Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Motor Company -criminal charge

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-14, 02:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts
Default Toyota Motor Company -criminal charge

A buddy sent this:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/nys/pres...oyotaDPAPR.php

The criminal charge is contained in an Information (the “Information”) alleging one

count of wire fraud. If TOYOTA abides by all of the terms of the Agreement, the Government will defer prosecution on the Information for three years and then seek to dismiss the charge.

Attorney General Eric Holder said: “Rather than promptly disclosing and correcting safety issues about which they were aware, Toyota made misleading public statements to consumers and gave inaccurate facts to Members of Congress. When car owners get behind the wheel, they have a right to expect that their vehicle is safe. If any part of the automobile turns out to have safety issues, the car company has a duty to be upfront about them, to fix them quickly, and to immediately tell the truth about the problem and its scope. Toyota violated that basic compact. Other car companies should not repeat Toyota’s mistake: a recall may damage a company’s reputation, but deceiving your customers makes that damage far more lasting.”
Old 03-19-14, 02:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

lets see how GM gets treated... i am sure it will be the same.
Old 03-19-14, 03:41 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There never were any issues with Toyota. This whole saga was fabricated in order to tarnish Toyota's reputation. And to also milk many billions of dollars of them.

Last edited by yowps3; 03-19-14 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-19-14, 03:54 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is proof that Mob mentality is real.
Old 03-19-14, 04:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That's a load of malarcky. Like Spwolf said, let's see what happens with GM since their woes are getting bigger by the day
Old 03-19-14, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
There never were any issues with Toyota. This whole saga was fabricated in order to tarnish Toyota's reputation. And to also milk many billions of dollars of them.
Originally Posted by spwolf
lets see how GM gets treated... I am sure it will be the same.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Like Spwolf said, let's see what happens with GM since their woes are getting bigger by the day
Both GM and Toyota management, though, have admitted wrongdoing. In fact, just today, GM's Marry Barra made a public apology in front of the camera. I agree with you guys that sometimes Big Brother goes too far (as it may be doing in this case). But, on the other hand, I don't think that either Toyota or GM would just calmly sit back and fork over a ten-figure sum if there was any way they could come out of it smelling like a rose.

I've also owned and driven enough cars in my lifetime to know that a number of new cars DO come from the factory with design/assembly defects. That is not just something that the government just makes up, although sometimes the severity of the defects, and/or their ultimate danger, is sometimes exaggerated by the Federal investigators just to score political points, and aren't always as bad as the press makes them out to be. But there are cases, like the Ford Pinto, Chevy Vega, Yugo GV, GM X-body cars, GM V8 diesels, the DeLorean gull-wing sports-coupe, 80s-vintage Toyota truck beds, and others, where the factory clearly IS at fault, and, IMO, deserved to be fined and/or socked with a hefty jury award. And it is also true that, today, the general level of quality control is MUCH better than it was in the late 1970s through the 1980s....when, IMO, many new vehicles seemed to be at their worst.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-19-14 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-20-14, 06:47 PM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Attorney General Eric Holder said: “Rather than promptly disclosing and correcting safety issues about which they were aware, Toyota made misleading public statements to consumers and gave inaccurate facts to Members of Congress.
After his performance covering up for the ATF in the Fast and Furious gunrunning scandal, seeing Eric Holder lambaste Toyota for giving inaccurate facts to Congress caused my hypocrisy meter to wrap the needle around the peg.
Old 03-20-14, 07:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

change you can believe in...

...wait.
Old 03-21-14, 05:46 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

wire fraud?

why would the govt fine itself anyways?

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 03-21-14 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-21-14, 06:52 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no Fraud from Toyota Engineering, and it's blue prints, or Patents.

NASA, the best on the planet already investigate, inspect everything from Toyota, and there were not a single faults from the Drive by Wire Throttle systems, or any others.

Toyota was Correct on the call "Stuck Floor Mat, which can obstruct the pedals." They handled it fast, and swift. Toyota would never thought of people making the simplest mistake......Stuck the Pedals with the Mats.

It is funny at first, you would thought Toyota was avoiding the problems with Evasive strategy...but no...it is Real. My RX pedals are extremely short compare to my 02 camry, which were ways more comfortable. Toyota also Lock the Mats down, and there are Directions, and Warnings on the Mats itself.

The only thing Toyota is short of from the warning = Display a screen "Please Do not Obstruct your Pedals with any things of short...water bottles......cell phones.....Floor Mats"

Toyota Issues this 1.2 Billion out of Good Will. There are no Reasons to do so. Toyota did so to Cater to Customers, and to let them know that as a GIANT of Automotive, they will care for their customers

***And to be honest, I don't feel bad when I forgot to file the claims from Toyota myself. I don't see why I should, because I love their products, and I will not do stupid Greedy things of which may drive them to bankruptcy, or damage them financially***

And you should know, according to this, the Gov. already imply new law on all Newer Vehicle, starting from 2010+ Model Year (I don't recall exactly). All car will have black box in it

Last edited by Whitigir; 03-22-14 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-21-14, 02:49 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whitigir - Please do not call people DUMB.

Electronic gremlins do exist, and I can and never will never rule out that one did not exist in the Toyota/Lexus electronics. It requires a multitude of signals and situations coming together to reproduce that event. That is why there are software updates routinely applied to PC, Macs, Unix, Linux, iphones, androids, win8p, etc.
Old 03-21-14, 07:41 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no such thing as "Toyota Motor Company".

Or SUA.
Old 03-21-14, 08:00 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Correct, it's actually Toyota Motor Corporation(something I didn't know until just tonight...always thought it was just Toyota).
Old 03-22-14, 06:55 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Whitigir - Please do not call people DUMB.

Electronic gremlins do exist, and I can and never will never rule out that one did not exist in the Toyota/Lexus electronics. It requires a multitude of signals and situations coming together to reproduce that event. That is why there are software updates routinely applied to PC, Macs, Unix, Linux, iphones, androids, win8p, etc.
My appologies, didnt mean to call people dumb, just the mistake...but edited

Irrelevant examples, those operation systems need constant updates because people constantly hack into it. People do not hack into car systems constantly.

Beside, if Electric Gimmicks were allowed to slip by NASA Engineering teams, then we, the American could never be so great at Space technology and Explorations.

I saw what China did to the moon, and that was what I called Electrical Gimmicks.

The whole world has nothing else than NASA to look upon in space technology.....and space technology from NASA are several centuries a head of anything else...a little exaggeration here

It is so easy to say "Hey, things happen." How about you prove it ? I don't believe there are any others better than NASA is to do the investigation job on technologies. If you can tell me one, I would shut up

Last edited by Whitigir; 03-22-14 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-22-14, 11:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Electronic gremlins do exist, and I can and never will never rule out that one did not exist in the Toyota/Lexus electronics.
what gremlins could have caused 'unintended acceleration' that was, as claimed, uncontrollable? the brake pedal typically has a physical connection to the brakes. no engine can overpower a car's brakes. putting the transmission in neutral - has that ever 'failed'?

i accept that the driver did not intend to accelerate, but there's NO evidence to show it was the car that did it with a driver operating the vehicle correctly. as has been found, there were either correct or incorrect floor mats that interfered with the pedals. in other cases, the driver simply believed incorrectly they were pressing (harder and harder) on the brake when in fact they were pressing harder and harder on the gas, and were just so panicked that they were unable to do anything to correct the situation.

now i do believe though toyota should have been fined something however, because they did not handle the situation well. but that's a different issue.

and it looks like gm were even more negligent, but we'll see if mr. holder holds them to the same standard

Quick Reply: Toyota Motor Company -criminal charge