Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CONFIRMED: Honda to drop Accord Crosstour after 2015

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-15, 07:46 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default CONFIRMED: Honda to drop Accord Crosstour after 2015

Please keep the cheering to a dull roar.

Roughly a half-dozen people will be disappointed to learn Honda has confirmed rumours it will cut the ugly-duckling Accord Crosstour hatchback-thing after the 2015 model year.

Introduced in 2010, the Crosstour was Honda’s Aztek [OUCH!!], looking like it was styled by a committee of people who knew nothing about vehicle design. The unfortunate thing was that its awkward styling hid a practical, comfortable interior that combined full-size sedan passenger space with a vast cargo area.

According to Automotive News, the Crosstour’s elimination will allow Honda’s East Liberty, Ohio plant to focus on the more popular CR-V and the refreshed RDX compact luxury crossover. The plant will also take on production of Acura’s larger MDX in 2017.

Automotive News quotes Honda USA’s executive VP John Mendel as saying the forthcoming HR-V will “meet the needs of customers who were once targeted by the Crosstour,” but we fail to see how a compact crossover could fill the shoes of the much larger Crosstour. In any event, the HR-V puts Honda in a more lucrative segment, and it won’t siphon sales from the redesigned Pilot that was unveiled at the Toronto auto show.

Honda’s news comes a couple of months after Toyota said it plans to cut Crosstour’s crosstown rival, the Venza, from its lineup in favour of the more conventional RAV4 and Highlander models.
Source: Autos.ca

In its announcement for the vehicle's discontinuation, Honda says the new HR-V should "play a more significant role as a gateway model." The company thinks the crossover segment today has changed from when the Crosstour debuted.

The capacity at the East Liberty Plant in Ohio previously required for Crosstour production will be used for the more popular CR-V, Acura RDX and, as of early 2017, the MDX. Meanwhile, production of the Honda Accord Hybrid will be moved from the Marysville Auto Plant in Ohio to Japan.
Source: Autoblog

How is a sub-compact crossover HR-V (based on the Fit) going to take the place of the mid-/full-size Crosstour?
Old 04-09-15, 07:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A few years too late.
Old 04-09-15, 08:16 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I didn't know they were still being made.
Old 04-09-15, 08:43 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I agree.
I hardly see any, just like the insight (so called "prius-killer") and ridgeline.
Old 04-09-15, 10:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I agree.
I hardly see any, just like the insight (so called "prius-killer") and ridgeline.
On paper the ideas all seem palatable, in reality..
Old 04-09-15, 12:38 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it would be news if they did not drop it.
Old 04-09-15, 01:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

It had the potential to be a good Outback/Venza competitor, except that Honda screwed up the design with that droop-rear-end that took up valuable cargo space behind the rear seat and made for poor visibility out the rear for the driver. Honda never admitted that was the problem, but it was obvious.
Old 04-09-15, 03:11 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I never understood how a car like that could be approved or what they were thinking when they decided to do it. It is just plain odd and ugly looking, there is no real market for it, they could have just done a Accord wagon which would have looked much better, sold better, and been easier to implement. I heard the Venza is going to be discontinued too if it isn't already.

Now they can focus on a new S2000 or resurrecting the Prelude for Honda.
Old 04-09-15, 05:02 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My client just bought a brand new one, 6k off MSRP!
Old 04-09-15, 05:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
My client just bought a brand new one, 6k off MSRP!
I don't know whether to be happy or sad for him
Old 04-09-15, 11:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It had the potential to be a good Outback/Venza competitor, except that Honda screwed up the design with that droop-rear-end that took up valuable cargo space behind the rear seat and made for poor visibility out the rear for the driver. Honda never admitted that was the problem, but it was obvious.
I agree, the droopy rear was the biggest mistake. But I'd blame the styling, rather than cargo space, as the main reason customers shied away. As a category, carlike cross-over thingies like these are actually picking up in popularity. So Honda could have played more on this if they styled it better. Too round and too droopy for most people's taste.
Old 04-10-15, 03:33 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

YAY!!!

The angle of the rear window shines glare directly onto my line of sight while following it on my Ducati. I never liked it for that. And I never liked it because it's hideous.
Old 04-10-15, 05:29 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should try again though, just with better styling. The Outback and All-Road are legends.
Old 04-10-15, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by article
The unfortunate thing was that its awkward styling hid a practical, comfortable interior that combined full-size sedan passenger space with a vast cargo area.
No. It did NOT have a vast, space-efficient cargo area, because of the droop-down rear-end styling. I addressed that in my earlier post.
Old 04-10-15, 07:52 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I never understood how a car like that could be approved or what they were thinking when they decided to do it. It is just plain odd and ugly looking, there is no real market for it, they could have just done a Accord wagon which would have looked much better, sold better, and been easier to implement. I heard the Venza is going to be discontinued too if it isn't already.

Now they can focus on a new S2000 or resurrecting the Prelude for Honda.
Agreed! I bought one of the last prelude Type SHs made (2001), and have regretted getting rid of it. The thing was bullet proof, had superb handling, great gas mileage, and a blast to drive. Of course that was back when Honda's reliability was still stellar (still good now, but not what it used to be). They need to get back to making fun cars like the prelude and the S2000.

Quick Reply: CONFIRMED: Honda to drop Accord Crosstour after 2015