Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Keyless remote programming

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 05:12 PM
alphanumer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is having problems following these steps, i have a 97 es300 and it took me about 25 tries to get mine to work. for the step that requires you to hold the lock bottom for a second i had to hold the lock and panic button at the same time for that one step and it finally worked
Old 02-19-10, 02:12 PM
Finnegan
Driver School Candidate

Default CORRECT Programming Instructions for 2002 ES300

The wrong programming instructions are all over the internet for the 2002 ES300. These are the correct door/trunk programming instructions for a master remote:

1. Close and lock all doors. Manually unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key in ignition (do not turn) and remove two times.
3. Close and open drivers door two times.
4. Put key in ignition (do not turn) and remove.
5. Close an dopen drivers door two times.
6. Put key in ignition and close drivers door.
7. Turn ignition to On then Off one time.
8. Remove key from ignition. Door locks will cycle one time. On new remote press and hold lock and unlock for 2 seconds. On new remote press lock for one second.
9. Locks should cycle by themselves one time if you did this correctly and two times if you did it incorrectly.
10. Open and close drivers door. Put key in idnition and pull out to close programming mode.

This defintely works on a 2002 ES300. May or may not work on other years/models.
Old 08-18-10, 03:20 PM
caseylab
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I recently purchased a new key/remote for my '06 RX400h. Had it cut and the key itself programmed fine, so I can start the engine with it. But I cannot get the remote to work. I went to a locksmith who had the programming device and instructions, but we could not get it to work at all. I know there is a limit on the number of remotes that can be programmed, so I suspect that could be the problem. I bought the car used and only got one remote, so I'd like to have a second. Does anybody know of a way around that limit, or have any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Old 09-06-10, 03:09 PM
mooseboy84
Rookie

Originally Posted by bibbens
Paries, try this slightly different programming method. The one described earlier in this thread didn't work for me either a few months ago, but this one did:

Sit in the driver's seat and lock all the doors.

Unlock and open the driver's door.

Insert the key into the ignition and remove it (don't turn it...just remove it).

Using the MANUAL lock switch on the driver's door, lock and unlock the door 5 times.

Close the door.

Open the door.

Lock and unlock the driver's door 5 times (I'm almost certain you use the MANUAL lock switch again, but if this sequence fails to work, try again with the power switch).

Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the "ON" position.

Remove the key.

The driver's door will now lock and unlock itself one time.

Press and hold the "LOCK" button on the key fob for at least 1 second.

Close the driver's door.

Open the driver's door.

Press and hold the "LOCK" button on the key fob for at least one second.

Close the driver's door.

Press and hold the "LOCK" button on the key fob. The door will lock.

Press and hold the "LOCK" button on the key fob again. The door will unlock.

You should be all set.

Subtle differences, but I remember having trouble initially programming a remote as well ('98). And I sympathize with the feeling like an idiot thing. My wife thought I was a loon. But this sequence worked. Honest. Good luck.
Dont mean to revive the dead, but I just would like to add that these instructions worked for my 96 ES300 with the fcc id HYQWDT-B. I bought an extra key off ebay so I could use the unlock/lock feature. I just stuck my laser cut copy of the original in the ignition [since its only one that will work] when needed.

The only little thing I can add, is when you turn the key to "on" just leave it on until it stops binging for that 5 secs or so while door is open. But yea, these instructions worked great, no more having to unlock door with key when carrying something!
Old 09-10-10, 05:18 PM
Dave996
Driver School Candidate

Default Instructions for Programming a 2003 Lexus RX300 Remote Key

I just bought a 2003 RX300 replacement key (complete unit...not just a shell) from SpareCarKeys.com. It cost me $144.36 including shipping. I sent them the key code which was on my emergency key, so the key was cut for the lock when I got it. To program it I used the instructions below which came with the key. Everything worked fine. I wordsmithed the instructions just a little to make them more clear.

