Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Has Toyota caught up to near-Lexus quality and features?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 07:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Question Has Toyota caught up to near-Lexus quality and features?

As I'm looking into the Highlander, I can't help but think how well finished this car is and all the tech it has equal to a loaded RX. Reviews also say how quiet it is with some Toyotanation forum members stating it's as quiet and smooth as the RX.

There was a time 1 generation ago and prior where pre-collision, BSM, LDW, self-parking etc, were exclusive to Lexus (and luxury brands for that matter). Now I can get a a Toyota for 30% less than a Lexus but with 95% of the fit/finish/materials/NVH/tech/features. Take even the new IS which has just been redesigned for MY 2014 and tech-wise, nothing earth-shattering you can't get today in a loaded Toyota. Where are those luxury features separating it from the mainstream? I see the materials in the IS not being superior to a Highlander's for instance like maybe it once was. So from a content standpoint, the separation between non-luxury Toyota and Lexus is diminishing making the value proposition a little more tough to swallow. Of course this is not unique to Toyota/Lexus but with all mainstream vehicles catching up to luxury vehicles. I applaud Toyota for re-injecting quality today in their mainstream cars like they did in the 90s, but I'm concerned Toyota is not bumping up Lexus with the same "jump" in improvements. I say this with a heavy heart being an avid Lexus fan and owner. From experience having a past 2 IS to a new 3 IS and past 2 RXs to the new 3 RX, I clearly see very little in materials quality/fit/finish improvements if at all (in fact some plastics got downgraded like lower door panels/dash in latest gens).

What do you guys think?
Old 02-24-14, 08:31 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyotas made in America have many more issues than those made in Japan (Lexus included). It is every evident in my large family with many high mileage drivers (many drive 40k miles/year). Also some Toyota enter the price of lower-end Lexus. The highlander pricing probably overlaps the IS250.
Old 02-24-14, 11:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Hopefully the addition of the NX moves the RX upmarket for both quality of materials and feature content. It's missing features both the Highlander, Pathfinder and others offer
Old 02-24-14, 11:12 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. Recently some Lexus models (cough ES) are just simply cheap.

The new Avalon is superior to the new ES in every aspect.

Last edited by yowps3; 02-24-14 at 11:16 PM. Reason: N
Old 02-25-14, 01:12 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah but the highlander is ugly !
Old 02-25-14, 01:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
No. Recently some Lexus models (cough ES) are just simply cheap.

The new Avalon is superior to the new ES in every aspect.
To me the two are so similar it's strictly a matter of styling and personal preference.
Old 02-25-14, 02:40 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pman6
yeah but the highlander is ugly !
The RX is not really a looker either.
Old 02-25-14, 02:51 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

I think the CT doesn't really feel like a Lexus either. For the price of the CT, I rather have this. It's cheaper and more practical too.

Toyota Auris Sport Touring Hybrid

Old 02-25-14, 04:52 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are correct. Toyota and lexus ride similar. The most differences would be material, inerior styling, exterior design. Always has been.

Recently, toyota is very close to lexus in the interior design.

I hear that Lexus has been cutting cost.

Betweenbthe high lander and RX. The last gen high lander was good looking, current RX look great. The differences = third row seat or not.
Old 02-25-14, 05:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
Toyotas made in America have many more issues than those made in Japan (Lexus included).
don't believe any lexus is made in the u.s. the rx is made in canada, and it has outstanding quality and reliability ratings, so not sure what you're saying. the camry, made in the u.s. is also extremely highly rated.
Old 02-25-14, 05:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
I think the CT doesn't really feel like a Lexus either. For the price of the CT, I rather have this. It's cheaper and more practical too.

Toyota Auris Sport Touring Hybrid

Not sure why you picked wagon version, there is a hatchback Auris, same as CT200h.

If you equip it similar to CT200h, with hybrid powertrain, prices become similar as well... CT200h is a lot better finished, has a lot nicer interior, quieter and handles better too.

IMHO, there is a smaller difference between A3 and Golf than CT200h and Auris.
Old 02-25-14, 05:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
As I'm looking into the Highlander, I can't help but think how well finished this car is and all the tech it has equal to a loaded RX.
things progress, so does Toyota... thankfully.

Loaded Highlander Hybrid is $50k, not far of from RX prices at all, certainly no 30% difference.
If you look enough, i think differences will be easy to find... I hope Toyota continues with this trend.
Old 02-25-14, 06:36 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
don't believe any lexus is made in the u.s. the rx is made in canada, and it has outstanding quality and reliability ratings, so not sure what you're saying. the camry, made in the u.s. is also extremely highly rated.
I think the US Camry uses cheaper parts. Someone pointed out that only the US model were affected by the pedal recall and not the JDM.
Old 02-25-14, 07:23 AM
LexFather

There is always some overlap and with generation changes the new Toyota's always gain features an older Lexus might not have or has and then the new Lexus comes out and ups the game. Just the way of the car world.

A Lexus is still built to twice the threshold of tolerances and has higher materials etc. No disrespect to Toyota but a 5 year old Toyota vs a 5 year old Lexus are two different cars.

Also with Lexus going sportier there are more efforts into that realm. Take the IS gauges, the LEDs, the huge brakes, the electro touch temperature controls etc…. not the GS HUD, rear steer, semi-analine leather etc etc….the LS has Brembo brake option, LSD on the F-sport, a huge 12.3 inch screen ala the GS etc and every light is LED.

So I would not say caught up, just things are in transition again. My folks love their 2014 RX but they comment all the time the features are lacking compared to the HS 250h they traded in (which was loaded). I believe the Rav-4 has some of these features now.

Old 02-25-14, 07:51 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
To me the two are so similar it's strictly a matter of styling and personal preference.
That's the issue. They SHOULD NOT be similar. The Lexus should at least have better material quality and refinement. Aesthetics & design are subjective.

I remember driving the ES330 a few yrs ago and it was extremely plush. So refined, quiet and you felt like you were riding on a cloud.

I haven't driven the new ES350 but several reviewers have stated that the ride is no longer plush and soft. But I have sat inside the new ES350 and the material quality and level of plushness was very poor. Hard grainy plastics, flimsy panels and a cold design that doesn't have that plush luxury of the previous ES models that Lexus WAS known for.

Quick Reply: Has Toyota caught up to near-Lexus quality and features?