Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Condensed Review: 2014 Lincoln MKX.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 09:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I always wonder why people try to derive some type of meaning from these names. There is no secret meaning to X, C, Z, S, or any other Lincoln MK[x] names.
Luxury automakers seem to like letter or letter/number combinations for vehicle names because it is supposed to convey more of an upscale (image). IMO, that's a bunch of typical marketing nonsense. A name is simply a name. The proof of the vehicle is in the pudding.....in and under the sheet metal.
Old 02-24-14, 12:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Lincoln is not the only automaker, BTW, to play the game of alphabet soup...Cadillac uses the same nonsense.
cadillac uses the first letter to designate sedan size it seems. ATS, CTS, XTS - easy to follow. X on the end is for crossover (SRX). escalade kinda doing its own thing (ESV, EXT )

lincoln i can't follow at all and can't be bothered to study it. all the 'm' feels to me like a connection with mercury, its dead brand. why not all L models? that would make more sense because it would connect lincoln and luxury.
Old 02-24-14, 12:55 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lincoln i can't follow at all and can't be bothered to study it. all the 'm' feels to me like a connection with mercury, its dead brand. why not all L models? that would make more sense because it would connect lincoln and luxury.
If you insist on actually trying to take some meaning from it, then here: mk=mark. So Mark X, C, T, etc.
Old 02-24-14, 06:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
cadillac uses the first letter to designate sedan size it seems. ATS, CTS, XTS - easy to follow. X on the end is for crossover (SRX). escalade kinda doing its own thing (ESV, EXT )
Hard to tell if that is in fact what the Cadillac marketers were thinking. But, yes, I'll admit that it is an interesting theory on your part...and may (?) indeed have some validity. And the Escalade, like Lincoln's Navigator, is their only current production vehicle still with a conventional name in addition to its ESV/EXT.