Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New interior colors for the Lexus LX and Land Cruiser

Old 02-10-15, 05:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I highly doubt the 5.7 will change all that much. We are talking about an SUV with 383hp, the cost is $90k and the ownership loyalty is the strongest in the segment. Perhaps DI or more transmission speeds, but the 5.7 will carry on.
Toyota is updating all the engines, so this will likely be updated as well... It doesnt make sense for Tacoma to get latest engine design and LX to stay with old one.
Old 02-10-15, 10:11 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
These look like standard LX570 wheels in China. I'm not good at it but if words on the side of the flatbed truck are Chinese that might be just a pre-facelift vehicle modded by the owner. I do get you can disguise a mule by outfitting old body parts but for god's sake why the old mirrors?
Fair point, however this picture was taken in Japan, Toyota City ( Aichi ) to be exact. The standard LX wheels look similar but they are still different and these are definitely the LC wheels.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 02-10-15 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 11:29 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

For a truck approaching 8 or 9 yrs old already, it looks beautiful still. Adding DI and etc, improves FE by about 10% perhaps, but still dismal. What it needs is a weight loss with more exotic materials while retaining the same level of toughness. More gears and newer engine tech wont help as much with a 6000lb behemoth strapped to it.
Old 02-11-15, 08:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Toyota is updating all the engines, so this will likely be updated as well... It doesnt make sense for Tacoma to get latest engine design and LX to stay with old one.
When Toyota introduced the 4.0 V6 in the 2003 4Runner, it took 6 models years for that engine to finally make it into a Land Cruiser.
And the 4Runner at the time was built in the same Tahara plant as the LC.

I highly doubt we will see a new engine any time soon. The LC just recently got the 4.6 a fews years after the Tundra and GX.
Old 02-13-15, 08:39 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Excellent work as usual UZJ, that is definitely a component mule test vehicle. The LX has no business casually being in Japan, as they are primarily for export or testing when in Japan. It is the latter in this case, judging by mismatched items and some other aspects. A 2015 model for export is not going to look like that, AT ALL.
Old 02-13-15, 10:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
When Toyota introduced the 4.0 V6 in the 2003 4Runner, it took 6 models years for that engine to finally make it into a Land Cruiser.
And the 4Runner at the time was built in the same Tahara plant as the LC.

I highly doubt we will see a new engine any time soon. The LC just recently got the 4.6 a fews years after the Tundra and GX.
And yet, I had one in 2006.... 4.0 GR engine was introduced in 2005 in Land Cruiser Prado.

Toyota themselves said that they will update 18 engines by the end of 2015.
Old 02-13-15, 12:25 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

And yet, I had one in 2006.... 4.0 GR engine was introduced in 2005 in Land Cruiser Prado.

Toyota themselves said that they will update 18 engines by the end of 2015.
Out of curiosity, how many motors have they release/updated so far this year? I know the Tacoma is one. Which ones might be left???? Hmmm....

The anticipation
Old 02-13-15, 01:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Out of curiosity, how many motors have they release/updated so far this year? I know the Tacoma is one. Which ones might be left???? Hmmm....

The anticipation
hard to say how are they counting... but since they made that announcement about new engine tech in April 2014 I believe, they updated 1.0l, 1.5l, then 2.0t and 5.0l V8. larger 4cly engines were not touched yet, as well as hybrids (Prius is coming) and V6's where we have announcement but not the numbers. About the time to update diesels as well.
Old 02-13-15, 02:17 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

hard to say how are they counting... but since they made that announcement about new engine tech in April 2014 I believe, they updated 1.0l, 1.5l, then 2.0t and 5.0l V8. larger 4cly engines were not touched yet, as well as hybrids (Prius is coming) and V6's where we have announcement but not the numbers. About the time to update diesels as well.
Thanks! So potentially room for quite a few more updates across the line. I too wonder if Toyota will update the other truck motors before they are due for redesign such as the 4runner, tundra, LC etc...
Old 02-13-15, 04:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Thanks! So potentially room for quite a few more updates across the line. I too wonder if Toyota will update the other truck motors before they are due for redesign such as the 4runner, tundra, LC etc...
who knows really... i am thinking they might for some cars to make them more attractive, but for ones that might have 1 year left before redesign? I doubt it.

In any case, seems like first V6's are coming in fall. They might not have the capacity to update complete lineup right away too. Like some Japanese cars got new engines and some did not...
Old 02-22-15, 06:46 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default We’re Trying to Make Sense of the Lexus LX 570

While sales of body-on-frame SUVs have dropped off over the last several years, for those who need a vehicle that is capable of more than a little soft roading, car-based crossovers like the RAV4 are probably never going to fully replace a true four-wheel drive vehicle. For those buyers, Toyota offers its Land Cruiser. Known for its durability, reliability, and incredible off-road capability, the Toyota Land Cruiser has built quite a following for itself all over the world. For buyers who want their Land Cruiser with an extra dash of luxury and prestige, however, Lexus offers their version, the LX 570.

On the one hand, selling a Lexus version of the Land Cruiser makes a lot of sense. All of the equipment and quality control that goes into making the Land Cruiser so durable and capable costs a lot of money, pushing the base price of the Toyota up to just over $80,000. If someone is going to be dropping that kind of money on a vehicle, they’re much more likely to spend it on a Lexus than a Toyota. On the other hand, does it ever make sense to use a $90,000 Lexus off-road?

In search of answers, I spent a week with one to find out.

Lexus couldn’t get away with just slapping a different badge on the Land Cruiser, so that meant giving it a Lexus styling treatment. In addition to more chrome, it should come as no surprise that they grafted on a spindle grille as well. I don’t think that it looks quite as natural as it would have if the LX 570 had been designed by Lexus from the ground up, but it does work. In fact, I think the look grew on me. It gave the car more presence on the road than the fairly anonymous Land Cruiser, which felt appropriate considering the price bracket.

Inside, nearly everything was covered in leather, which shouldn’t be terribly surprising in a car that would cost you more than my parents paid for their first house. If you’re a take-it-or-leave-it kind of person when it comes to car leather, it’s probably because you’ve been sitting on low-end leather. This leather was definitely not low-end, and it felt wonderful. My only complaint as far as the interior went was that the dash layout felt a little outdated. It was something that I could look past, but then again, I hadn’t also just spent my own hard-earned money on buying one.

If you do spend your own hard-earned money on buying one, however, you’ll definitely get a lot of features. Name a luxury car feature, and it’s probably available on the LX 570. If you don’t regularly carry seven passengers, the third row can be folded up with the touch of a button, making loading the back much easier. If you have kids, they’ll especially enjoy the second row TV screens on long trips.

If you do take the LX 570 on long road trips, you better hope that gas prices stay under $2 a gallon, since the gas mileage was far from Prius-like. I think I averaged just under 14 miles per gallon, and around town it was probably closer to 10. It had a lot more power than a Prius though, making 383 horsepower and 403 pound-feet of torque out of its 5.7 liter V8. With 6,000 pounds of vehicle to haul, the engine had a lot of work to do, but it felt well-suited to the job.

With the pedal to the floor, the engine sounded great, but cruising along, there really wasn’t much other noise that made its way into the cabin. It handled corners like a full-size truck, but when the road wasn’t too curvy, the ride was amazingly comfortable and quiet. While it wasn’t necessarily engaging to drive, it was certainly enjoyable. I might not have expected to, but I actually really enjoyed driving it.

Looking at it on paper, the Lexus LX 570 is a difficult vehicle to understand. It’s even more expensive than a Lexus LS, it’s incredibly heavy, it gets terrible gas mileage, and it comes packed with off-road ability that would be hard to justify taking advantage of in such a nice car. It’s also in a narrow segment that’s dominated by Range Rover, a vehicle with much more caché.

Behind the wheel though, it’s easy to forget that it doesn’t make sense. You just enjoy being in it. Maybe you wanted that Lexus LS but live in an area where snow and ice close down certain roads in the winter. Maybe you have a lot of property and want your car to be able to drive across it. Maybe you have a boat that you need to tow to your lake house. Maybe you’d like a Range Rover, but prefer a vehicle that you can depend on to be reliable day in and day out. If so, then maybe the Lexus LX 570 is for you.

It may be a vehicle with a very niche appeal, and it may not sell in huge numbers every year, but there’s a lot to be said for a car that doesn’t try to appeal to everybody. And hey, if you really did buy one and take it off-road, how awesome would that be?

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/automobi...tml/?a=viewall
Old 02-22-15, 06:48 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2015 Lexus LX 570: Big vehicle that's huge on style

Lexus LX 570

Rating: 4 Stars out of 5

Large, luxury SUVs like the Lexus LX 570 lost a little bit of their luster a few years ago when the economy soured and gas prices rose.

Now, though, the economy is better and gas prices are much lower. So could the big SUV make a comeback? Whatever happens, we hope that people remain mindful of the facts that gas prices will rise again, and we still need to do as much as we can to cut our dependency on fossil fuels.

But, if you're going to live large, the LX 570 is not a bad choice.

Last year, this eight-passenger vehicle took on some new styling up front.

For this year, everything else holds steady, and that's good, because this big machine is sweet.

On the outside, high intensity headlights, 20-inch aluminum alloy wheels, a rear spoiler and heated, folding power side mirrors with turn signals are standard.

The LX's power plant is a 5.7-liter V-8 engine that makes 383 horsepower and is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. The LX can tow up to 7,000 pounds and has full-time all-wheel drive standard.

Fuel economy is nothing to write home about, at 12 mpg city, 17 highway. But this is a very large vehicle.

For safety, all the features you might expect are included, such as antilock brakes, side airbags for all three rows of seats and active front head restraints. An emergency communication system is optional, and it comes with a one-year trial subscription.

On the inside, the LX really shines. It has beautiful wood trim to complement its leather upholstery. The second-row seats recline, and third-row seats are power folding. A dual screen rear entertainment system and a heated steering wheel are among the other niceties that can be had.

The ride is buttery smooth, and with its high seating position, driver and passengers hardly feel a thing in the way of road turbulence.

The LX starts at around $83,000 and ranges to nearly $90,000, so it's not for the faint of wallet.

But if you're looking for a huge vehicle that is big on style and luxury, the LX is a great choice.
http://www.examiner.com/review/2015-...-huge-on-style
Old 02-22-15, 06:51 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2015 Lexus LX 570 review notes

LEXUS’ OLD SCHOOL BIG LUXURY SUV

ROAD TEST EDITOR JONATHAN WONG: The last time the Lexus LX 570 had a major overhaul was for the 2008 model year. Since then it’s only had a facelift for 2013 when it received the company’s spindle grille, new bumpers, front and rear lights and wheel designs. Now we’re into the 2015 model year and this big luxury barge is definitely feeling long in tooth.

That’s not to say it’s not nice inside of the LX. There are a lot of soft leathers covering the seats, armrests and door inserts. With the cold temperatures we’ve been having, I thoroughly enjoyed the heated seats and heated steering wheel. My second row passengers were also digging their heated seats. For families, there’s a rear DVD entertainment system with dual screens and the third-row is rather spacious.

However, 8 years is a long run for a vehicle and some little details do feel dated. The blocky design of the interior, the old-school digital clock and the older center touchscreen graphics are some small clues that this LX originated a little bit ago. From a practicality standpoint, I would prefer to have a fold-flat third-row of seats instead the ones in there now that just fold down and then up to the side which hampers cargo space in the rear some.

The ride quality definitely still feels truckier, which isn’t a surprise because of the LX’s full-frame underpinnings. It’s not harsh by any means especially with the suspension set to comfort setting, but it’s a little bouncier compared to fresher competition like the Cadillac Escalade. The strange thing is that in past drives of the LX 570, I thought it felt way too floaty but this time the big body felt much better controlled.

Steering requires light effort and response to inputs is fine for a vehicle of this size. Brakes are stout and get things down in a quick, confident manner.

I have no complaints about the 5.7-liter V8. It’s powerful and easily gets the LX going down the road swiftly and it’s a smooth operator. Shifts from the six-speed transmission are also slick.

I still like the LX 570, though. I’ve always had a thing for Toyota trucks, but after driving the new Escalade I would be going with that as my pick in the huge luxury SUV class. An Escalade ESV Premium with four-wheel drive starts at $88,065, which is below this Lexus’ as-tested price.

Having 90 percent of peak torque available at just 2,200 rpm not only makes the LX 570 an exceptional vehicle for towing, but also makes it a pleasure to pilot in everyday driving.

SENIOR ROAD TEST EDITOR NATALIE NEFF: If this is long in the tooth, I guess I prefer my Lexus family of products older. Fact is, if Lexus had updated the LX 570 in the last couple of years, we’d likely be stuck with that abomination of a mouse-joystick-whatever it calls a the Remote Touch interface. God, I hate that thing. Seriously, there’s nothing in the rest of the automotive landscape that causes me to cringe more than having to use one of them, and if the LX had that, this would be a far different review.

As it is, I’m quite fond of this big truck. The interior is comfortable and luxurious in a not-too-blingy sort of way. The Cadillac Escalade, the LX’s natural competitor, is a much better vehicle in many ways, as the Wonger points out, but has always leaned more look-at-me than the Lexus. The LX feels almost old money, not quite Range Rover in overall effect, but at least in the ballpark. The controls are nicely organized, and I like the old-school toggles controlling drive wheels, suspension settings, etc., lined up across the center console.

Steering is definitely on the light side, and for a vehicle weighing in at three tons, I’m appreciative of that fact. Combined with the engine’s silky V8 power, the combo goes a long way to making the LX feel, dare I say, light on its feet. You will, however, feel all that heft should you try and hustle the truck with anything more than lightly spirited maneuvers; thankfully, the LX doesn’t encourage that sort of behavior. Rather, its stately demeanor has a calming effect, and more than once I was impressed to glance down and find I was clipping along at the speed limit and not chomping at the bit to go any faster.

Still, that sticker does give me pause. Given that a similarly equipped four-wheel-drive Escalade ESV Premium doesn’t break $89,000, as the Wonger points out, the argument to opt for something like this is almost moot. Then again, Lexus doesn’t sell 5,000 of them a year and almost any automaker can find that many people to buy whatever is concocted, so I’m sure the mother ship isn’t fretting too much over the issue.

It’ll definitely be interesting to see what Lexus does when it comes time to rethink the LX.

It’s an ultra-smooth riding and quiet family vehicle, but one that can go places that crossovers cannot.

Options: Mark Levinson audio system including 19-inch speaker surround sound audio system, DVD audio, DVD playback ($2,350); dual-screen DVD rear-seat entertainment system with wireless headphones, audio/video inputs ($2,005); luxury package including semi-aniline leather trimmed interior with contrast stitching, heated/ventilated front seats with second row heated seats, heated steering wheel, center consol mounted cool box, smart access card key, wood trimmed door switch plates/ rear center armrest cover ($1,510); intuitive park assist with wide-view front and side monitor camera system ($1,000)
http://autoweek.com/article/car-revi...0-review-notes
Old 02-22-15, 08:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The LX needs an interior update.
Old 03-13-15, 04:08 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Updated LX and LC200 are scheduled to go into production in August. Looking forward to seeing what they do to the interior especially. I really like the current LX exterior, hope they don't go crazy spindle.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 03-13-15 at 04:18 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New interior colors for the Lexus LX and Land Cruiser