Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New interior colors for the Lexus LX and Land Cruiser

Old 02-07-15, 09:32 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Updated Lexus LX Coming This Year?

Hans Greimel from the Automotive News has further details on what we might see from Lexus in 2015:

For its next big leap, Lexus will do as the Germans do: Expand the lineup with more iterations of existing nameplates, including hybrids, sporty trims and high-performance variants.

This year, as many as nine updates will debut, including the GS F performance edition of the GS sedan, unveiled at the Detroit auto show. That will be followed by a redesign of the brand’s No. 1 nameplate, the RX crossover, and midcycle changes for the GS and ES sedans and LX SUV.
Lexus also will deploy its turbocharged 2.0-liter engine to other nameplates beyond the NX compact crossover, which last year was the first Lexus to get a turbo powerplant.

No big surprise with the GS, ES, and RX, but Lexus updating the LX is something new — while the LX exterior could use some minor tweaks, it’s the interior of the flagship SUV that needs the real attention.

There’s an interesting angle on the LX as well — according to a 2013 report from the Nikkei Japanese newspaper, the plan was for Toyota to release a hybrid Land Cruiser this year. Could a hybrid LX be in the works for the 2016 model year?
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/02/0...ing-this-year/
Old 02-08-15, 05:37 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

This has been expected of course. However, reading some of the comments there, I find it quite stupid that one wants to champion the 200-Series LX going longer than a 10-year life cycle. It's not a Gelandewagen in the least nor a Defender 110. I would say, that the trademarked LX450d is something of interest and also the alleged plans for a Japanese LX introduction in mid-2015. I haven't heard of a hybrid LX, as LX450h wouldn't be great idea nor recycling the LS600h power plant.

On another note, I don't really believe this is even a full redesign like some of you have suggested per dealer conference. The Land Cruiser was barely undergoing 1:1 design proposal selection last April, that would be for a full model change 2-3 years out, not merely 1 year. No prototypes of either the 200-Series Land Cruiser successor nor LX give me that impression.

Even if Toyota hides things, that is one model that will be tested well in advance anyway of launch (not 2 months). The current Land Cruiser was leaked undisguised while testing in the Middle East in 2006, 14 months before launch in 2007. We have already seen Prado mules testing, so does that mean a GX redesign before LX?

I really wish people (mostly journalists) would analyze and piece the entire puzzle together, before throwing out useless drivel.
Old 02-08-15, 05:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
This has been expected of course. However, reading some of the comments there, I find it quite stupid that one wants to champion the 200-Series LX going longer than a 10-year life cycle. It's not a Gelandewagen in the least nor a Defender 110. I would say, that the trademarked LX450d is something of interest and also the alleged plans for a Japanese LX introduction in mid-2015. I haven't heard of a hybrid LX, as LX450h wouldn't be great idea nor recycling the LS600h power plant.

On another note, I don't really believe this is even a full redesign like some of you have suggested per dealer conference. The Land Cruiser was barely undergoing 1:1 design proposal selection last April, that would be for a full model change 2-3 years out, not merely 1 year. No prototypes of either the 200-Series Land Cruiser successor nor LX give me that impression.

Even if Toyota hides things, that is one model that will be tested well in advance anyway of launch (not 2 months). The current Land Cruiser was leaked undisguised while testing in the Middle East in 2006, 14 months before launch in 2007. We have already seen Prado mules testing, so does that mean a GX redesign before LX?

I really wish people (mostly journalists) would analyze and piece the entire puzzle together, before throwing out useless drivel.
so is it minor or major? :-)

Even if it is MMC, with new engines, we should have seen it testing around the world. So it is "really" minor, or they simply hid them well enough.
Old 02-08-15, 06:37 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by spwolf
so is it minor or major? :-)

Even if it is MMC, with new engines, we should have seen it testing around the world. So it is "really" minor, or they simply hid them well enough.
You are right, we should have seen them by now. I realised as I typed my previous comment, that it's not so much just seeing prototypes, but even the April 2014 Land Cruiser design clinic negates anything concerning a redesign.

From what UZJ described and some other people have confirmed as well, the 3 full-scale design proposals were shown in a marketing research clinic. At that stage, they are merely testing differing proposals with current owners, which is done nearly 3 years in advance of production and many months prior to final design sign-off. The current Land Cruiser reached that point by late 2004, launching in November 2007.

If this was a clinic that showcased 1 Land Cruiser proposal, a Range Rover, GL, and a Nissan Patrol, then I would believe that is the finalised article being compared amongst competitors. Whatever they were doing, concerns a new model due no earlier than late 2016 and this LX update may be unrelated to that. A facelift for such a large vehicle, will be signed off 15-18 months ahead of launch and add 3-6 months ahead of that for styling approval. The QX80 facelift was designed back in 2012, so that gives one an idea.
Old 02-08-15, 06:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

You are right, we should have seen them by now. I realised as I typed my previous comment, that it's not so much just seeing prototypes, but even the April 2014 Land Cruiser design clinic negates anything concerning a redesign.

