Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Reliability vs Resale value...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-14, 09:45 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The S2000 doesn't have the 'chick car' thing at least in my area.At least that I know of.
I think I worded it poorly. I meant that men have the S2000 as a Miata substitute, which does not have the chick car thing to it. The only other true two seat sports car in the sub $50k range would be a lotus, but that is significantly more than either.

Last edited by darkdream; 03-01-14 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-01-14, 09:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
I think I worded it poorly. I meant that men have the S2000 as a Miata substitute, which does not have the chick car thing to it. The only other two true two seat sports car in the sub $50k range would be a lotus, but that is significantly more than either.
Old 03-01-14, 10:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I've seen a couple of TV shows where one of the main male characters buys a Miata and is ridiculed by his co stars on the chick car thing.
In my book, ridiculing someone for that is pure ignorance.
Old 03-01-14, 11:36 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And how come people don't buy a new STI instead they buy Used STI ?

Say a Used 2011 STI with 15k miles on it is now being listed for 32,000$. While the New one limited is only 38k or so...now that is not with the Negotiation yet.

Why not paying 5-6K for a Brand-New ? but Used one ? with the risk of it being Abused, and that is just so common for the platform ...

Trully mind Bogging
Old 03-01-14, 01:18 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whitigir
And how come people don't buy a new STI instead they buy Used STI ?

Say a Used 2011 STI with 15k miles on it is now being listed for 32,000$. While the New one limited is only 38k or so...now that is not with the Negotiation yet.

Why not paying 5-6K for a Brand-New ? but Used one ? with the risk of it being Abused, and that is just so common for the platform ...

Trully mind Bogging
My sister got a Toyota Corolla on sale for less than the price of used Toyota Corollas. Cars high in demand will retain their value. STI is a car for young people who usually modify their cars, so 5k-6k is 5k-6k in modifications.
Old 03-01-14, 02:52 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The first wrong assumption IMHO is that you assume everyone values reliability as a very high priority. Most people would rather have a car they like that is reliably enough, vs a car they don't like with much better reliability. Resale value is basically based off how desirable the product is and how much demand for that product there is.

As to why one might buy a used car with high resale value rather than spend a little more for a brand new one it just depends. In my state when we buy a used car private party we pay no sales tax. That alone could save you some decent cash. In your STi example at $32K used vs $38K new that could be a savings of $8,000 if you bought the new one after you factor in tax, doc fees, new registration fees and so forth. Buying the used one at least in my state would be straight $32K plus $10 for transfer of title and registration. Once the registration expires, than you will pay about $300 a year for registration while on the new one you pay the the sales tax, doc fees, the $300 registration fee all up front.
Old 03-01-14, 03:01 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The first wrong assumption IMHO is that you assume everyone values reliability as a very high priority. Most people would rather have a car they like that is reliably enough, vs a car they don't like with much better reliability. Resale value is basically based off how desirable the product is and how much demand for that product there is.

As to why one might buy a used car with high resale value rather than spend a little more for a brand new one it just depends. In my state when we buy a used car private party we pay no sales tax. That alone could save you some decent cash. In your STi example at $32K used vs $38K new that could be a savings of $8,000 if you bought the new one after you factor in tax, doc fees, new registration fees and so forth. Buying the used one at least in my state would be straight $32K plus $10 for transfer of title and registration. Once the registration expires, than you will pay about $300 a year for registration while on the new one you pay the the sales tax, doc fees, the $300 registration fee all up front.
Now, that makes some more senses. The 8k saved probably end up in a new engine, if they blow up. I wish in my state, there was no Used car Sale Tax
Old 03-01-14, 03:31 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

STI has those issue when people start to tune their car beyond what the stock internal can hold. There are very very few complaints about those issues in stock car. Well, Subaru release their much improved FA engine, and it makes the same power as STI in JDM Legacy GT. I don't see a reason to buy an STI, unless you want to take it to the track.
Old 03-02-14, 07:55 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cino
STI has those issue when people start to tune their car beyond what the stock internal can hold. There are very very few complaints about those issues in stock car. Well, Subaru release their much improved FA engine, and it makes the same power as STI in JDM Legacy GT. I don't see a reason to buy an STI, unless you want to take it to the track.
I wish the Legacy in the states will be just as powerful. The Legacy 3.6R only has 265 HP . I don't know what the R stand for...."Rowing" ? I may go with the STI for possibility of bringing it to the Track, or the Xcross event. It is just the engine reliability that scare me.

But still, it truly is mind bogging to have a vehicle that hold it value so well together....just Amazing...Even Lexus doesn't have a car that can hold the value just as well.

The last vehicle from Toyota I remember that actually never lose value = Supra. But, that only happen after they siege the productions

Last edited by Whitigir; 03-02-14 at 07:59 AM.