1999 — 2003 Lexus RX300
Remote Key Programming Instructions
Programming Lexus Remote Keys are accomplished in two phases. First you must program the key’s transponder immobilizer system before the remote is programmed. You must have a working master key to do these programming tasks. The way you can tell if you have a valid master key is to observe the flashing immobilizer (Security) light on your dash when you insert your already programmed key or remote. If the immobilizer light goes out immediately, then you have a valid master key, however if the immobilizer light remains lit for a few seconds, this indicates that the key is a valet key and this key cannot be used to program new remotes. This procedure in the industry is called on-board- programming or OBP. The OBP means you can do the programming without the use of an expensive electronic scan tool.
Listed below is the procedure to be successful in programming new remotes into your RX300.

PHASE I
Programming the transponder immobilizer function. (Note: this task must be done before Phase 2).
1. Insert the existing master key into the ignition. (Note: The immobilizer light should go out immediately).
2. Within fifteen seconds, depress and release the accelerator (gas) pedal five times.
3. Within twenty seconds, depress and release the brake pedal six times, and remove the master key from the ignition.
4. Within ten seconds insert the new key into the ignition. (Note: The immobilizer light should remain non-lit at this time).
5. Within ten seconds, depress and release the accelerator (gas) pedal one time and observe the immobilizer light will start to flash a few seconds after depressing the accelerator (gas) pedal.
6. After about eighty seconds (80), the new key is registered and the immobilizer light will stop flashing and go off.
7. Remove the new key from the ignition and simultaneously depress and release the brake and accelerator (gas) pedals one time to close the immobilizer onboard programming procedure.
8. Wait ten seconds, then insert the new key into the ignition and if the programming procedure was properly done, the vehicle should start when the ignition is turned to the start position.
9. Proceed to Phase II, once the new key starts your car.
PHASE 2
1. Remove the key from the ignition switch. Open the driver’s door and make sure that it is unlocked. Make sure that all other doors are closed.
2. Insert the key into the ignition switch, and then remove it.
3. On the driver’s door, Press the LOCK button for one second, then press the UNLOCK button for one second. Do this for a total of five times (i.e. lock/unlock, lock/unlock).
4. Close and re-open the driver’s door
5. On the driver’s door, press the LOCK button for one second, then press the UNLOCK button for one second. Do this for a total of five times.
6. Insert the key into the ignition switch.
7. Switch the ignition ON for one second, then OFF.
8. Remove the key from the ignition switch. The car’s system should now lock and unlock the vehicle once.
9. Press and hold the remote transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons together for one and one half seconds.
10. Quickly press the UNLOCK button on the remote transmitter for a minimum of two seconds. The car’s system should now lock and unlock the vehicle once to confirm registration, twice will indicate registration has failed.
11. If required, repeat button procedure to program remaining key remote transmitters.
12. To exit programming mode, Close driver door, or insert the key into the ignition.
***NOTE: A maximum of 4 remote transmitters can be programmed.

Last edited by Dave996; 09-10-10 at 05:28 PM. Reason: improve title
Old 09-11-10, 11:21 AM
ClearP
Lead Lap

This saves me some money! Thanks!
Old 06-14-12, 07:14 PM
Shyheim
Driver School Candidate

Default 1996 es300 used key sync /help please

Ok here is the problem I brought a key from eBay =hyq1512a
I can get to the part where the car cycle one time or witch ever setting I'm trying to do like turn key one time for add two for another and so on but when I get to the part with the key and press unlock it won't cycle or nothing else happens I have the book and it says that this is the same FCC Id can anyone help me please !!!
Old 11-29-12, 06:35 AM
presas4846
Driver School Candidate

Post Remote Key program instrucctions LX470 2000

Hi friends i bought two aditionals Keys for my Lx470 2000. and i ready program the transponder chip on the key. start the vehicle. but i cant program the remote control to open the doors. how can i do this please help me!! thanks for all....
Old 01-30-13, 08:20 AM
lexuspcl88
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Lexus GS 300

Originally Posted by Nixsun79
You can program it yourself. Here are the instructions:

1. Driver's door open and unlocked, all other doors closed and locked.
2. Insert YOUR key in ignition, DO NOT TURN, remove key.
3. Using the lock/unlock button ON THE DRIVERS DOOR, slowly press lock and unlock 5 times (count the lock 5 times and unlock 5 times).
4. Shut door.
5. Open door.
6. Using the lock/unlock button ON THE DRIVERS DOOR, slowly press lock and unlock 5 times (count the lock 5 times and unlock 5 times).
7. With the door open insert your key into the ignition, turn to on position (DON'T START), wait 5 seconds. Turn off and remove key.
8. Locks should cycle once (Car will lock and then unlock once). If they don't cycle or they cycle more than once, do steps 1-7 over.
9. Now using the remote, push lock button, hold for one second, release. The locks should cycle once. If not, start over and go slower.
10. Close the door. Open the door. Press the lock button on the remote. The locks should cycle. Close the door. Press the lock button on the remote, the doors should lock. Press again and the doors should unlock.

