Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Apple CarPlay

Old 02-19-15, 02:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by winst0n
Did they say NX can have this feature with a software upgrade? I tried researching I can't find any article ..
there will certainly be no features like this added via update... I am not sure when does android auto or even carplay start actually shipping in products? I could not find info on Sonata page if it is currently included, so i would guess not yet.

In any case, unless they advertise it when you buy the vehicle, be assured you will not get this via software update.
Old 02-20-15, 02:02 PM
winst0n
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
there will certainly be no features like this added via update... I am not sure when does android auto or even carplay start actually shipping in products? I could not find info on Sonata page if it is currently included, so i would guess not yet.

In any case, unless they advertise it when you buy the vehicle, be assured you will not get this via software update.
I hope you are wrong on this one... but if not.. I'm guessing the reason why Lexus opt to design the screen to sit on top of the dash rather than embedded on the dash is for flexibility to easily change and upgrade the hardware/screen down the road, one can upgrade the screen without having to tear up the front panel, and that it's more flexible to accommodate a little bit bigger screen and still looks good... even Mercedez GLA has the screen sticking out of the dash not embedded on the dash and looks like it can be easily changed.

but i'm still hoping it's just a software upgrade... or at most a firmware upgrade... at least for the 2015 lexus cars

Last edited by winst0n; 02-20-15 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-23-15, 05:47 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Toyota Currently Has No Plans to Support CarPlay or Android Auto in U.S. Check out the quote in that article by John Hanson, National Mgr of Toyota's Advanced Technology Communications.

I'm disappointed, especially if this also applies to Lexus (which it probably does.) The NX and some other current Lexi have Siri Eyes Free, but I'd still prefer more fully-functional CarPlay capabilities in all of my future rides as that becomes available. As much as I love the Lexus brand, IMHO they just don't have a stellar track record creating and maintaining leading-edge Infotainment systems and interfaces with their rapidly evolving technologies -- e.g. Lexus voice recognition in my 2006 and 2013 RX almost never understands me so I gave up on it shortly after purchase each time, but my 2014 MBZ almost never fails accomplishing the task on my first attempt with it's much more far reaching capabilities; I can't add Siri Eyes Free to my 2013 RX unless I buy a new MY that already includes it, yet I have plans to do just that to my MBZ with their Drive Kit that retrofits to most models back to mid-2012.
Old 02-23-15, 07:34 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good ole stubborn Toyota....
Old 02-23-15, 08:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by venom21
Good ole stubborn Toyota....
i would not worry too much about Toyota incorporating all of these... They will never tell you that they will do it, just like they tell you that there is a new engine launch around the corner... they want to sell cars today and not in 6, 10, 12, 24 months from now.

But otherwise, Toyota probably has most cars covered by their infotainment system in the industry.

Until then, we still have to wait for Android Auto and Car Play to start shipping in production vehicles.
Old 02-23-15, 11:52 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought that Hyundai has started to ship cars with both Apple Carplay and Android Auto?
Old 02-23-15, 01:09 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the 2016 pilot has its system run by android.
Old 02-24-15, 07:02 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Awesome. A car that's super susceptible to malware
Old 02-24-15, 07:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

this is not Android Auto... Honda has new infotainment system that is runs on Android 4.0. Toyota uses QNX based system.

As to Hyundai, I am not sure, I went to their Sonata page and there was no mention of it at all. So far it was all presented on various electronic shows, same for Volvo - presented on various shows, but not in production it seems.... Best info I could find was that it will be featured in some cars that goes on sale fall 2015.

But important part of this all is that both CarPlay and Android Auto are interfaces between your phone and existing underlying infotainment system. So all manufacturers will have to have their own systems, and at best have ability to connect to Android Auto or CarPlay, depending on their phone.
Old 02-24-15, 07:30 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Awesome. A car that's super susceptible to malware
Originally Posted by spwolf
this is not Android Auto... Honda has new infotainment system that is runs on Android 4.0. Toyota uses QNX based system.

So Honda decides to put another gimmicky toy in their cars. First it was a sea of buttons, then it was a complicated system of 2 monitor screens, one of which is a touchscreen and the other mouse-controlled. Now it is this toy operating system, Android?

Another reason for me not to get a Honda or Acura.
Old 02-24-15, 07:33 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Now it is this toy operating system, Android?

This comment is so ridiculous it makes me laugh. The Apple sheep is strong in this one,
Old 02-24-15, 09:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
So Honda decides to put another gimmicky toy in their cars. First it was a sea of buttons, then it was a complicated system of 2 monitor screens, one of which is a touchscreen and the other mouse-controlled. Now it is this toy operating system, Android?

Android makes a lot of things easier for them, so thats really good for Honda. They basically lagged years behind everyone else.
Old 02-24-15, 09:27 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
This comment is so ridiculous it makes me laugh. The Apple sheep is strong in this one,

Yes, I prefer iOS to Android for personal products, such as smartphones and tablets; but for critical systems, such as car infotainment systems and medical devices, I prefer more robust operating systems, such as QNX.
Old 02-26-15, 05:29 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dont care which OS it is, car makers infotainment systems just so far behind mobile devices. Needs to come into cars asap. It should be a lot cheaper overall for car makers to use mobile OS and mobile hardware to run their system
Old 02-26-15, 06:28 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am as big an Apple fan as anyone I know but after using the Lexus system I don't care about CarPlay.
Just love the way my iPhone interacts with the Lexus system and it far exceeds my expectations.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay