Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The reality of hitting 200k miles...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 03:38 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The reality of hitting 200k miles...

I guess I'm spoiled. My father has worked for Toyota for over 40 years. Being a Toyota-centric household, our cars have lasted more than 200k miles, and there was never any doubt of their longetivity.

The current record is a 1989 Toyota Camry with 450k miles on it (it used to be mine, but now is owned by a family friend in Las Vegas), still running smoothly, with the exception of a new tranny done around 300k miles. And we've had several models in the past that have lasted more than 200k miles with minimal issues.

In fact, most Toyota (and Lexus and Scion) owners will attest to the fact that their cars will survive to 200k miles with little worry.

But how about other brands?

Other than exotics, what's the reality of a brand hitting 200k miles without having major drivetrain issues?

Now, I must admit that I haven't owned a lot of cars outside of the ToMoCo family. My family does have their share of experiences with Bimmers, Benzes, Fords, Chevys, and others; but nothing so extensive to realize its full potential for longetivity.

And with current technology and engineering, I somewhat demand that any new car I buy now last more than 200k miles in this day in age.

Which brands will easily hit 200k?
Which brands will be lucky to hit 200k?

DISCUSS.
Old 03-03-14, 03:42 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Very subjective due to proper maintenance and usage behaviors. I would imagine all cars sold today, properly maintained, could hit 200K pretty "easily" which in itself can be a subjective term.
Old 03-03-14, 03:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Which brands will easily hit 200k?
Toyota
Honda

Which brands will be lucky to hit 200k?
Land Rover

But I do agree with pdb317, there are so many variables.
Old 03-03-14, 03:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

honda. can't say about new ones, but the old ones they can go forever, especially accord and civic obviously

oh and nsx, quite a few over 200k, some over 300k, and at least one with 400k
Old 03-03-14, 04:02 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking through classifieds tells me the BMWs of yore would go to 200K.

Nowadays, I'm not so sure--what with turbos and HPFPs...
Old 03-03-14, 05:21 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

3 Acura's owned and around 220K on each and maintained well. Overall good results but I decided to go Lexus for better results.
Old 03-03-14, 05:22 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Any car can get to 200K or 2M miles. The question is - how much will it cost you in money and time in the shop? The beauty of Lexus/Toyota is that those costs in general are far lower than any other car company on the planet.
Old 03-03-14, 05:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Cant imagine driving same car for 200k miles lol

Any forum u go to - BMW, MB, Audi, Honda/Acura - there will be owners that have high mileage cars.

As long as u take care of it, new cars are very well built.
Old 03-03-14, 05:58 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Its hard to generalize a brand, think about it how many 200k+ malibus do you see, but those ford, chevy, and even dodge diesels go forever, same with Mercedes. I'm sure most modern cars engines will run up to 200k with basic care and usual driving, but sometimes its not engine failure that causes a person to get rid of a car, but everything else (electronics, suspension(for me this is the major one), and wanting a new car).
Old 03-03-14, 07:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I would say Toyota and Hondas will go that far. Nissans not so much. They just arent built to the same level. They are fun, but they will never last as long as a Toyota or Honda in my own personal experience
Old 03-03-14, 10:02 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Our 92 F350 is at 176k right now and is still kicking strong. We don't put it too much use anymore, but if we did, I am 100% certain it would be well past the 200k mark and doing fine. The 351 windsor is a durable engine.

The Chrysler 300C has 185k. We bought it only 10k ago, so I have no idea what the history on it is. We sold our 98 Town & Country at 182k and it was still running a few years later when I last saw it(and the buyer would have scrapped it if it had drivetrain issues). We have a Mitsubishi Montero Sport for offroading and it has 275,000 miles on it and runs great(no rattles either from the body, suspension, or interior).

We usually get rid of our vehicles before the 200k mark, but not for that reason. We just like to change it up every 4-5 years. Most cars we buy are already at the 100k mark and are sold sometime before 200k(exception being my parents' LS which was bought with 60k and sold at 123k, or my Fusion which has 18k).

