Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test drive a 2014 Cadillac and get a $100 Visa Prepaid Card

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-14, 02:16 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I once felt sorry for the saelspeople during these types of offers. A bunch of non-interested people coming in and taking up time just for a gift. However, I'm sure it's welcomed, as they have their own strategy dealing with people who may not have had any idea how nice a ride could be and swoon them in on a sale or two.
I'm assuming Caddy did their marketing research to see how much they'd lose on the gift cards and wasted salesperson's time, vs. actual new sales and overall profits.
Old 03-14-14, 03:51 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't imagine the high pressure sales tactics that must be endured to get the card.
Old 03-14-14, 05:02 AM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I once felt sorry for the saelspeople during these types of offers. A bunch of non-interested people coming in and taking up time just for a gift. However, I'm sure it's welcomed, as they have their own strategy dealing with people who may not have had any idea how nice a ride could be and swoon them in on a sale or two.
I'm assuming Caddy did their marketing research to see how much they'd lose on the gift cards and wasted salesperson's time, vs. actual new sales and overall profits.
Ohh boy, don't think that companies care about the salesperson's time. Or at the very best, if they even care about it, it's going to be in the VERY VERY low priorities. All they are trying to do is bring more traffic in and hope that they can convert the regular % of walk-in vs buys.
Old 03-14-14, 06:09 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Can't imagine the high pressure sales tactics that must be endured to get the card.
As mentioned, I've done a number of these and the level of pressure has been surprisingly low. If you let them know you are mainly in for the offer and aren't in the market, you take the test drive, they sign the form and you are off. In a couple of cases the dealership has signed the form with no need for the drive. Maybe just a quick walk around.

I'm sure it varies by dealership.
Old 03-14-14, 09:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I once felt sorry for the saelspeople during these types of offers. A bunch of non-interested people coming in and taking up time just for a gift.
It's not necessarily time wasted. I meet a lot of salespeople doing reviews and test drives. If they are nice enough and treat me well, even I don't buy a car from them, I may refer future customers to that salesperson who might...or, in some cases, I even take them there myself if we are shopping.

Lexus, BTW, is doing $75 test-drive offers through March 27. I got one in the mail a couple of weeks ago. And Ford/Lincoln sign people for $50 offers at the big auto shows (I do that one each year).
Old 03-14-14, 12:12 PM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's not necessarily time wasted. I meet a lot of salespeople doing reviews and test drives. If they are nice enough and treat me well, even I don't buy a car from them, I may refer future customers to that salesperson who might...or, in some cases, I even take them there myself if we are shopping.

Lexus, BTW, is doing $75 test-drive offers through March 27. I got one in the mail a couple of weeks ago. And Ford/Lincoln sign people for $50 offers at the big auto shows (I do that one each year).

For lexus, is that by mail only? or is it like Cadillac? Where you just make an appointment and go in for a test drive to get the gift card?
Old 03-14-14, 12:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by langjaykev
For lexus, is that by mail only? or is it like Cadillac? Where you just make an appointment and go in for a test drive to get the gift card?
I got my Lexus offer, unsolicited, by mail. The Ford/Lincoln offers, by contrast, are done publically at major auto shows....and then finalized on the Ford website.
Old 03-14-14, 01:14 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The last one I got was from Lincoln and it was by mail. My good friend who lives not too far away and is in a similar demographic as me, got the same thing.
Old 03-15-14, 04:15 PM
socalcpa
Driver School Candidate

So last night I stopped by a local Cadillac / Buick / GMC dealership. Told them that I was mainly interested in the $100 card, but also wanted to check out the new CTS. They had me write down my info on a printout of the online form that they are supposed to use for the promotion, made copies of my registration and insurance card and said that we were all done. Did not even offer to show me the car, never mind to test drive it.

I understand that it was very clear to them that I was not going to buy the CTS that night (my registration was for a 2014 GS that I got 2 months ago). But I also said that I wanted to see the CTS to possibly consider it after my current lease is up. What I saw was a complete lack of long-term thinking, which certainly turned me off from their dealership. The whole experience with this promotion, in my case, accomplished exactly the opposite of its intended purpose - they turned a potential customer against their product.

Just my $0.02.
Old 03-17-14, 06:08 PM
roushracin
Driver School Candidate

After buying my new to me 2011 Camry, drove a mile down the road to the Cadillac dealer and test drove the ATS with the 2.0L turbo. Nice car. The salesman filled out the paperwork for my gift card with no question. No tough sales pitch or pushy sales guy. He said I should have the gift card in 30 days.
Old 03-18-14, 08:21 AM
nikko2jzge
Driver

I did the test drive as well. I pretty much let the dealer know that I was doing it for the test drive. Drove the CTS, had a lot of pep for a 4 cylinder. The engine sounded harsh for a luxury car. I felt twice my age driving it. After the demo, the only sales pitch was "what can we do to have you take this home today". "No thanks!" and was told that they will send off my info for the gift card.
Old 03-22-14, 01:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I used a $75 Visa Lexus test-drive offer today on a new IS. I'm working on the write-up now...I'll post the review in a day or two.
Old 03-22-14, 01:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Not necesarily. Depends on who you are dealing with.
Old 03-22-14, 02:27 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I won't do this because there is nothing Cadillac can do to get me to buy one (the styling has zero appeal). Audi is offering a $75 Visa card to do a test drive. My wife liked the look of the A7 and this could be her next car. So we did test drive it and she really likes it. I'm just glad the offer came before we test drove it for free!
Old 03-22-14, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I Audi is offering a $75 Visa card to do a test drive. My wife liked the look of the A7 and this could be her next car. So we did test drive it and she really likes it. I'm just glad the offer came before we test drove it for free!
Agreed. If you and your wife are seriously considering spending what a new A7 will run (and they aren't chump-change, as you probably noticed for yourself on the car's sticker), then yes, the least Audi can do is give you and her a couple of nice meals at your favorite restaurant, on the house.

Quick Reply: Test drive a 2014 Cadillac and get a $100 Visa Prepaid Card