Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

One way to Lower Your Car Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-14, 07:01 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One way to Lower Your Car Insurance

My '012 RX350 insurance came due and I sat down with my insurance agent to find ways to lower my premium.

He offered various ways, and one that I never heard of before.

The insurance company gives you a small box with a electrical connection that connects on your steering column.
You drive your vehicle for one year and it collects data about your driving habits, hard braking, jacket rabbit starts, hard cornering etc.

At the end of one year, the insurance Co. reviews the data and determines how safe a driver you are and gives you a discount, 10% 15% 20% on up on how safe the data reads out.

Has anyone heard of this?

Thoughts
Old 03-19-14, 07:15 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, I have heard of this before and there is no way in hell I would allow them to install any kind of black box to monitor my driving habits. Even if I save a few bucks on the policy.
In certain situations, we need to drive faster than normal (such as merging onto highway) or brake hard to avoid hitting something. Is the system smart enough to exclude those situations. NO Thanks.
Ever heard of Geico? 15 minutes could save you up to 15%. Just kidding.
Old 03-19-14, 11:20 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
My '012 RX350 insurance came due and I sat down with my insurance agent to find ways to lower my premium.

He offered various ways, and one that I never heard of before.

The insurance company gives you a small box with a electrical connection that connects on your steering column.
You drive your vehicle for one year and it collects data about your driving habits, hard braking, jacket rabbit starts, hard cornering etc.

At the end of one year, the insurance Co. reviews the data and determines how safe a driver you are and gives you a discount, 10% 15% 20% on up on how safe the data reads out.

Has anyone heard of this?

Thoughts
Yes. I've heard about it.
THIS maybe a good idea in China or North Korea but not here.

On a serious note, what guarantee do you have that they won't use the information gathered to DENY future claims? Ever thought about that.

Just like in the Healthcare industry, the HMO's are NOT in the business of helping patients...
They're in BUSINESS to make money.
I see it everyday.

So if you HONESTLY Think t that the Insurance Co is doing this to help you lower payments, i have a bridge to sell to you. Already sold 4. Only 2 are left. You better hurry. Once in a lifetime opportunity to own an actual bridge.

AND most cars today have a "black box" already, which the government can access AFTER a crash.
Old 03-20-14, 08:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i have the box. no biggie. and yeah it's not perfect, if someone cuts in front of you and you slam on the brakes, the box doesn't know about the other car, and your driving is viewed as 'bad'. but hey... i'll take the discount.
and the device has no gps, so they don't know where you're driving.
Old 03-20-14, 08:15 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^SnapShot Program through Progressive. I had it, and Bit is spot on with the example. It doesn't take into account 'situations', but cold hard #'s. But progressive was crap with their program in the sense that I earned an 11% discount at the same time, they jacked our family rate up 20%. So we had a 9% increase instead. They employ some of the worst bait and switch tactics of any insurance I've seen.
Old 03-20-14, 09:02 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not all doom and groom with these kind of devices, if you are in bieber's situation in miami this little device can save you from a dirty cop's frame job.
Old 03-20-14, 09:51 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm going to avoid the box and pray my insurance drops next year when i turn 25. I do have a flawless record though. No accidents or tickets my entire driving life. $120/month is the cheapest i could find.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-20-14, 01:22 PM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Holy moly, you pay a lot for a Fusion. For my WRX, I pay around 86$/month and I have 2 speeding tickets and an accident over 3 years ago.
Old 03-20-14, 01:41 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This

lol

These aren't bad ideas but i know my driving habits and they might say "WE ARE ACTUALLY GONNA INCREASE YOUR PREMIUM INSTEAD OF DISCOUNT." Its not a bad idea but the best way to really lower your premium is to drive safely. Also check your job, or any club or organization that you are a part of to get discounts. My GF gets an extra 10% discount from geico because of her sorority back in college. I work for the state and I get an extra 5% on top. Also defensive driving gives you 10% as well

Another way is multi-vehicle plans. I put my older sister on my insurance because it lowered our overall per-vehicle premium substatnially. Her car is in both of our names. Plus she is a nurse and her husband is a cop so she probably wont be getting any tickets anytime soon. She pays her part, I pay mine.

Last edited by NYKnick101; 03-20-14 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-20-14, 03:14 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZsoarer
Holy moly, you pay a lot for a Fusion. For my WRX, I pay around 86$/month and I have 2 speeding tickets and an accident over 3 years ago.
And $120 was cheap. Everybody else wanted $300+

I can say one good thing about my old LS.... it was $30/month for full coverage.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-20-14, 04:20 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts
Default One way to Lower Your Car Insurance

Yes, the insurance company will give you a discount. Now let me read you your insurance Miranda rights-

You have the right to remain silent, but the black box can speak volumes.

You have the right to an attorney, but black box waives its right to one.

If you cannot afford an attorney, you are SOL.

Anything the black box tells us can and will be used against you and used to deny any and all claims.

If you understand those rights you have to be nuts to accept a black box.

(Note, you already have one, but at least they have to have cause to download it)
Old 03-20-14, 04:46 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Yes, the insurance company will give you a discount. Now let me read you your insurance Miranda rights-

You have the right to remain silent, but the black box can speak volumes.

You have the right to an attorney, but black box waives its right to one.

If you cannot afford an attorney, you are SOL.

Anything the black box tells us can and will be used against you and used to deny any and all claims.

If you understand those rights you have to be nuts to accept a black box.

(Note, you already have one, but at least they have to have cause to download it)
Clever and soooo true.
Old 03-20-14, 10:00 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

and here i thought the Snapshot was a gimmick
Old 03-20-14, 11:03 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

you lower your insurance by comparison shopping, then threatening to cancel your insurance policy with your current provider.
Old 03-20-14, 11:06 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Yes, I have heard of this before and there is no way in hell I would allow them to install any kind of black box to monitor my driving habits. Even if I save a few bucks on the policy.
In certain situations, we need to drive faster than normal (such as merging onto highway) or brake hard to avoid hitting something. Is the system smart enough to exclude those situations. NO Thanks.
Ever heard of Geico? 15 minutes could save you up to 15%. Just kidding.
this is built into all OnStar and similar systems like BlueLink etc. The US DOT is going to mandate it for all new cars and eventually everyone's insurance will be calcualted like this, but the DOT wants it to calculate road taxes since gas taxes aren't going to work for Tesla owners.

I'll be keeping a hold of my old Porsche with no black box forever!! I'll be the only one driving like a maniac

Quick Reply: One way to Lower Your Car Insurance