From what UZJ described and some other people have confirmed as well, the 3 full-scale design proposals were shown in a marketing research clinic. At that stage, they are merely testing differing proposals with current owners, which is done nearly 3 years in advance of production and many months prior to final design sign-off. The current Land Cruiser reached that point by late 2004, launching in November 2007.

If this was a clinic that showcased 1 Land Cruiser proposal, a Range Rover, GL, and a Nissan Patrol, then I would believe that is the finalised article being compared amongst competitors. Whatever they were doing, concerns a new model due no earlier than late 2016 and this LX update may be unrelated to that. A facelift for such a large vehicle, will be signed off 15-18 months ahead of launch and add 3-6 months ahead of that for styling approval. The QX80 facelift was designed back in 2012, so that gives one an idea.

yeah, i dont really see the need for minor update, but quite possibly it could be really minor with additions of tech and interior options/colors... And of course, they could have always tested changes on current LX/LC, without any camo.... i am sure any engine changes would have fit same engine bay.
Old 02-08-15, 07:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

On another note, I don't really believe this is even a full redesign like some of you have suggested per dealer conference.
I don't think the current LC/LX need redesigns, they need new interiors (LX needs it more) and changes and tweaks to the powertrain. I think the size is just right for these vehicles.
Old 02-08-15, 11:13 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

yeah, i dont really see the need for minor update, but quite possibly it could be really minor with additions of tech and interior options/colors... And of course, they could have always tested changes on current LX/LC, without any camo.... i am sure any engine changes would have fit same engine bay.
I think the only reason I wanted this, is so that they stuck to the traditional timetable life-cycle of 9 years and only did a minor "swan song" refresh. I would hate for this "new LX" to merely be a redone dashboard, cleverly re-skinned front and rear fascia, a few new tech additions, power train changes, and last for another 4-6 years for ROI. Judging by insider commentary, it sounds quite as such.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't think the current LC/LX need redesigns, they need new interiors (LX needs it more) and changes and tweaks to the powertrain. I think the size is just right for these vehicles.
I wasn't clear and concise on my point, as it's not that I'm so desperate for a redesign now, It's better to have a minor update this year and redesign by early 2018. Than doing a major change as a prolonging stop-gap, and then keeping it for many years to come (which I do not agree with). Something is getting a redesign on the Toyota LC end (based on where they're at), as these LX changes as suggested would've been planned on the heels of the last facelift for MY2013 and then approved nearly a year ago for mid-late 2015.
Old 02-10-15, 08:48 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very well hidden test mule?
Attached Thumbnails New interior colors for the Lexus LX and Land Cruiser-b9pqzg3ceaampcu.jpg   New interior colors for the Lexus LX and Land Cruiser-b9pqzgscqai04ce.jpg  
Old 02-10-15, 12:34 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
very well hidden test mule?
Looks like pre-face lift with the new headlights.
Old 02-10-15, 12:55 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
Looks like pre-face lift with the new headlights.
It is a mix of the pre-facelift and post facelift LX with LC200 wheels. No rear mud flaps as well and it looks like it has seen some rough testing. I am almost certain this is a test mule.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 02-10-15 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-10-15, 01:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

It is a mix of the pre-facelift and post facelift LX with LC200 wheels. No rear mud flaps as well and it looks like it has seen some rough testing. I am almost certain this is a test mule.
yup, taillights are new too. does seems like it went through quite some testing
Old 02-10-15, 02:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

according to interview with Lexus AU, this update will bring diesel engine from LC200 to some countries at least... not info about if engine will be updated, just the line that "if diesel becomes available we would love to have it", together with LX450d name trademark.... no word on hybrid so thats not happening.
Old 02-10-15, 02:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

quite likely new engine tech for V8 as well, that makes sense.
Old 02-10-15, 02:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

quite likely new engine tech for V8 as well, that makes sense.
I highly doubt the 5.7 will change all that much. We are talking about an SUV with 383hp, the cost is $90k and the ownership loyalty is the strongest in the segment. Perhaps DI or more transmission speeds, but the 5.7 will carry on.
Old 02-10-15, 04:12 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These look like standard LX570 wheels in China. I'm not good at it but if words on the side of the flatbed truck are Chinese that might be just a pre-facelift vehicle modded by the owner. I do get you can disguise a mule by outfitting old body parts but for god's sake why the old mirrors?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New interior colors for the Lexus LX and Land Cruiser