Congratulations - You are done!
I see Yiu own a GS 300. I have a GS 300. Yer 2006 like u,
I need a transmitter key for it.
Any suggestion or help ?
Lexuspcl88
Old 01-30-13, 11:58 AM
lexuspcl88
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Lexus GS 300 year 2006

Originally Posted by Nixsun79
You can program it yourself. Here are the instructions:

1. Driver's door open and unlocked, all other doors closed and locked.
2. Insert YOUR key in ignition, DO NOT TURN, remove key.
3. Using the lock/unlock button ON THE DRIVERS DOOR, slowly press lock and unlock 5 times (count the lock 5 times and unlock 5 times).
4. Shut door.
5. Open door.
6. Using the lock/unlock button ON THE DRIVERS DOOR, slowly press lock and unlock 5 times (count the lock 5 times and unlock 5 times).
7. With the door open insert your key into the ignition, turn to on position (DON'T START), wait 5 seconds. Turn off and remove key.
8. Locks should cycle once (Car will lock and then unlock once). If they don't cycle or they cycle more than once, do steps 1-7 over.
9. Now using the remote, push lock button, hold for one second, release. The locks should cycle once. If not, start over and go slower.
10. Close the door. Open the door. Press the lock button on the remote. The locks should cycle. Close the door. Press the lock button on the remote, the doors should lock. Press again and the doors should unlock.

Congratulations - You are done!
You seem quite knowledgeable about Lexus cars and keys etc.
I need a transmitter or key for my Lexus GS 300 year2006' like yours .
I bought one a fob in Fll. At Lexus dealership. My tech says it is the wrong key. And cannot programme it, He tried and tried.
The bin or Chasis did not help as it did not come up on the screen in USA,
The car was bought in London USA
I have the code and numbers in the key which I bought, so if u need then no problem.
Our local Toyota dealer cannot help at all as the bin does not show on their scree,
Lexuspcl88
Old 06-25-13, 11:20 AM
ack300
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks!

Thanks Dave996 for the instructions. Took 5 times but better than paying to have it done.

While I was doing it, I did see that it made a difference ( for me at least ) on how long you left the key in the on position after doing both lock/unlock 5x cycles. The vehicle would not respond at all until I did it fairly quickly - on just long enough to let the display light up and then back off - and then I started getting the confirmation tones.

Thanks again! - way better than the $238 the Lexus dealer wanted.
Old 06-25-13, 01:21 PM
ack300
Driver School Candidate

Default Price reference

For reference on the price - got the key on eBay for $75 from keys_star, and had the key cut for $35 at Any Kind of Lock on NASA Road 1 in Houston. They also offered to program it for an additional $35.
Old 09-05-13, 12:21 AM
gpow
Driver School Candidate

Did all these steps on my GS300 98' but every time in programming mode when I press combinations on new key, car locks and unlocks twice saying it is not accepted. Did lots of combinations for like 30 minutes still always locks-unlocks twice not accepting.
Any Ideas? Thanks!
Old 03-29-14, 06:49 PM
raroland
Driver School Candidate

Default 2003 es300

Hey Finnegan,

First, let me say I have no master key just the valet key. Purchased a transmitter and key for around $80 dollars. Followed your directions to a T. Everything works i.e., trunk opens, doors unlock and lock but the car will not start. Weird!!!! Any thoughts on why it will not start?

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-21-14, 11:22 AM
UGsaint
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IOWNALEXUS
I know this is an old thread but just for info. sake i wanted to say that this method worked GREAT on my 97 SC300!!
What about a 2006 RX 300 ? Is there a different procedure?

Quick Reply: Keyless remote programming