Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The reality of hitting 200k miles...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-14, 03:53 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

well i wouldn't know to be honest, but my boring '06 explorer has had no electronic gremlins at nearly 90k thankfully.

having said that, one reason i won't consider a ford is the foul myford touch / sync - don't care if it's sony, microsoft, ford doing it, all seemed really bad.

in fact obsolescence, lack of updates, and bugs is what keeps me away from most new vehicles, especially in the infotainment systems, which frankly i don't want much part of but due to bundling of options these days, you have to take all that stuff if you want more upscale features like adaptive cruise.
It looks like Ford is dropping Microsoft in the near future for an infotainment system made by blackberry.

FWIW, my SYNC has been great. I don't have the MyFordTouch though

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-08-14, 04:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I vote for the Macan Sat in the 14 Highlander at the Philly auto show and it's quite nice inside. Between that and the new Avalon, I have high hopes for Toyota interior quality going forward.

She misses the S550, but she wants the S65 that's coming out later this year
lol she can keep on dreaming. for sure i don't think that car will go more than 100k miles without major repair bills
Old 03-08-14, 05:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol she can keep on dreaming. for sure i don't think that car will go more than 100k miles without major repair bills
gotta pay to play. besides, i bet most amg are leased or not kept that long anyway.
Old 03-08-14, 08:40 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

200K is nothing. I think 300K is the proper question to ask. Today's worse built car will probably go 200K. No doubt some will cost a lot during that time (Land Rover, ect.).

My Yaris has 160,000 miles and runs exactly as it did on day one. Just one repair so far. A wheel bearing. It shows no degradation over time. Never seen a car like this. You know how a car usually begins to feel different over time and things wear out or start making noises or rattles? Nothing of the sort with the Yaris. From another owners experience, minor things start going around 450,000 miles.

So I think the broader line is 300K. Toyota's and Honda's laugh at 300K. For everything else 200K can be achieved but many will likely need extensive repairs. All depends on maintenance and driving conditions. All highway over fewer years is much easier than city mileage over 20 years.
Old 03-14-14, 07:41 PM
egs21
Pole Position

I tend to agree with other posters with regard to proper maintenance being the key regardless of the manufacture (in most cases). That being said I trust the Japanese manufactures more as their track record is better.
Old 03-15-14, 06:09 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 02 Camry went 147,000 and had no Issue at all.

Brake Rotors were remachined
Brake Pads
Tires
Oil Changes

Those were all I needed.

The only thing = It is so Boring to drive. Sold it, since my wife had an 06 Camry. Bought her a new Lexus. Now I drive 06 Camry...it is 105k miles now

Hit a dear....front-end damaged, cracked bumper, grill, dent hood, cracked head lamp brackets..

Still drive like a champ

only changed Tires once, oil changes, nothing else
Old 07-01-14, 05:09 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

what about years vs. miles?

20 years? 30 years? 40 years? how long can you run a "daily driver"? and still be safe?
Old 07-01-14, 05:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekko

20 years? 30 years? 40 years? how long can you run a "daily driver"? and still be safe?
There's that Volvo P1800S that gentlemen from NY still has. Over 3 Million miles and counting
Old 07-01-14, 05:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekko

We have a family members LX450 with 350,000 sitting in our drive way in Rochester . Only service and tires. It does have a leaking steering but everything else is solid.
Old 07-01-14, 05:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by egs21
I tend to agree with other posters with regard to proper maintenance being the key regardless of the manufacture (in most cases).

So do I. But equally important with service is how you drive it. In general, the more stress you put on the car, the quicker it will wear. Don't expect the drivetrain to last very long if you want to do burnouts or Jack-Rabbit starts at every stoplight.
Old 07-01-14, 08:24 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Another way to look at quality is how well cars last without much maintenance. Again, that's where Toyota and Honda shine again. Many of these models can be driven to 100K with zero work done other than oil changes and one tranny flush. ( not counting a few wear items - tires, battery, wipers, filters...). Around 100K, one can get away with just a serpentine belt change.

Perhaps above can be seen as regular modern maintenance, however most makes will see many repairs done during this time. Most Toyota's will need no repairs until around 150-200K when you may need to do brake pads and struts. And still, maybe not.

Point is, a Toyota can easily make 200K even if you don't invest in maintenance other than bare minimums like oil. And their best engines could be neglected there as well. The engine would run to 200K even if you only changed oil every 25,000 miles instead of 5,000. With meticulous maintenance, the sky's the limit.
Old 07-01-14, 10:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
...With meticulous maintenance, the sky's the limit.
Sort of. When the parts to repair go E code, there's not a lot you can do. I bought a new dash for my Supra in 2005. There were 11 left hand drive dashes left in the world at that time. The first one showed up broken, so we ordered another. There were 9 left in the world after I got mine...

Some things are challenging for high mileage. FWIW, my Supra has 156k on the odometer, but I guarantee you, if I had not replaced every rubber component under the hood in 2007 before I moved to Georgia, every single hose would be like glass right now. I've seen a few Supras not as meticulously maintained as mine, and you couldn't touch any of the underhood rubber pieces without fear of shattering them. Turbo engines make LOTS of heat. They don't tolerate poor maintenance, and even with really good maintenance, you'd better be prepared to replace everything rubber or plastic a number of times if you expect to hit 200k or 300k miles.

It's not all about country of origin...
Old 07-02-14, 06:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Good post, lobuxracer. Some people get so enamored with turbos and the torque they produce that they forget about their shortcomings....though it is true that we have come a ways from the time when you had to idle a turbo engine a minute or two every time you shut it off to prevent possible damage from zero oil pressure inside the still-spinning turbo. Synthetic oil also helps.
Old 07-02-14, 07:48 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

how much safer is a 2014 car vs. a 2004 car? a 1994 car? a 1984 car?

after how many years of safety advancements does it take to see a significant, appreciable, cumulative increase in passenger safety? my sense is that you really start pushing it after 10-15 years. think of added/better air bags, crumple zones, brake technology etc.

i think at some point it makes sense to upgrade for safety reasons and not be penny wise and pound foolish. i'm still driving a 2004 ES with NAV/ML that i bought brand new and i love it and it still looks and "feels" safe.
Old 07-02-14, 08:00 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sort of. When the parts to repair go E code, there's not a lot you can do. I bought a new dash for my Supra in 2005. There were 11 left hand drive dashes left in the world at that time. The first one showed up broken, so we ordered another. There were 9 left in the world after I got mine...

Some things are challenging for high mileage. FWIW, my Supra has 156k on the odometer, but I guarantee you, if I had not replaced every rubber component under the hood in 2007 before I moved to Georgia, every single hose would be like glass right now. I've seen a few Supras not as meticulously maintained as mine, and you couldn't touch any of the underhood rubber pieces without fear of shattering them. Turbo engines make LOTS of heat. They don't tolerate poor maintenance, and even with really good maintenance, you'd better be prepared to replace everything rubber or plastic a number of times if you expect to hit 200k or 300k miles.

It's not all about country of origin...
interesting comments about the durability of Lexus hoses here -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...hange-out.html

Quick Reply: The reality of hitting 200k miles...