Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

new Audi A5/S5, why no thread?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-16, 12:17 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
Default new Audi A5/S5, why no thread?

Coming up on three days now, and no talk about the debut of the new Audi A5/S5. I know not a huge selling car, but surprised nothing has popped up here. Audi's generally have a decent enthusiast fan-base (myself included).
From the looks of it, Audi went extremely mild with the redo. Similar to what they did with the recent A4. While the past coupe was already a very likable shape, I think there was plenty room to make it even better. The hood here is especially tacky. But love the smooth and sleek rear-end.
Overall, I don't think this car will stay fresh and interesting long enough to make it past a few good years of brisk selling.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/03/2...resh-official/
Old 06-05-16, 10:04 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current A5 aged really well as it's been around for about 9 years now. I think this new A5 looks great inside and out. I've seen a couple new A4s are you really have to know cars well to tell it's the new A4. I think this new A5 is a little better differentiated from the current A5.

The 4-series, new A5, and new C300 coupe are all such solid entries into this segment. I'm a BMW guy myself, but would really have to take a close look at the others if I were in the market. Sorry Lexus guys but while the RC looks neat, I just can't get over how heavy it is and it's boy-racer interior.
Old 06-05-16, 10:26 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

When I saw pictures of the new A4, I thought it looked almost identical to the old model and was a bit underwhelmed. However, seeing one in person last week changed my mind about the car. The front end is more sloped, the car appears wider and overall noticeably bigger. The interior quality is on a completely different level than the outgoing model. Overall, very impressive. I imagine the A5 is a similar approach which should be a great success.
Old 06-05-16, 10:50 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the side profile looks identical...the shoulder line/haunch on the rear fender is what bothers me about the current A5 and this one still has it!

I dont know why Audis dont do anything for me. No fizzy sensation. They are handsome, no question, but doesn't excite me. I also dont understand why people praise their interiors. Ill admit I have spent much time in an Audi until a month ago when I rented a previous gen A4. Interior really confused the hell out of me and I didn't find it ergonomic at all. My gripes were the MMI system and how to scroll down a page, you rotate counter clockwise. Then changing the trip computer information didn't require input from the steering wheel, but the stalk?
Old 06-05-16, 01:48 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Hold on, this is a new model???? Looks exactly like the current car IMO.
Old 06-05-16, 02:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

looks awesome...

Old 06-05-16, 02:38 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
the side profile looks identical...the shoulder line/haunch on the rear fender is what bothers me about the current A5 and this one still has it!

I dont know why Audis dont do anything for me. No fizzy sensation. They are handsome, no question, but doesn't excite me. I also dont understand why people praise their interiors. Ill admit I have spent much time in an Audi until a month ago when I rented a previous gen A4. Interior really confused the hell out of me and I didn't find it ergonomic at all. My gripes were the MMI system and how to scroll down a page, you rotate counter clockwise. Then changing the trip computer information didn't require input from the steering wheel, but the stalk?
I love German cars but am definitely a little less partial toward Audis, not because they aren't solid cars but because they feel so cold/sterile/characterless compared to BMW and Mercedes. While BMWs don't drive like they used to, they still have an edge over the competition. I feel more of a connection and emotional attachment to the car. The racing history and heritage of the brand all add character.

Their interiors are definitely well-built and have good attention-to-detail, but I think Mercedes has not only caught up but has surpassed Audi in that category (in regards to their sedans, 'Benz SUVs are still mediocre). I've sat in a couple new Q7s and didn't find them to be any nicer from inside than the X5 or Range Rover Sport. In fact, the very simple and sterile shape of the dashboard reminds me of my E90 BMW. There's nothing that catches the eye from a design-standpoint.
Old 06-05-16, 06:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

i like it, but certainly it is hard to follow the original which had groundbreaking design.
Old 06-05-16, 09:26 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i've always thought Audis are very bland and boring. Kinda like how Lexus used to be. These new spindle Lexus may be controversial, but at least it evokes some emotions
Old 06-05-16, 09:36 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default .............

Diesle-gate happened...... No one cares for VW / Audi
Old 06-06-16, 06:07 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

No RS5, or S5, no care..
Old 06-06-16, 06:45 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Skylar978
No RS5, or S5, no care..
here's your S5

Old 06-06-16, 09:33 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Looks nice but I just wish they would get rid of that big grille, it ruins very clean designs. The last A8 was one of the nicest looking flagship designs but when they added that big widemouth in your face grill it definitely made it and the rest of the lineup worse. It is not just Audi, but many automakers who are ruining nice designs with big oversized grills, the GTR would look much nicer without that big grille, Lexus cars would look better, especially the RC and new GS without that huge grille. At least give the option to paint the design elements/pieces inside the grille body color instead of them being black or silver and standing out so much.
Old 06-06-16, 10:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
Diesle-gate happened...... No one cares for VW / Audi
vw obviously has never done well (in the u.s.) and diesel-gate certainly made things worse.

audi on the other hand is doing about 2/3rds of lexus sales volume in the u.s. - pretty impressive.

Audi achieved its best May sales in the U.S., marking the 65th straight monthly record.
Old 06-06-16, 12:01 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Saw these in person the other week, the stamping and sheetmetal work are extremely impressive in person. As are the details for the lighting and interior. Added surfacing on the sides are a nice update from the fairly slab sided and soft creases on the current model (still a great looking car). Car has a lower/wider presence to it.

Quick Reply: new Audi A5/S5, why no thread?