Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-14, 11:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The Enform App is very buggy though it does work decently when functional. Did you think it was an accident the App is rated 2 stars?! The issue is not with Lexus Vehicles, but rather the Application itself. CarPlay being such a universal system is an excellent way to go if Automakers back it up
everyone will support this and android equivalent within 12 months.

Does anyone know if Apple will support 3rd party apps for this?
Old 04-19-14, 01:00 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like apple is doing it right.

Mirrorlink on the other hand was a clusterfuk of a release. it works like 20 percent of the time.

total disaster.
Old 06-17-14, 06:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Google to reveal operating system that will rival Apple CarPlay

WASHINGTON -- Google Inc. will unveil its first in-car operating system at its annual software developer conference this month, intensifying its race with Apple Inc. to become the leader in dashboard computing, three sources briefed on the project tell Automotive News.

Google’s system, which was known internally as Google Auto Link during development, will be the first product to emerge from the Open Automotive Alliance, a Google-led consortium that also includes Audi AG, General Motors Co., Honda Motor Co., Hyundai Motor Group and chipmaker NVIDIA Corp.

The sources said GAL is not an embedded infotainment system, but a “projected” system -- meaning that smartphones using Google’s Android operating system could be controlled using a car’s own controls and display screen.

Google plans to reveal the interface and offer demonstrations to developers at the Google I/O conference, scheduled for June 25-26 in San Francisco, but will not announce which model will use it first, the sources said. When the Open Automotive Alliance’s formation was announced in January, the group said it would bring the Android operating system to cars “starting in 2014.”

Spokesmen for Mountain View, Calif.-based Google did not return messages seeking comment.

Interfaces for Android phones are a natural next step for Google, which started an automotive push in 2005 and now has partnerships with several automakers. Audi has an exclusive deal for its luxury cars to use Google Earth satellite images as an overlay for GPS maps; Hyundai has equipped some of its cars with a built-in Google search engine function that allows drivers to find nearby destinations with voice recognition.

However, as in the market for smartphones, where the Android operating system has overtaken Apple’s iOS as the world’s most popular with more than 1 billion devices activated, Google is playing fast follower to the inventor of the iPhone.

As in the market for smartphones, where the Android operating system has overtaken Apple’s iOS as the world’s most popular, with more than 1 billion devices activated, Google is playing fast follower to the inventor of the iPhone.

Apple made a splash at the Geneva auto show in March with CarPlay, an interface resembling that of the iPhone. It lets drivers choose a song, set a GPS destination or call a friend using voice controls or large, colorful buttons on a touchscreen.

In press materials, Apple described CarPlay as “a smarter, safer way to use your iPhone in the car” -- with an emphasis on “safer,” now that auto-safety regulators are putting pressure on smartphone companies to reduce the risk of distracted driving.

Apple said in Geneva that CarPlay would be available first in March in the Ferrari FF grand tourer. Apple said that models from Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo would follow later this year.

Apple and Google’s rush into the automotive space could change the approach taken by automakers, which have spent considerable time and money over the past two decades crafting their own infotainment systems.

The technology giants argue that most customers are used to using either iOS or Android smartphones, so offering similar platforms in the car will be a more natural fit. Apple and Google also have large communities of developers who write apps for their platforms -- offering an economy of scale that automakers, with their custom-made infotainment systems, have long lacked.

Apple and Google ultimately aspire to provide embedded infotainment systems, which would offer a lucrative new line of business beyond PCs, tablets and smartphones.

Beyond the system to be unveiled this month, Google is “also developing new Android platform features that will enable the car itself to become a connected Android device,” the company said in January. “Stay tuned for more details coming soon.”
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...apple-carplay#
Old 06-17-14, 10:46 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't take Google long enough. I know Nvidia has been touting about dominating Car OS for a few years now.
Old 06-17-14, 11:26 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Hope Google rocks this thing.
Old 06-25-14, 04:33 PM
Hoovey689

Default Android Auto

Connected cars are coming en-masse. We know this much. How, though, remains something of an open question, especially as two of the world's largest tech companies are preparing to battle for control of your car's dashboard. On the one hand, we have Apple and its CarPlay system. And now, we know what Google has been working on with Auto Link.

