Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AAA says cold weather can reduce electric car range by 57%

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-14, 07:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default AAA says cold weather can reduce electric car range by 57%

Electric cars can go only half as far in freezing weather, AAA finds

By Jerry Hirsch
11:15 AM PDT, March 20, 2014
Testing by AAA has found that how far an electric vehicle can travel on one charge varies widely depending on the weather. Frigid temperatures can reduce that distance by 57%.
The research is important to the Automobile Club of Southern California because it maintains mobile recharging trucks for people who misjudge how far they can go in their electric car.
“EV drivers need to carefully monitor range in hot and cold weather,” said Steve Mazor, the engineer who manages the Southern California club’s Automotive Research Center.
The center conducted tests on a 2013 Nissan Leaf, a 2012 Mitsubishi iMiEV and the electric version of a 2014 Ford Focus. The cars were tested for city driving to mimic stop-and-go traffic and to better compare with Environmental Protection Agency ratings listed on the window sticker, AAA said.
The average EV battery range in AAA’s test was 105 miles at 75 degrees but dropped 57% to just 43 miles at 20 degrees. Heat also sliced the cars' ranges but by not as much: The cars averaged 69 miles per full charge at 95 degrees, 33% less than in 75-degree weather.
The research center tested the cars following the same EPA drive cycles that provide the data for the mileage window stickers on new cars. The vehicles were charged up and then driven on a machine with rollers called a dynamometer in a climate-controlled room until the battery was exhausted.
http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...#ixzz2wWphMXOq
Old 03-20-14, 08:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

That's one reason (among many) why the Tesla Model S costs so much. Its big, powerful (and expensive) battery pack holds so much charge that, unlike most other pure-electric cars, it can still maintain a reasonable cruising range (by electric-car standards) even while coping with the power-draining from cold weather, cabin heater, wipers, headlights, etc....... Other pure-electric cars, as this article attests to, are far less efficient under the same conditons.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-20-14 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-20-14, 09:14 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We get it EVs will never beat the ICE.
Old 03-20-14, 10:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

You know what's shocking? Cold weather also reduces gas mileage, sometimes by a great deal. I've seen it drop at least 30% in very cold weather, worse if you drive short trips.
Old 03-20-14, 10:25 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You know what's shocking? Cold weather also reduces gas mileage, sometimes by a great deal. I've seen it drop at least 30% in very cold weather, worse if you drive short trips.
That is mostly due to the engine taking much longer to reach its optimal/most efficient operating temperature when sitting around on really cold days, driving a short distance is the worse because the engine will not reach its full efficiency temp like it would on a warm day. Once the engine warms up to its proper operating temp though fuel economy is similar to what it is in warmer weather. In the cold/cool weather you do get a nice boost in power though compared to really hot days, I always notice it when the cool fall temps arrive.
Old 03-20-14, 10:33 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Once the engine is at operating temp the colder denser air is an advantage. The performance of a engine is always reduced in hot weather.
Old 03-20-14, 11:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
We get it EVs will never beat the ICE.
I see what you did there
Old 03-21-14, 02:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

sure, AAA is doing this because EV chargers are not everywhere like gas station, so if people overestimate their charge (and their car will likely give them wrong impression at start), then they will be left on the side of the road, calling AAA.
Old 03-22-14, 02:23 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I see what you did there
Hahaha yeah you got it.
Old 03-22-14, 06:49 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
sure, AAA is doing this because EV chargers are not everywhere like gas station, so if people overestimate their charge (and their car will likely give them wrong impression at start), then they will be left on the side of the road, calling AAA.
Did you see a man got arrested for plugging in his Leaf at a Park ? Charged with Electricity Thievery.....
Old 03-22-14, 09:40 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Did you see a man got arrested for plugging in his Leaf at a Park ? Charged with Electricity Thievery.....
At a Park? I thought it was a School, unless it's happened on several occasions
Old 03-22-14, 01:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
At a Park? I thought it was a School, unless it's happened on several occasions
yep... and in UK, they will also charge you for stealing WIFI from your neighbours.

I dont see the difference, electricity cost money, it is like stealing some gas.
Old 03-22-14, 03:05 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yep... and in UK, they will also charge you for stealing WIFI from your neighbours.

I dont see the difference, electricity cost money, it is like stealing some gas.
No, you are completely correct.

EV don't have the readily available stations to charge their cars. Hence the range reduction = a huge deal.

IMO, the best vehicle out there is Hybrid. You burn little gas for better milage, and less waste of kinetic energy. Because Electricity needs a lot of pollutants stuff to convert as well.

Even the Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles are Hybrid, and I like them even better....what a piece of Space Technology
Old 03-22-14, 04:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Whitigir
No, you are completely correct.

EV don't have the readily available stations to charge their cars. Hence the range reduction = a huge deal.

IMO, the best vehicle out there is Hybrid. You burn little gas for better milage, and less waste of kinetic energy. Because Electricity needs a lot of pollutants stuff to convert as well.

Even the Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles are Hybrid, and I like them even better....what a piece of Space Technology
sure, but i dont think AAA was telling people not to use EVs... however this is a real problem - when you have 80-90 mile EV and it goes down to 50, you might end up at the side of the road.

So they were not saying dont buy EVs, just to plan a bit different during winter.