Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just received a check from class action against Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-14, 03:36 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

no clue how I did it but I got one for over $2K....I did own a couple of Prius.
Old 03-20-14, 04:08 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
Add me to the list of folks with a conscience. I've never been one to jump in line for a handout without questioning who's footing the bill and why. Unless I'm actually entitled to compensation, I'll pass on principle. I sleep better at night that way.
So true. Reminds me about the case the daughter suing her parents. Thanks, but no thank you.
Old 03-20-14, 05:22 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
no clue how I did it but I got one for over $2K....I did own a couple of Prius.
Very nice!
Old 03-21-14, 02:36 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I received one but really cant remember if i filled out the form or not. Also i have a 05 LS so i wasn't sure if it applied to me anyways. Is there anyway to check now or is it too late?
Old 03-21-14, 02:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXMike
Werd. People who are taking toyotas money for a problem they never experienced are *****es.

And for the record, nasa and nhtsa concluded together that the unintended accel issue that was blown out of proportion by mainstream media sensationalists was never a fault of toyotas but user error.

Furthermore, a cars brakes can overpower even some of the most powerful cars. One article I read, they tested a supercharged shelby cobra and even its 500+ hp engine could not over power the brake system. It took longer to stop under full accel and braking but it stopped.
There is some misunderstanding as to what these checks are for. It's not for these reasons, which I agree are valid.

Last edited by LexBob2; 03-21-14 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-21-14, 03:00 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Was there any reason stated why these people couldn't take the transmission out of gear? Better a blown engine than a wrecked car and dead driver or pedestrian.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-21-14, 03:17 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Toyota settled, and though I agree it was not their fault and the whole ordeal was fabricated by our government to help sell at the time, their recently acquired GM, taking the check does not make one bad if Toyota already wrote it.

I suppose I did fill out the form as well, as I received $125 today in the mail from the class action. The biggest thieves here are the lawyers who took away the largest chunk. There was NEVER a mechanical issue with the cars, as others have pointed out. As well, as others have said, either applying full force on the brakes, OR shifting to neutral would alleviate the situation as well. Problem is, in a situation like this, panic can set in and people 'freeze up' and cease to make rational decisions. That is the error in most of these situations, the human element.
Old 03-24-14, 04:57 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
So Toyota/Lexus would increase their sale prices to recoup these funds, and squeeze themselves as to price competition with other cars? I don't think so.
So where do you think the money comes from? Either they cut costs some where else by reducing quality or they increase prices. I am sure stock holders will be very happy with a bad bottom line.
Old 10-22-14, 08:13 AM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a check for $20.91 on 10/18. Only Toyota I own is my 2005 LS430
Old 10-22-14, 02:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i don't believe toyota is entirely blame free here. while the 'unintended acceleration' claims may have been completely without merit, from what i recall it seems toyota stone walled and were not cooperative for a long time. as they say, it's always the cover up that will get you...

but regardless, to people piling on here about those accepting and cashing the settlement checks here - do you also think people shouldn't accept income tax refunds because they're stealing from poor people?
Old 10-22-14, 02:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't believe toyota is entirely blame free here. while the 'unintended acceleration' claims may have been completely without merit, from what i recall it seems toyota stone walled and were not cooperative for a long time. as they say, it's always the cover up that will get you...

but regardless, to people piling on here about those accepting and cashing the settlement checks here - do you also think people shouldn't accept income tax refunds because they're stealing from poor people?
As I see it, an income-tax refund is not stealing from poor people......or from anyone else, for at matter. It is simply what you, as a taxpayer, are legally entitled to because you overpaid the government, out of your own pocket, more than you legally owed in taxes the previous year.
Old 10-22-14, 03:10 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI, accepting income tax refund is not stealing from poor people. You did not take any money from the poor. As a matter of fact, the taxes you paid help fund social programs for the poor. You simply overpaid that's why it's called a refund.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-22-14 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-22-14, 04:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As I see it, an income-tax refund is not stealing from poor people......or from anyone else, for at matter. It is simply what you, as a taxpayer, are legally entitled to because you overpaid the government, out of your own pocket, more than you legally owed in taxes the previous year.
Originally Posted by obturator
FYI, accepting income tax refund is not stealing from poor people. You did not take any money from the poor. As a matter of fact, the taxes you paid help fund social programs for the poor. You simply overpaid that's why it's called a refund.
of course i agree with both of you.

just as i also don't think it's stealing from toyota to accept these settlement payments, nor do i think it will have any impact on car prices as a) the market is too competitive, and b) toyota has a crapton of money.
Old 10-23-14, 01:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

of course i agree with both of you.

just as i also don't think it's stealing from toyota to accept these settlement payments, nor do i think it will have any impact on car prices as a) the market is too competitive, and b) toyota has a crapton of money.
So much money, they'd rather swim in it than use it on R&D

Old 10-24-14, 12:05 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I received one but really cant remember if i filled out the form or not. Also i have a 05 LS so i wasn't sure if it applied to me anyways. Is there anyway to check now or is it too late?
Well i guess i did fill out that form because i just received a check for $29 the other day. My car was included in the suit for the drive by wire thingy so im thinking the check is for that.

Quick Reply: Just received a check from class action against Toyota