Its new name is Android Auto, and yes, it's based off the Android architecture that is the primary challenger to Apple's iOS mobile operating system. Announced at Google's I/O conference today, Android Auto functions similarly to CarPlay – owners will need to plug their smartphones into their cars to access the full breadth of capability.

In Android Auto's case, that means a wealth of voice controls to limit distracted driving. Google's marquee apps will be available when the interface arrives in production models later this year, including Google Play Music, Google Maps and voice-activated texting and text playback. Meanwhile, developers will be able to begin designing custom apps for the new system via an upcoming software development kit.

The technology is nearly as impressive as the roster of manufacturers Google has already enlisted to offer the system. Ford, General Motors and Fiat Chrysler are on board, as are Honda, Hyundai, Nissan and Volkswagen.

It's not entirely clear which manufacturer will be the first to offer Android Auto in a production model, although Google says it expects the tech to hit the roads before the end of the year.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/25/g...nveiled-video/
Old 09-08-14, 09:31 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

^Lets not pollute this thread with Google or Microsoft news, thanks.

The first FF equipped with the Apple CarPlay system has gone to an Italian client. Deliveries of the Ferraris sporting the innovative integrated Apple technology commenced over the last few days and the cars are now arriving at their final destinations and will hit the road all over the world. In Europe, they are bound for Germany, Great Britain, France and Switzerland while others have been dispatched to the United States and Japan.
Old 09-08-14, 11:05 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not in favor of this touch screen methods while driving. Good for the co-pilot though.

It also means the screen has to be close to you, which leads to focusing & readability issues.

Needs Lexus Remote touch or the German dial system to control.
Old 09-08-14, 12:19 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by chikoo
I am not in favor of this touch screen methods while driving. Good for the co-pilot though.

It also means the screen has to be close to you, which leads to focusing & readability issues.

You mean something besides the mouse thingy thats been around for a few years now?
Old 09-08-14, 06:16 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't wait for Android auto to make its way into the mainstream. Sony is already offering an aftermarket head unit into which you can just dock your smartphone (obviously made to work seamlessly with their new phones). It uses the phone as the interface screen and charges the phone while docked. Looks bulky but expected in a first gen product. I already use my phone as the default music source via Bluetooth and use Google maps over my car's built in nav system.
Old 09-08-14, 07:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

it can use anything that car uses.... so it depends on the manufacturer.
Old 09-09-14, 10:03 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doge
You mean something besides the mouse thingy thats been around for a few years now?
No. I am talking about that. I need that to control the Apple carplay.

Imagine, being a long legged person, and have to sit back. How will you touch the screen?

Apple designs are very short sighted. But very well implemented.

Last edited by chikoo; 09-09-14 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-09-14, 11:01 AM
Hoovey689

No. I am talking about that. I need that to control the Apple carplay.

Imagine, being a long legged person, and have to sit back. How will you touch the screen?

Apple designs are very short sighted. But very well implemented.
I'm sure a lot of this will be voice controlled too. Currently on Lexus's you just press and hold the 'off-hook' switch to activate Siri Eyes Free
Old 09-09-14, 02:33 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm sure a lot of this will be voice controlled too. Currently on Lexus's you just press and hold the 'off-hook' switch to activate Siri Eyes Free
Voice recognition is a work in progress too. Cortana has done a real good job of understanding various accents. As of today, when I get a text message, Cortana asks for permission to read them over the cars bluetooth. Once it is done reading, It asks for a reply, which I can dictate, and it translates to a text message and sends it out.
Old 09-09-14, 06:31 PM
weezer
Rookie

When will we see a list of specifically what models for 2015/2016 will have the CarPlay option? Very vague info so far for the most part only stating what brands plan to integrate. For example the new Genesis does not have CarPlay, but the new Sonata does. Calling the manufacturers doesn't give any more info of course, but now that iOS 8 was officially announced today, hopefully the various car companies start releasing more info. I'm looking at a new 2016 Sorento, XC90(confirmed, will have CarPlay) or would consider Lexus again if they ever have a 7 seater car based SUV.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay