Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The reality of hitting 200k miles...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-14, 08:08 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Meticulously maintaining a car only goes so far, my GS has 118k and runs just as strong as the day my parents drove it off the lot in 98. Up until my possession it only got a new set of tires and oil changes. The car has a minor oil leak from the cam seal but thats not urgent.

My 2008 535i has been a headache since I bought it. I picked it up with 46k miles, now have 98k miles and it would surprise me if it'll make it to 150k miles hopefully I dont still own it but I can see VANOS repairs and transmission repairs in the future and I want to get rid of it. I bought the car saying that I'll stay on top of maintenance in which I did but its just the things that went wrong was sudden, it didnt slowly develop. For instance my waterpump died and the car went into limp mode. Also, went to start it one morning and my turbos were rattling and turns out the wastegates were stuck partially closed, they were replaced under warranty thankfully. I dont have too much faith in new cars especially the higher end ones with more technology. Turbocharged cars will definitely have their issues.

I have no doubt in my mind that my GS will literally run forever of course with the scheduled maintenance but Im not gonna see that because a GTE is going in but im sure even that motor other than the turbos will be bulletproof as well.
Old 07-02-14, 08:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
Meticulously maintaining a car only goes so far, my GS has 118k and runs just as strong as the day my parents drove it off the lot in 98. Up until my possession it only got a new set of tires and oil changes. The car has a minor oil leak from the cam seal but thats not urgent.

My 2008 535i has been a headache since I bought it. I picked it up with 46k miles, now have 98k miles and it would surprise me if it'll make it to 150k miles hopefully I dont still own it but I can see VANOS repairs and transmission repairs in the future and I want to get rid of it. I bought the car saying that I'll stay on top of maintenance in which I did but its just the things that went wrong was sudden, it didnt slowly develop. For instance my waterpump died and the car went into limp mode. Also, went to start it one morning and my turbos were rattling and turns out the wastegates were stuck partially closed, they were replaced under warranty thankfully. I dont have too much faith in new cars especially the higher end ones with more technology. Turbocharged cars will definitely have their issues.

I have no doubt in my mind that my GS will literally run forever of course with the scheduled maintenance but Im not gonna see that because a GTE is going in but im sure even that motor other than the turbos will be bulletproof as well.
Sucks to hear about the BMW. Your GS should last a really long time.

I had a few GM models in the past, never again. GM cars were the only vehicle that ever left me stranded.
Old 07-02-14, 10:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I had a few GM models in the past, never again.
Good thing enough Hyundai and Kia customers were open-minded after about 2000 or so. Otherwise, the corporation would never have had the amazing resurgence it did.
Old 07-02-14, 11:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good thing enough Hyundai and Kia customers were open-minded after about 2000 or so. Otherwise, the corporation would never have had the amazing resurgence it did.
I have very strong suspicions that any Hyundai , Ford, Chrysler or GM would get to 200,000 miles without a serious repair. 350,000 like my family members LX450 sitting in my driveway is out of the question for the above mentioned.
Old 07-02-14, 02:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have very strong suspicions that any Hyundai , Ford, Chrysler or GM would get to 200,000 miles without a serious repair. 350,000 like my family members LX450 sitting in my driveway is out of the question for the above mentioned.
Well, besides other brands, for that matter, 350K for a number of other Toyota/Lexus products is not impossible, but highly unlikely. The Land-Cruiser/LX, to an extent, is an exceptional vehicle, and is built like a tank.....especially designed for primitive Third-World conditions. That's one reason (but not the only reason) why it costs so much. The Mercedes G-Wagon (Gelandewagen) has similar tank-like construction.....even more so in door solidness. (if you've ever slammed the door on a G-Wagen, you'll know what I mean). The G-Wagon, though, like the LC/LX, is not necessarily representative of other M-B products....it was based on an 80s vintage Austrian military vehicle.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-14 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-02-14, 05:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekko
interesting comments about the durability of Lexus hoses here -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...hange-out.html
So I did the valve lash inspection on my IS-F at ~62k miles, and my experience with the 2JZ-GTE says, buy all new valve cover gaskets, seals, pretty much anything rubber touching the head will be glassy and never seal again. I spent a pretty significant chunk of change on this project.

When I took the valve covers off, every single seal was like new. Soft, pliable, without question did not need replacement. I asked a good friend who is a service adviser for Lexus (previously Toyota for many years) and he said, all the turbo engines cook their seals. The NA engines never do. I"m on round two of ALL the coolant hoses in the Supra because they were all hard, and showing evidence of fatigue. I even replaced the power steering hoses for the same reason. My F has a little over 100k on it now, and everything under the hood is as soft as new. I'm sure I'll be sitting on all those gaskets and seals for a long time...

I've never put the Supra on a road course. The F has quite a few track weekends under its belt. Toyota turbo engines run hot.
Old 07-04-14, 05:00 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Funny no one mentions the LS400 or LS430. I had a 2006 LS 430 that I bought new and now had 230,000miles on it. I only had to change oil, tires, brakes, and other fluids in the car. Had major maintenannce done at 105k miles. That car ran like a champ just like when I bought it brand new. I sold that car to a friend because I was getting tired of the interior. I sort of miss that car now since talking about high milage cars on this thread. I think I just might have to beg my friend to sell it back to me lol.
Old 07-04-14, 06:20 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So I did the valve lash inspection on my IS-F at ~62k miles, and my experience with the 2JZ-GTE says, buy all new valve cover gaskets, seals, pretty much anything rubber touching the head will be glassy and never seal again. I spent a pretty significant chunk of change on this project.

When I took the valve covers off, every single seal was like new. Soft, pliable, without question did not need replacement. I asked a good friend who is a service adviser for Lexus (previously Toyota for many years) and he said, all the turbo engines cook their seals. The NA engines never do. I"m on round two of ALL the coolant hoses in the Supra because they were all hard, and showing evidence of fatigue. I even replaced the power steering hoses for the same reason. My F has a little over 100k on it now, and everything under the hood is as soft as new. I'm sure I'll be sitting on all those gaskets and seals for a long time...

I've never put the Supra on a road course. The F has quite a few track weekends under its belt. Toyota turbo engines run hot.

This is exactly why I'm weary of the turbo future Lexus has in mind. I would rather they simply increase displacement on the IS250/350 engines.

My G35 is a little over 10 years old with 140k. All I've ever done is routine maintenance. I have no doubt it'll hit 200k but I don't drive as much as I used to so it could take a long time.
Old 07-04-14, 10:28 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Funny no one mentions the LS400 or LS430. I had a 2006 LS 430 that I bought new and now had 230,000miles on it. I only had to change oil, tires, brakes, and other fluids in the car. Had major maintenannce done at 105k miles. That car ran like a champ just like when I bought it brand new. I sold that car to a friend because I was getting tired of the interior. I sort of miss that car now since talking about high milage cars on this thread. I think I just might have to beg my friend to sell it back to me lol.
what exactly was done at 105K miles?
Old 07-04-14, 10:46 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh really? That's funny cuz I just drove one of our company vehicles yesterday with 364,000 miles on the odometer. It was a Dodge Caravan. This thinking that domestic cars are unable to reach high mileage is completely untrue. We also have other Dodges and Chryslers in our fleet with well over 200,000 miles as well and still running strong
Old 07-04-14, 03:45 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Oh really? That's funny cuz I just drove one of our company vehicles yesterday with 364,000 miles on the odometer. It was a Dodge Caravan. This thinking that domestic cars are unable to reach high mileage is completely untrue. We also have other Dodges and Chryslers in our fleet with well over 200,000 miles as well and still running strong
IMO any car can get there. the only question is HOW MUCH SHOP TIME/PARTS/LABOR/MONEY will it require?

another thing to consider is consistency. out of every 1,000 vehicles how many have problems? you might get lucky and get a great 1/1000 Dodge or VW with no problems but the other 999 buyers are screwed.
Old 07-04-14, 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

IMO any car can get there. the only question is HOW MUCH SHOP TIME/PARTS/LABOR/MONEY will it require?
True to an extent. But it is also true that it is much easier for cars from almost any manufacturer to go well over 100K today without an excessive number of repairs, and even, in some cases, reach 200K. That's why, for example, we see such a proliferation of 100K drivertrain warranties. At one time, they were limited to Hyundai/Kia. Then Mitsubishi, Isuzu, and Suzuki followed suit (Isuzu, at one point, had a 120K powertrain warranty). A number of companies that had 3/36 on the drivetrain went to 5/60, and then 5/100.....simply to keep up with industry trends.
Old 07-04-14, 05:07 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this link says elantra is one of the top 5 reliable used cars.
http://www.carsdirect.com/used-car-b...sed-car-models

and i still see many of these in chicago.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

i go to casper wyoming alot. there are some seriously old american trucks everywhere.

i see these beat up trucks all the time whenever i go to wyoming.

i had a friend who had 20 year old f150 with 300k miles. he bought another new f150.

Last edited by hlee12; 07-04-14 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-04-14, 06:24 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True to an extent. But it is also true that it is much easier for cars from almost any manufacturer to go well over 100K today without an excessive number of repairs, and even, in some cases, reach 200K. That's why, for example, we see such a proliferation of 100K drivertrain warranties. At one time, they were limited to Hyundai/Kia. Then Mitsubishi, Isuzu, and Suzuki followed suit (Isuzu, at one point, had a 120K powertrain warranty). A number of companies that had 3/36 on the drivetrain went to 5/60, and then 5/100.....simply to keep up with industry trends.
Forget the drivetrain. I'm talking about the other brands - at minimum - nickel and diming you to death from the very beginning. Go read the horror stories on the Edmunds forums of the $80K+ brand new German cars crushing their owners with nickel and dime (and much more) problems. Lexus has me spoiled. Money and shop time.
Old 07-04-14, 07:49 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Forget the drivetrain. I'm talking about the other brands - at minimum - nickel and diming you to death from the very beginning. Go read the horror stories on the Edmunds forums of the $80K+ brand new German cars crushing their owners with nickel and dime (and much more) problems. Lexus has me spoiled. Money and shop time.
Agreed. Owning a MB or BMW out of warranty can be an expensive lesson.
Not as many issues with a Lexus.

Quick Reply: The reality of hitting 200k miles...