Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New interior colors for the Lexus LX and Land Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 09:16 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-24-14, 10:31 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the LC's interior is a good bit nicer than the Navigator or new Tahoe, but not quite as nice as the new Escalade. I personally highly dislike the column shifter that GM uses though - very cheap feeling, IMO.

Old 02-24-14, 10:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I like the dark color of those seats
Old 02-24-14, 11:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes, a lot of the LC buyers in the US are purely getting the car because of its history and legacy. i know quite a few who just get the LC after LC "just because it is THE car". definitely i agree with the comment about the LC and its price point make it a "weird" car in the US market.
Old 02-24-14, 11:48 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

UZJ, I know you said the Land Cruiser(60, 80, 100, 200), Land Cruiser J70, Prado, and Nissan Patrol pretty much rule the middle east market for midsize/big SUV's.

What about cars from other Japanese manufacturers that are kind of known to be "to hell and back" simple 4x4's?

Are things like the following popular in the middle east?

Isuzu Trooper
Isuzu Rodeo/Wizard
Suzuki Samurai/Jimny
Mitsubishi Montero/Shogun/Pajero
Mitsubishi Challenger/Montero Sport/Shogun Sport/Pajero Sport

Also, did they ever sell something called the Toyota 4Runner in the middle east??? Its hugely popular here in North America, its an SUV body on a Toyota Tacoma(or as you know it a Hi-Lux pickup) chassis. Slightly smaller than a Land Cruiser Prado, but still a pretty sturdy, body on frame, off road machine.
Old 02-25-14, 01:02 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

All you people whining about the Land Cruiser and why Toyota still sells it. Last I checked, nobody is holding a gun to your head to buy one.

It's here because it's the oldest car in the US lineup, practically the first, and one of the most iconic. It's essentially their halo vehicle, and the 200 or so they sell is just extra money, since the car is global powerhouse in sales. The name's reputation is legendary and those that do buy will not buy anything else, no matter how much nicer the LX is.

They aren't going to discontinue it.
Old 02-25-14, 03:45 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
UZJ, I know you said the Land Cruiser(60, 80, 100, 200), Land Cruiser J70, Prado, and Nissan Patrol pretty much rule the middle east market for midsize/big SUV's.

What about cars from other Japanese manufacturers that are kind of known to be "to hell and back" simple 4x4's?

Are things like the following popular in the middle east?

Isuzu Trooper
Isuzu Rodeo/Wizard
Suzuki Samurai/Jimny
Mitsubishi Montero/Shogun/Pajero
Mitsubishi Challenger/Montero Sport/Shogun Sport/Pajero Sport

Also, did they ever sell something called the Toyota 4Runner in the middle east??? Its hugely popular here in North America, its an SUV body on a Toyota Tacoma(or as you know it a Hi-Lux pickup) chassis. Slightly smaller than a Land Cruiser Prado, but still a pretty sturdy, body on frame, off road machine.
I remember seeing quite a few Isuzu troopers on the road back in the late 90s.
I don't think we ever got the Rodeo, don't remember seeing any.
As for the Suzuki Samurai it was very popular back in the day and you still get many people who collect them . The new ones (Jimny ) is loved by the locals! Not too common but they do have a fan base
The Pajero is common on the roads, it is reasonably priced and the V6 engine offered is cheaper than even the 4Cyl Prado! I see a few Pajero Sports as well.
We used to get the 4Runner back in the early 90s, we don't anymore. We get the Fortuner though which is a common sight.

I forgot to mention, American SUVS have a strong prescence in the GCC market and are a strong second after the Japanese.
1 - Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban
2 - Sierra/Silverado
3- Ford Expedition/F150
4- Explorer
5 -Acadia
6 - Dodge Ram

Navigators are pretty much non exsistant though.... We also don't get the Tundra but many people import it from the US and even though it is not sold officially i see it on the roads more than i see the Dodge Ram.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 02-25-14 at 03:50 AM.
Old 11-29-14, 10:29 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default KBB Impressed by 2015 Toyota Land Cruiser Overall

Were you to pay the $80,000+ asking price for the 2015 Toyota Land Cruiser, would it not bother you that it comes with fake wood that looks like it came off a 1999 Peugeot? What about its poor efficiency or mediocre loading capacity?

These aspects and more were highlighted by KBB in their latest review, which puts the big Toyota to the test on- and off-road.

Even so, it’s still as capable as you’ve come to know it is, and it comes pack with gadgets and features. The interior quality may not be all that great, and certainly nowhere near that of a similarly-priced (base) Range Rover, but at least it comes with a modern touchscreen infotainment unit.

It’s really the engine and sheer bulk that let it down in this day and age. The 5.7-liter unit may be potent, but it’s also very eager to empty the tank – it only manages 13 mpg US in the city. While most Americans probably won't agree, this kind of vehicle should only be available as a diesel, no matter where you buy it...

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/11/kbb...yota-land.html
Old 11-29-14, 09:59 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
The interior quality may not be all that great, and certainly nowhere near that of a similarly-priced (base) Range Rover, but at least it comes with a modern touchscreen infotainment unit.
How much do they think a Range Rover is going to cost with the same reliability as a Land Cruiser? Reliability does not come for free. It takes deliberate engineering, testing and costs a lot of money.

Why not reverse the question and ask why a similarly priced Range Rover can't be properly designed and engineered to be as reliable as a Land Cruiser?
Old 11-30-14, 10:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
How much do they think a Range Rover is going to cost with the same reliability as a Land Cruiser? Reliability does not come for free. It takes deliberate engineering, testing and costs a lot of money.

Why not reverse the question and ask why a similarly priced Range Rover can't be properly designed and engineered to be as reliable as a Land Cruiser?
its blurb from Carscoops, not Vh_supra or KBB.

KBB liked the car, which you would not realize from the Carsscoops article. All of their articles are very anti-toyota always.
Old 11-30-14, 10:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro

Are you seriously trying to tell us that at $80,000 a Land Cruiser is more appealing than a Range Rover?!?

They sell a lot of Range Rovers and almost no Land Cruisers, so obviously that's not a popular viewpoint lol.

I don't care how reliable it is, I would never buy a Land Cruiser over a Range Rover, I'd be hard pressed to do so with an LX either. If all I cared about was reliability I'd buy a 4Runner or something.

And before you say it, I don't live in Saudi Arabia or Africa, or the North Pole, so how the cars behave there means nothing to me lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-30-14 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-30-14, 04:37 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love how the newer RRs look, but I'd never buy one. Resale and reliability are too valuable to me
Old 11-30-14, 04:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I wouldn't buy one, but I'd lease one.
Old 11-30-14, 05:05 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Love how the newer RRs look, but I'd never buy one. Resale and reliability are too valuable to me
The way they look while at the same time consistently ranking at the bottom of reliability ratings makes you wonder whether great exterior/interior designers are the only ones who still work at RR ;-)
Old 11-30-14, 05:23 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
its blurb from Carscoops, not Vh_supra or KBB.

KBB liked the car, which you would not realize from the Carsscoops article. All of their articles are very anti-toyota always.
I get that. I just find it totally absurd that reviews such as that completely miss on the other aspects of car engineering, especially an SUV, and assume that the nicest interior is all people should care about. Like when you're broken down during the mountain ski trip it's nice to be stuck in a better interior? ;-)

LX 570 went through 240,000 kilometers of durability testing across different conditions so anyone can tell Lexus really invests in these things. Not sure what did RR do but my guess is not much considering how abysmal their results on that front are. The only way they could to 240,000 KM is on a flat bed towed by a Toyota ;-)

Quick Reply: New interior colors for the Lexus LX and Land Cruiser