I have to say that I think most cars will make it to 200k without much trouble. Engine failures, transmission problems, etc are a minority in any brand(except maybe Yugo, lol).
Old 03-03-14, 11:25 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It looks like we're getting a consensus here - If most modern cars are carefully maintained and driven by an adult, with minor exceptions, they will meet that 200K objective. Fifty years ago, if a car made it to 60,000 it was done. Of course in the days before suburban sprawl and Interstate highways, we drove much less. Particularly west of the Mississippi, a 12-mile, 30-minute commute was extreme, and most schools and shopping districts were within a couple of miles of home. Now we don't even flinch at driving 20 + miles every day to work and 20 miles back. Once a set of tires was good for 10K miles, now people get three times that out of their set of skins.

From the twenties through the early seventies there was something magical about 20 miles per gallon. It was the lofty goal to which we all aspired - even though it was a matter of bragging rights only, what with 27¢/gal gas the costs of driving were a bit less (in constant dollars) than they are now.

Another factor has changed too - where once rail lines stitched the nation together to deliver freight, now only bulk goods travel by rail. Motor freight carries the bulk of the nation's commerce and it does so primarily on the Interstate network. Is it any wonder that our Interstates are crumbling under the weight of heavy trucks? They were designed in the fifties under the Eisenhower administration to move troops and military supplies across the country for national defense. Our roadways were not designed to be permanent, but to be an emergency transit system to get war materiel to the ports for deployment overseas.

It's been many years since those first ribbons of concrete were laid down. The Interstates have been widened, patched, and re-surfaced, the Cold War is gone along with the threat of invasion by a foreign power, and we are left with a "temporary" network of highways that form the basis of our transportation grid. Speed limits have gone from 60 to 70 mph on those roads, even as their safety has fallen to the ravages of time. The heavy load of heavy loads rolling back and forth over our highways and bridges day and night has put a strain on our roads, and in turn on our cars.

If nothing is done to fix our transportation infrastructure, I'm afraid that getting a future car to last 200K miles will be a thing of the past.
Old 03-04-14, 01:37 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Interesting point Mike. We often forget about the shift of transportation modes and patterns. I agree, we drive more today, and our cars are subject to broken pavement and crumbled highways. However, I think conditions in other areas have improved, which helps a car's life. More paved roads means less sucking in of dust and particles to clog engine systems, less smog and acid rain to rot out the exterior, cleaner gasoline with additives, slicker oils, and better diagnostics can all help or prevent future issues. As far as those broken up freeways thanks to trucks, suspensions can be fixed. I've not heard of someone dumping their car due to ball joints or a blown tire, but I have heard of people dumping their car due to a blown engine.

Would also like to branch off real quick and comment on the railroads you brought up. Today's Class 1's (UP, BNSF, CSX, NS, and KCS) all make more money transporting cross-country and state to state, rather than delivering one boxcar or container to the side of a packing plant. As you mentioned, trains handle the long-distance stuff, and then trucks take it to the door of the customer. This was not the case back in the day, just as you mentioned.

For longest lasting cars, my votes go to Toyota/Lexus, then Honda/Acura. Some German cars (Mercedes, Audi,VW, and BMW) seem to have some luck in this category, but I believe that is through some very loyal and dedicated fanboys who go far out of their way to pay for maintenance and fix broken things to keep the vessel going. Pride of ownership thing, with lots of TLC.

Lastly, let me throw in the latest Honda Accord V6 is no longer recommended by Consumer Reports due to poor reliability. It actually rated below average, which is unheard of for the Accord (four cylinder is okay). However, CR's reasoning seems to stem from people's frustration over the radio's operation (hello SYNC and CUE issues). Rest of the car should still be sound. Ditto with all the newest Accord Coupes, although no explanation was given as to what the problem was there.
Old 03-04-14, 07:34 AM
golfpunks
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious to see how long these 4 cyl turbo motors will last and if they do hit 200k how much maintenance will be needed to keep it running that long ..
Old 03-04-14, 08:02 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by golfpunks
Curious to see how long these 4 cyl turbo motors will last and if they do hit 200k how much maintenance will be needed to keep it running that long ..
yep, me too - I think the actual the 'motor' will last....probably just not the turbo or the 7/8 speed trannys.

I had a friend with a '90 Accord EX that never changed the oil on it...traded in at about 98K miles (he would check it and top off if necessary but would never change it). I imagine the motor started burning oil pretty quick after that....the damage was already done no matter what type of mx/flush or whatever was done to try to maintain it.

Last edited by bagwell; 03-04-14 at 08:06 AM.

Quick Reply: The reality of hitting 200k miles...