Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I did the unthinkable

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 06:56 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I did the unthinkable

Hello everyone!

I guess I can say I am both sad and happy at the same time with what I am about to tell you. I have been a Lexus lover ever since we bought the original RX for my wife back in 1998-99. Since that time we have purchased 2 more RX's (latest one being the RX450h back in 2010) for my wife and I bought my first LS in December 2003 (2004 model) and finally a 2008 LS460L which I still own. However, I will only have this car for about 2 more weeks. I never thought the day would come when I would consider anything other than another Lexus for my next car. But that day is here.

After doing a lot of research a couple months ago, I decided that the best car for me at this stage in my life would be the 2014 S550. The innovation, incredible high tech features for comfort and safety blew me away. This car basically drives itself. Having said this, I still would not have pulled the trigger if the price was not right. But with the $4,500 discount I got for the S550, It would have cost me about as much to get a fully loaded 2014 LS460L AWD. However, some of the features on the S550 are not available on the LS.

When I test drove the new S550, it was heavenly. As I stated above, it basically drives itself. The massaging front seats with hot stone are out of this world. Since, I take several very long drives during the course of a year, this feature will be very soothing for my back. In any case, the deed is done. I still like Lexus and my wife still drives the RX450h, but I feel that Lexus has not been as responsive to the new technology as has Mercedes in recent years.

If someone would have told me a year or two ago that I would be getting a Mercedes for my next car, I would have called him/her crazy. But I guess as Bob Dillon wrote many years ago, "The times, they are a changin'." My S550 should be ready to pick up in about 2 weeks.

Before I finish rambling on, I want to give a very special thanks to jmcraney (Jeff) here. He has been a godsend with that wind noise problem than many of us experienced on the LS. Jeff, you are a fantastic human being. I hope everything is going great with you and your family.
Old 02-24-14, 07:34 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

man I am sure you will enjoy that s550, that car is stunning and we can only hope the newer lexus catch up to MB on technology. The coupe is stunning as well, enjoy.
Old 02-24-14, 07:51 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lextrician
man I am sure you will enjoy that s550, that car is stunning and we can only hope the newer lexus catch up to MB on technology. The coupe is stunning as well, enjoy.
Thanks Lextrician. I am truly looking forward to it.
Old 02-24-14, 09:18 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

When I bought my LS I also looked at the S550, Audi A8 and BMW 750i. At the time the LS was the most technologically advanced. I haven't driven the new S550, but from everything I have read they have separated themselves from the field.

I am shocked that the price is the same now. Back in 2007 the comparably equipped S550 was a full $25,000 more than my LS.

Congrats on the new car and I wish you good luck with it!

PS, be sure to come back and post some pics.
Old 02-24-14, 09:39 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
When I bought my LS I also looked at the S550, Audi A8 and BMW 750i. At the time the LS was the most technologically advanced. I haven't driven the new S550, but from everything I have read they have separated themselves from the field.

I am shocked that the price is the same now. Back in 2007 the comparably equipped S550 was a full $25,000 more than my LS.

Congrats on the new car and I wish you good luck with it!

PS, be sure to come back and post some pics.
Thank you for the good wishes. When I first looked into the new S550 I was stunned that the price was SO low. Yes indeed. When I purchased my LS460L in December of 2007, the LS was much lower in price than the S550 and I felt it was at least if not more technologically advanced, than the S550. Man oh man, how things have changed. In all honesty, even if I could afford it, I would rather have the new S550 over the Rolls or the Bentley now. This car is nothing short of amazing. It is also very nice looking in my opinion.

I shall indeed post some photos when I bring it home.
Old 02-25-14, 04:00 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Congrats..I am also a fan of the 2014 S550. I hope Lexus comes back hard for the next gen because Benz styling and features on this new 550 is making me forget about another LS in the future for me. As long as I have a warranty..who cares
Old 02-25-14, 05:07 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats! MB defiantly raised the bar in the flagship class and has put a line in the sand. The car is truly a marvel from every aspect so I can see why it was an easy decision. The next from the ground up LS won't be out I'm thinking late 2016 or early 2017 since they stretch out the life span a little longer to stagger the line up releases, tech moves at the speed of light in the digital era who knows what the next LS will bring.
Old 02-25-14, 06:01 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
Congrats! MB defiantly raised the bar in the flagship class and has put a line in the sand. The car is truly a marvel from every aspect so I can see why it was an easy decision. The next from the ground up LS won't be out I'm thinking late 2016 or early 2017 since they stretch out the life span a little longer to stagger the line up releases, tech moves at the speed of light in the digital era who knows what the next LS will bring.
I think the 13+ LS model will most likely go through 2017-2018. Is the 2013 model considered a redesign instead of a revamp?
Old 02-25-14, 07:30 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I always loved the S550 and the new version is STUNNING and a marvel of engineering. However, after being scarred by my 7 series BMW's horrendous reliability/cost, and MB's less than stellar reputation for reliability, I switched gears and went with the LS. BUT....that's only because I can't afford to buy a vehicle like these that's new enough to come with factory warranty. If I could, then I probably would ....although spending too much time in a shop isn't fun either - free repair or not.

Good luck with your new ride Patsoxfan, I'm jealous!

And as others have said, PICS!!
Old 02-25-14, 08:03 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tee
Thank you Tee! It will be interesting if Lexus raises the bar substantially with the next generation.
Old 02-25-14, 08:05 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I always loved the S550 and the new version is STUNNING and a marvel of engineering. However, after being scarred by my 7 series BMW's horrendous reliability/cost, and MB's less than stellar reputation for reliability, I switched gears and went with the LS. BUT....that's only because I can't afford to buy a vehicle like these that's new enough to come with factory warranty. If I could, then I probably would ....although spending too much time in a shop isn't fun either - free repair or not.

Good luck with your new ride Patsoxfan, I'm jealous!

And as others have said, PICS!!
I will post some photos when I get the car in a couple weeks hopefully.
Old 02-25-14, 08:12 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
....although spending too much time in a shop isn't fun either - free repair or not.
Great point, def something to keep in mind
Old 02-25-14, 08:22 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Great point, def something to keep in mind
I factored all that in my decision, but the truth is that the reliability of Mercedes has improved the past few years. The new S550 is probably not as reliable as the LS, but it's probably not that far apart.
Old 02-25-14, 09:00 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am very interested in what your yearly fuel spend will be now with the historically thirsty S550.

That being said, MB have been said to be 10 years ahead of the pack but about 1.2-1.5 times more money than the Lexus. I Also believe the 10-year gap is more like 3-4 years now.

Good luck!
Old 02-25-14, 12:05 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by peteybabes
I am very interested in what your yearly fuel spend will be now with the historically thirsty S550.

That being said, MB have been said to be 10 years ahead of the pack but about 1.2-1.5 times more money than the Lexus. I Also believe the 10-year gap is more like 3-4 years now.

Good luck!
Pardon me, but you sound a little harsh/bitter in my opinion. Where do you get the idea that the new S550 is any more gas thirsty than the LS? If anything, it is more fuel efficient than the LS.

As far as the cost is concerned, there is hardly any gap between the two brands anymore. As I stated on another post somewhere, I am actually paying the same amount for this new S550 as it would have cost me for a fully loaded (without the executive package) LS460L. The S use to cost $20-25K more than the LS but that was then and this is now.

Quick Reply: I did the unthinkable