Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche GTS trim for Boxster/Cayman + new GT4

Old 05-08-14, 10:17 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

GT4 huh.. how about 400hp !
Old 05-08-14, 10:31 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
GT4 huh.. how about 400hp !
Yep sounds good, but the big issue is cooling. The racing teams have been turbo'ing the 987 for ages, and the big issue (it's even been extensively discussed in articles in Excellence magazine) is how difficult it is to cool mid-engined layouts. We'll have to wait and see how aggressive Porsche is with the 2L turbo especially in light of the recent 991 GT3 disaster.
Old 05-08-14, 01:38 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gengar
Yep sounds good, but the big issue is cooling. The racing teams have been turbo'ing the 987 for ages, and the big issue (it's even been extensively discussed in articles in Excellence magazine) is how difficult it is to cool mid-engined layouts. We'll have to wait and see how aggressive Porsche is with the 2L turbo especially in light of the recent 991 GT3 disaster.
They say this new GT4 will come out in around three more years time.

I have faith though that Porsche engineers and technical team can use these three calendar years to provide a cooling solution for this upcoming GT4 variant
Old 05-12-14, 09:00 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The decision of whether to buy the Porsche Boxster or Cayman S has just become harder, thanks to the arrival of the new GTS models.
Old 05-12-14, 01:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

LOL at the pricing. Welcome to Porsche. There is no way youd get either for the high 70s. With options youll be in the 90's
Old 05-13-14, 11:47 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scoop: Porsche's New Hardcore Cayman GT4 Gets Us All Giddy

Click here to view more photos

Arguably, the Cayman is a well-rou to view more photos in its base form, so when Porsche decides to up the ante with a hardcore GT version everybody stops to listen.

And while these are the very first spy shots we have of the coupe that will likely wear the Cayman GT4 moniker, it looks like Porsche is in an advanced stage of testing – so much so, that we wouldn't be surprised if the Germans revealed the car as early as this fall at the Paris Motor Show.

According to Porsche's GT model tradition, it should be a higher-performance model that combines excellent trackday abilities with acceptable comfort and refinement levels to make it useable as an everyday car.

What we can see from these pictures is the new styling and aerodynamics package with an extended front lip spoiler, an additional air inlet in front of the hood, a fixed rear wing, a rear bumper with a diffuser and twin pipes similar to that used on the GTS, plus different wheels and huge brakes on all corners.

We can't see what's hiding under the sheetmetal, but rumor has it that the Cayman GT4 will sport a flat-six with a larger displacement than the GTS at 3.6-liters and an output of around 360-horses that would place it just about the base 911 Carrera. Suspension tweaks are to be expected as well. Whether it will be offered exclusively with a seven-speed dual clutch transmission or if Porsche will give the option of a manual gearbox, remains unknown at this point.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/sco...ayman-gt4.html
Old 05-13-14, 12:20 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by carscoops article
... rumor has it that the Cayman GT4 will sport a flat-six with a larger displacement than the GTS at 3.6-liters and an output of around 360-horses that would place it just about the base 911 Carrera.
What are they going to do, stroke the existing 3.4L? Remember that Porsche doesn't have a 3.6L engine currently in its lineup - the base 991 Carrera went down to 3.4L - same engine in the base Carrera as the Cayman S.

Seems the easy solution would just be not to detune the 3.4L from the base Carrera....this report doesn't really make sense.

Last edited by gengar; 05-13-14 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-16-14, 07:00 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Boxster S in Riviera Blue, Courtesy of Porsche Exclusive

The Boxster S paid a visit to the Porsche Exclusive customization shop and this is what the German firm's designers came up with for their two-seater roadster. It's not a limited edition model, but rather a showpiece to inspire buyers to design a bespoke version of their own cars.

On the outside, the Boxster S is finished in the Porsche Exclusive Rivera Blue with the rear side air intakes, exterior mirror lower trims, headlight cleaning system covers, model designations and alloy wheels (partially) painted in black.

The car was specified with the SportDesign package and the Sport Chassis option that lowers the ride height by 20mm (0.8 inches).

You'll find the same color theme in the interior with the two-tone color sport seats that also feature the Porsche Crest embossed on headrests and seat belts in Silver Grey.

Other options ticked include the extended leather package for the top part of the dashboard and door panels, aluminum pedals and footrest, brushed aluminum trim accents, and custom illuminated door sill guards in stainless steel.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/box...urtesy-of.html
Old 05-16-14, 09:52 AM
Hoovey689

Over the years I've learned to appreciate the Boxster. It seems to get slightly more masculine every new gen

what is that lit up? A racetrack?
Old 05-18-14, 12:06 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Motor
Those lines! Car is sexy
Old 05-18-14, 08:35 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I truly believe that Porsche would be the only German brand I would feel comfortable buying . I've heard for years that the cars are over engineered . Great cars , great designs, and reliable to boot
Old 05-18-14, 09:43 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I truly believe that Porsche would be the only German brand I would feel comfortable buying . I've heard for years that the cars are over engineered . Great cars , great designs, and reliable to boot
I tend to agree with you, but Porsche's reputation has taken a big hit IMO with problems like the IMS/RMS and the 991 GT3 disaster. The only saving grace is that Porsche's problems tend to be limited to specific models and/or generations, so proper research can help avoid problem models/gens.

All that said, I'm still thinking about picking up a 997.2 for a DD.
Old 05-21-14, 09:15 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've said that both the Porsche Boxster and Cayman are the best sports cars Porsche makes - with the new, driver-focused GTS models, we can finally decide which is the winner.
Face-palm.
Old 05-21-14, 01:06 PM
Hoovey689

^ at work and haven't watched it but with the face-palm I'm guessing the Boxster won
Old 05-29-14, 12:10 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Porsche Cayman Safari render is not a bad idea

Unlikely to happen

Independent car designer X-Tomi Design from Hungary has envisioned a rugged-looking Porsche Cayman dubbed "Safari."

Towards the end of last year there was a rumor about a 911 off-road Safari concept but it didn't materialize. The car was supposed to be a spiritual successor of the 1978 911 SC Safari rally car based on the 991 Carrera 4S and equipped with a raised suspension, chunky tires and underbody cladding.

Now, X-Tomi Design has envisioned a Safari version of the smaller Cayman featuring the same ingredients: all-wheel drive system, raised suspension, beefier tires, plastic body mouldings and underbody protection.

It's highly unlikely Porsche is working on such a Cayman derivative since these days they are busy cooking up a range-topping GT3/GT4/R version which will come out in the next three years.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11405297...not-a-bad-idea

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche GTS trim for Boxster/Cayman + new GT4