macan, it looks Awesome and will be amazing to drive.

If you are referring to best selling? Im sure the NX and RX will be at the top.
NX is based on RAV4 so cant expect too much in terms of driving dynamics.
Old 03-25-14, 03:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm sure the NX will take some sales from the RX, but the brand would rather they capture these compact luxury CUV sales vs. consumers going for GLK, Q5, X3, RDX etc. Smart move IMO. Wonder why Lexus didn't do it sooner?
It happened naturally through the progression and expansion of the line-up. When the RX launched initially it's size is near what the NX is replacing. As the 2RX and now 3RX it straddles which up until now did not warrant for anything smaller. The 4RX will get bigger though and the competition is now cashing in on CUVs smaller than the RX so now is the time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Compact Luxury SUVs - Will the NX come out on top?