Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura organizes new business division to confront falling sedan sales

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 06:07 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

They should get rid of their stupid model names.

Call the RLX the Legend like the glory days and im sure doing that alone would help sales!!!

I never seen a brand go through so many model name updates.
Gone are Legend, Vigor, Integra, SLX, RSX, RL, NSX, CL, ZDX......thats just nuts to have so many discontinued models.
Soon to be gone TL, TSX
Now its RLX, ILX, MDX, RDX

There is no continuity at all. Its almost as bad as Infiniti changing to Q and QX.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 02-26-14 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-26-14, 06:25 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
They should get rid of their stupid model names.

Call the RLX the Legend like the glory days and im sure doing that alone would help sales!!!

I never seen a brand go through so many model name updates.
Gone are Legend, Vigor, Integra, SLX, RSX, RL, NSX, CL, ZDX......thats just nuts to have so many discontinued models.
Soon to be gone TL, TSX
Now its RLX, ILX, MDX, RDX

There is no continuity at all. Its almost as bad as Infiniti changing to Q and QX.
Agreed. No longevity = no loyalty build. "Legend" and "Integra" had a strong following.

Also, in Canada before the ILX we had the 99% Civic-cloned CSX and EL
Old 02-26-14, 06:33 PM
LexFather

We have heard the same plans/excuses for what 15 years now….the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results and that is what they have done, Civic and Accord based cars, the same engines for everything etc etc. Beak styling just compounded problems they had. Its the same story every year, every thread for years now.

They put all their effort in a RLX hybrid which is their flagship, basically the best sedan they can make and reviews have been all over the place and the Accord Styling just kills it. They aimed for a market where brands sell 20-50 cars a month. Makes no sense to do that then claim people don't want V-8s which sell in greater quantities.

Heck they don't even have exposed exhausts! Just blank bumpers

Old 02-26-14, 06:49 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
As many of you have stated in similar ways, Product Differentiation from Honda is not enough and why as a past avid Acura fan/owner and current luxury car consumer, am not interested any longer in Acura. This is my fear with the way Toyota is catching up to Lexus (or the other way around), aka Avalon/ES and Highlander/RX.
You make a very compelling point. And you are right.

The Avalon & Highlander have seen Toyota injecting back some quality work into their interiors. Where as Lexus has made cost cuts to their interior and some aspects of the exterior too..
Old 02-26-14, 06:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
You honestly think Acura USA was doing something as major as vehicle development without Corporate's full endorsement? Dream on. The U.S. sales arms have zero power over final decisions. Yes they'll try to drum up some PR spin on what they're doing and touting their newfound self-reliance, but in the end the main power and pursestrings still reside in Japan.

Acura does need this shake up, and Toyota/Lexus/Scion Product Planning does too.
Yes Honda is one of the more limiting manufacturers when it comes to it's regional arms. Point was these ideas originated outside Corporate and thank goodness for that since neither would exist no doubt.

If they'd bother to retract their claws a bit perhaps regions and consumers alike would start getting what they actually want. Who'd have thought a region knows their demographic better than the person thousands of miles away
Old 02-26-14, 07:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yes Honda is one of the more limiting manufacturers when it comes to it's regional arms. Point was these ideas originated outside Corporate and thank goodness for that since neither would exist no doubt.

If they'd bother to retract their claws a bit perhaps regions and consumers alike would start getting what they actually want. Who'd have thought a region knows their demographic better than the person thousands of miles away
But Acura designed the beak..this was all them for America by Americans built in America. So they obviously are out of touch. Acura is an American brand and they don't know what Americans want in sedans. Again SUV sales are not impressive since most ANY SUV sells, you have to really miss the mark to not sell a SUV.

With Germans now with multiple models in the 30-40k territory, with Lexus, then Buick, Lincoln, then Hyundai, Kia, Avalon, etc etc where does this leave Acura?

They are trying to sell a Civic based 110hp ILX hybrid with 38MPG for 35k MSRP! They are completely out of touch and sales reflect that.

