Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The effect of leaving your car in idle...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-14, 07:06 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

so if I'm driving only 1.5 miles in the morning to a catch a bus (after parking in a warm garage overnite), does it benefit the car in any way to let it warm up for 5-10 mins or just start it up and go? I know short drives are hardest on a car.
Old 03-06-14, 07:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
so if I'm driving only 1.5 miles in the morning to a catch a bus (after parking in a warm garage overnite), does it benefit the car in any way to let it warm up for 5-10 mins or just start it up and go? I know short drives are hardest on a car.
letting it 'warm up for 5-10 mins' is certainly not necessary for the vehicle, just for you. in sub-zero maybe 60 seconds max.
Old 03-06-14, 08:00 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Summer it reaches around 138F over here. If you leave the car parked under the sun the temp gauge could easily read 140F +. So, i admit when it's super hot from May to September if i
m waiting in the car i do leave the car idling with my desert spec ac blowing. It's March and it is beginning to reach 90F +

It gets so hot over here during Summer that you can't even touch the steering wheel or even breath when you first open the car doors after it's been parked for a while.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 03-06-14 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-06-14, 09:28 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
In Summer it reaches around 138F over here. If you leave the car parked under the sun the temp gauge could easily read 140F +. So, i admit when it's super hot from May to September if i
m waiting in the car i do leave the car idling with my desert spec ac blowing. It's March and it is beginning to reach 90F +

It gets so hot over here during Summer that you can't even touch the steering wheel or even breath when you first open the car doors after it's been parked for a while.
But what about the engine? It suffers.
Old 03-06-14, 10:11 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yowps3
But what about the engine? It suffers.
So far i haven't had any problems and anyway when i do wait in the car for whatever it is i am waiting for with the AC blowing it isn't for a long time.
Old 03-07-14, 02:00 AM
jsanders
Driver

Cops and govt vehicles idle more than anyone. I see police cars idling for hours and hours at a time at my local police station parking lot. How about these enviro lunatics go after them instead of trying to brainwash private citizens.
Old 03-07-14, 08:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nikko2jzge
Seems like unnecessary wear on starters, flexplates/flywheels, or battery.
I agree. I'm not a fan of auto start/stop systems, for precisely the reasons you mention. In some instances, it can also delay engine warm-up, though many vehicles have sensors that don't shut the engine down until it reaches a certain operating temperature. But with some extended-range hybrids, for example, where many short trips can be taken solely on the electric motor without the gas engine operating at all (and with heat-pump electric heaters for the cabin instead of a gas-engine heater-core), the gas engine has to cycle on and off enough to keep it lubed, seals moist, and the fluids warm and flowing. Otherwise, with extended non-use, the gas engine itself will deteriorate.
Old 03-07-14, 09:40 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

I've lived in hot desert areas my entire life. If i have to wait in the car for something, I'm going to have leave the engine running and the A/C on. Anybody who has heart burn over seeing that will have to take some pepcid and deal with it, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-07-14, 09:58 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jsanders
Cops and govt vehicles idle more than anyone. I see police cars idling for hours and hours at a time at my local police station parking lot. How about these enviro lunatics go after them instead of trying to brainwash private citizens.
Emergency vehicles are a fraction of the vehicles on the road compared to the general public.

And in the event of an emergency, you want your local police, fire, and ambulance services to be ready. A few seconds can make a difference when out on a call...

On another note: being conscious about the environment doesn't make one a lunatic. Neither does education equate to brainwashing.
Old 03-07-14, 10:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

post of the day.

but would be a waste of time. cops for example can't sit in a car with the AC not running in most states in the summer (or heat in winter).
Old 03-07-14, 10:21 AM
jsanders
Driver

It's fine if they are sitting inside and need the ac or heat, or if it's a traffic stop or something and they are on duty. But that's not what happens. Go to your local police station, you'll see them just leave tons of cars there idling for hours on end, not on call. Talk about wasting gas and unnecessary wear. But who cares right? Fools will always say yes to higher taxes to support public safety.
Old 03-07-14, 10:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

cops for example can't sit in a car with the AC not running in most states in the summer (or heat in winter).
If the donuts are good enough, they won't care.
Old 03-07-14, 11:35 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Another thing that **** me off is those big Malls owners who purchase SUV's for the parking security. All day long the dude is burning thousands of gas and polluting unnecessary spinning in circle in that parking lot. It's just one guy so an SUV it's really not necessary. Why not an electric car.
I cannot imagine how dumb and unconsidered those people are.
Old 03-07-14, 12:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Go to your local police station, you'll see them just leave tons of cars there idling for hours on end, not on call.
maybe where you are but i've NEVER seen that, anywhere i've lived/been.

if it's happening where you are i'd contact a local tv news reporter - they'd love to do a story on that.
Old 03-07-14, 02:56 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
dumb and unconsidered those people are.
Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup

Quick Reply: The effect of leaving your car in idle...