Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Used SUV FOR Work Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 11:13 PM
Rolexus600
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used SUV FOR Work Advice

I am in the market for another suv to add to my work stable. I need room, not necessarily power. Minivans are out because the wife simply refuses and she's very involved with our work (drives a lot).

I had a 1998 Ford Explorer Sport that I bought for my brother years ago(I knew the seller and he reported to me that it was never any trouble) but I ended up with it. I got out of it with around 200k miles and only 1 $400 repair in six years (plus maintenance, obviously). I really liked that suv for the job but the ride was back-breaking. I bought a 2000 Chevy Blazer in 2012 and I knew the history because I bought it from the same gentleman. His story was a little different - "so many problems on this car, lot of warranty work, so everything fix by now" - How I wish that was true. Since Summer of 2012, I poured a little over $3k into the variously unpredictable things that can fail on that truck. It's been stable for a while, so I guess I should count my blessings.

The good news is, business growth necessitates the use of an extra vehicle. My wife and I have been "keeping an eye out" for a Chevy Suburban or an Avalanche with around 100k on the clock. We can't lease because in our line of work, we absolutely destroy the interiors of our vehicles - its a sin really! Chevy was suggested to me by many business-folk and truthfully, a lot of my employees tell me that 8/10 times they can fix it on the go and I have a mechanic who I trust very much. The mechanic says any used vehicle is a gamble, which I understand.

The question is…should I return to the dog that bit me and buy another used Chevy or should I shop Ford, Dodge, etc. I know this being a Lexus site and all that I may get some biased answers but Sequoias really aren't in budget and I'm afraid if and when something breaks that the repairs may be more costly. There may also may be that part of me that finds the vehicle a bit bland (no offense to anyone).

I guess, in truth, I'm waiting for someone to help rationalize the GM truck for me. The 2003-2006 Expedition is just not a vehicle I can do. I'm just not a fan. 2007 Expedition EL (if I can find one in budget) changes the tune, but I've yet to find one in budget. Speaking of budget, I'm in the $11k - $14k range with a drop held in my pocket for the absolutely right buy.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer me.

Michael
Old 03-12-14, 06:32 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I would look at something that has a history of dependability such as Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, or Acura MDX in whatever year fits your budget. You might also look at a Nissan Pathfinder or Xterra as these are generally solid vehicles but don't hold their value as well as Toyota or Honda.
Old 03-12-14, 07:06 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

1st generation Toyota Highlander. We have one. Rock solid. Avoid 2001's because of potential sludge issues. 2002 and up were fixed there. The 2004 and up got the 3.3L and 5-speed auto.
Old 03-12-14, 08:45 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is a 4Runner big enough? Those are generally rock solid.

Honda Ridgeline, as ugly as some take it to be, is actually very comfortable on the road, and pretty versatile if you don't need a super long bed. Not an SUV, but you can get a canopy if you need locked storage, and there is the in-bed trunk as well. Nice dual swing tailgate/swing-gate.
Old 03-12-14, 12:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Is a 4Runner big enough? Those are generally rock solid.
Agreed on the rock-solidness, but he complained about the Explorer Sport's rough ride. I don't think a 4Runner, especially one of the older, less-refined ones, would be much if any better in the ride department.

Honda Ridgeline, as ugly as some take it to be, is actually very comfortable on the road, and pretty versatile if you don't need a super long bed. Not an SUV, but you can get a canopy if you need locked storage, and there is the in-bed trunk as well. Nice dual swing tailgate/swing-gate.
Agreed. Those I know who have owned Ridgelines have generally been very pleased with them, although they are generally unsuited for really hard-core work or towing. And the Ridgeline's uncovered truck-bed also allows one to carry or haul things that are too tall to fit into even the large covered back end of Tahoe/Suburbans and Expeditions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-12-14 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-12-14, 12:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolexus
I know this being a Lexus site and all that I may get some biased answers
Here on CAR CHAT, with maybe a couple of rare exceptions, we generally aren't a bunch of name-brand toadys or fan-boys. If you come to us, on this forum, and ask a serious question, you will generally get serious answers. Most of us are interested in (and discuss) almost anything on wheels, not just vehicles with Toyota/Lexus badges on them.
Old 03-12-14, 12:42 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed on the rock-solidness, but he complained about the Explorer Sport's rough ride. I don't think a 4Runner, especially one of the older, less-refined ones, would be much if any better in the ride department.
In his price range he can easily get the 4th generation (2003 and up) with the smooth V8 powertrain that was shared with the much more expensive Land Cruiser and LX470. The ride could be quite plush and far from back-breaking.
Old 03-12-14, 05:12 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Rolexus600: What do you need the SUV for -- to carry passengers or cargo? What type of business are you in? Can you not afford a small cargo van like the Ford Transit Connect (assuming you need to carry cargo)?
Old 03-12-14, 08:00 PM
Rolexus600
Driver

Pbm17 - I was always in true love with the 4-runner. I just never found one at a reasonable price that my mechanic liked or that felt right in my gut. The Honda Ridgeline is an eye-opener there! I'm not up on prices, but I'll start scouting tonight to see if its doable. If I'm not mistaken, it offers a lot of attributes as the Chevy Avalanche. Something to consider. Thank you!

MMarshall - you raise a good point and I hope you didn't find my post insulting. I agree whole-heartedly that the ClubLexus.com community is generally unbiased and helpful across the board in terms of not just a range of vehicles, but many other topics as well. Its the reason I told my wife I was taking this dilemma to the boys and girls at ClubLexus.com. Many here have given me fantastic advice in the past and I'm grateful for it. I don't know if this site still holds my information, but I've been a member since about 2002 or so. Lexus was successful based on not just great product, but on some very open-minded individuals willing to give a Japanese luxury car a chance. This site demonstrates that a lot of the men and women rarely (if ever) find themselves reduced to childish nonsense. I honestly wish I could say that for some other sites.

Sulu - I'm in condominium and and planned unit development management (thats the office side). We do more work with the community swimming pools during the Sring/Summer/Fall. If you're familiar with gunite pools, we deal with cumbersome parts but nothing very heavy. I have entertained the notion of the Ford Transit Connect and I think that's something we may ultimately purchase in the future. As of right now, I am Lexus-less and said Chevrolet Blazer is doubling as our primary driver. I am selling my 1997 Ford Thunderbird V8 w/183,xxx happy miles. I know to some, that car may not have been their thing, but for the condition and the grin-inducing drive, it was worth it. We don't have kids yet and my 2005 LS430 Ultimate was sold to pour money back into the business. Good news = business is taking off. Bad news = Once you go Lexus.... - I'm going to be Lexus-less for a bit longer!

I appreciate everyone's replies. Does anyone think I'm being stubborn about not letting the right Sequoia seduce me?

Michael
Old 03-12-14, 09:43 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I suggest the 4-Runner to anyone who asks about an SUV and each one that got one as absolutely loved it.