Hey told ya so

Old 02-26-14, 09:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooks2IS
The problem is, Honda sedans are so good. Why buy a 50k RLX when a 35k Accord Touring does everything just as well and literally has 95% of the equipment?
sure if you just judge by a spreadsheet of features. an rlx is a good bit bigger than an accord, more powerful, quieter, and more luxurious.

Originally Posted by yowps3
The Avalon & Highlander have seen Toyota injecting back some quality work into their interiors. Where as Lexus has made cost cuts to their interior and some aspects of the exterior too..
well i like to think it's cyclic, and what might make sense during one product cycle may need change later... so cost cuts may be a priority at one time, but later more features, or more luxury, etc.

i really don't like the interior of the current RX for example, even though it's a great vehicle overall. but now that toyota has stepped it up big time for the highlander i bet the next rx is really something...

with the rx and ls leading the lexus line-up, i am optimistic about big 'wow' factor for next generation of both!
Old 02-26-14, 09:51 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sure if you just judge by a spreadsheet of features. an rlx is a good bit bigger than an accord, more powerful, quieter, and more luxurious.

well i like to think it's cyclic, and what might make sense during one product cycle may need change later... so cost cuts may be a priority at one time, but later more features, or more luxury, etc.

i really don't like the interior of the current RX for example, even though it's a great vehicle overall. but now that toyota has stepped it up big time for the highlander i bet the next rx is really something...

with the rx and ls leading the lexus line-up, i am optimistic about big 'wow' factor for next generation of both!
Yea could be the case. It's been a while since Lexus done a 'wow' car. In my opinion the 2IS, LS460 & 3GS were all 'wow' and really stepped up the game. But those are almost 10yrs ago.

I remember everyone thinking that there was no way Lexus could improve upon the LS430, but Lexus proved them wrong.
Old 02-27-14, 10:31 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
But Acura designed the beak..this was all them for America by Americans built in America. So they obviously are out of touch. Acura is an American brand and they don't know what Americans want in sedans. Again SUV sales are not impressive since most ANY SUV sells, you have to really miss the mark to not sell a SUV.

With Germans now with multiple models in the 30-40k territory, with Lexus, then Buick, Lincoln, then Hyundai, Kia, Avalon, etc etc where does this leave Acura?

They are trying to sell a Civic based 110hp ILX hybrid with 38MPG for 35k MSRP! They are completely out of touch and sales reflect that.

Hey told ya so
Yeah hopefully, this reorganization removes the people who made those blunders from positions of responsibility. As you said the in past, Lexus needs a strong Acura and Infiniti.
Old 02-27-14, 10:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Acura needs Honda to give them money and full control to do what they need to do. Otherwise it will continue to be hard market for them.
Old 02-27-14, 11:17 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I would just hope they finally spend the money needed to get a RWD platform.

The RLX is not much more of a car than the TL and they kind of bump into each other.

That being said I would like to see the RLX replacement be RWD based and have a coupe/vert iteration(s).

The problem is that is going to take years to execute.

Nearer tern, they should do some sport versions of what they have (a la the old ITR) to catch the draft the NSX will create starting in 2015.
Old 02-28-14, 12:30 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Step 1: figure out how to rotate the engine 90 degrees...
Old 02-28-14, 02:12 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Mmraider

The Vigor had the engine going that way but was still an FWD car
Old 02-28-14, 02:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The 2nd gen Legend and the 1st gen RL also had longitudinally mounted engines. Great for Left /Right weight distribution, and reducing torque steer.
Old 02-28-14, 06:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

We are over-analyzing the situation and skipping the obvious (just as Honda/Acura is). The #1 problem with this company is styling and the front grille. Any executive can swoop in and promise to turn the company around. But absolutely nothing is going to change until they dump the silly, ungainly, heavy, and out of style shield grille. It makes all front ends look bad and that's the first impression/judgement everyone makes of any car. You can't peddle advanced and high-tech cars if they appear severely blemished.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 03-01-14 at 10:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Acura organizes new business division to confront falling sedan sales