Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Condensed Review: 2014 Lincoln MKX.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-14, 01:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
They're all very similar to the untrained eye yes.

MKC is my favorite thus far
Do you have an MKC at your dealership you could take a shot of? Or did you just find and post that interior image?
Old 02-22-14, 05:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Do you have an MKC at your dealership you could take a shot of? Or did you just find and post that interior image?
That's actually an image TangoRed posted from online. There is a Ford/Lincoln store one exit down from my Automall. If I have time I'll go see if they have an MKC for show/display
Old 02-22-14, 10:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
To my sensibilities, that outsized winged waterfall grill is spectacularly ugly - reason enough alone to avoid this car..
I'm with you. While outlandish grilles are the vogue, some are done right and others are not. This one just looks plain ugly. I keep seeing an anteater's head or Alice the Goon's face from Popeye. Taillights look like they are sad and crying. Really quite frumpy all around. Having said all that, I only see seniors driving these. More modern and mainstream designs would yield higher sales numbers and profits.
Attached Thumbnails MM Condensed Review: 2014 Lincoln MKX.-alicethegoon2.jpg  
Old 02-22-14, 10:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

holy confusing product names, batman.

mkc mkx, mkz - huh?
Old 02-22-14, 11:18 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

mkc mkx, mkz - huh?
haha it's not that bad !

MK is technically for "Mark"

MKC - Escape
MKX - Edge
MKT - Flex
MKZ - Fusion
MKS - Taurus
Navigator - Expedition
Old 02-23-14, 05:20 AM
LexFather

They need to understand they are going to have to penetrate the market with a low MSRP to get people into showrooms. I stopped reading at 41k...

Old 02-23-14, 09:11 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexFather
They need to understand they are going to have to penetrate the market with a low MSRP to get people into showrooms. I stopped reading at 41k...
MKX is a RX competitor though, and anything in that range commands high 40's and up. Granted and we've talked about this, it's the Lincoln nameplate that is hurting the brand more than the product.
Old 02-23-14, 12:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
MKX is a RX competitor though, and anything in that range commands high 40's and up. Granted and we've talked about this, it's the Lincoln nameplate that is hurting the brand more than the product.
Mike has a point, though, that the RX is definitely a better product for the same money (41K). Like it or not, Cadillac, except for the disappointing XTS, is generally doing a better job of competing with Lexus than Lincoln......though the MKC, when it debuts, may (?) open up a whole new possibility.

Mike, if you had finished the review, it would only have supported your opinion even more. This is one issue where you and I seem to agree....Lincoln, up to now, just isn't cutting it. Lincoln has another chance, though, in a few months when the nice MKC debuts.
Old 02-23-14, 01:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

mkc mkx, mkz - huh?
It IS confusing at first. But, after a while, you get used to it, and it becomes easier to remember which is which. Lincoln is not the only automaker, BTW, to play the game of alphabet soup...Cadillac uses the same nonsense.
Old 02-23-14, 01:33 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always thought that MKX stood for Mark Crossover but now I have to assume MKC is Mark Crossover. What is correct? I thought I had these acronyms down finally.
Old 02-23-14, 01:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dc893
I always thought that MKX stood for Mark Crossover but now I have to assume MKC is Mark Crossover. What is correct? I thought I had these acronyms down finally.
Technically, both the MKX and MKT are also crossovers....I don't think the alphabet-soup names have anything to do with that. They are not truck-based like the Lincoln Navigator (and the old Aviator) were. The MKX (as I pointed out in the review) is a rebadged Ford Edge twin, and the slightly larger Ford MKT is derived from the Ford Flex (though not a rebadged twin). Both the Edge and Flex are auto-based, not truck-based, and come from sedan platforms.
Old 02-23-14, 01:38 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Mike has a point, though, that the RX is definitely a better product for the same money (41K). Like it or not, Cadillac, except for the disappointing XTS, is generally doing a better job of competing with Lexus than Lincoln......though the MKC, when it debuts, may (?) open up a whole new possibility.

Mike, if you had finished the review, it would only have supported your opinion even more. This is one issue where you and I seem to agree....Lincoln, up to now, just isn't cutting it. Lincoln has another chance, though, in a few months when the nice MKC debuts.
Unless you're buying used or last years model, you're not getting an RX for 41K without heavy incentives to clear them out. Base FWD is $39,760 no options. A typically equipped RX with AWD, Navi and BSM is $50,XXX.

I'm not arguing the RX isn't a better product (we sell them after all in droves). But I think your pricing is off.

Why are we bringing Cadillac up? We know they're doing a better job against Lexus and the Germans than Lincoln. One might argue the addition of VSport puts F-Sport to shame.
Old 02-23-14, 01:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Unless you're buying used or last years model, you're not getting an RX for 41K without heavy incentives to clear them out. Base FWD is $39,760 no options. A typically equipped RX with AWD, Navi and BSM is $50,XXX.
Well, a base FWD MKX (though, technically, there are no MKX model-trim lines as such) starts at $38,575....per Lincoln's latest update on their web site. That's pretty close to the RX price you quote.

I'm not arguing the RX isn't a better product (we sell them after all in droves). But I think your pricing is off.
A little over 1K? That's not very much in today's world.

Why are we bringing Cadillac up? We know they're doing a better job against Lexus and the Germans than Lincoln. One might argue the addition of VSport puts F-Sport to shame.

I primarily brought it up to illustrate that Lincoln has more competition to worry about than just Lexus. But, Cadillac (IMO) sometimes blows it, too...as on the XTS's underpinnings/tires and in several of their CUE systems.
Old 02-24-14, 08:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm with you. While outlandish grilles are the vogue, some are done right and others are not. This one just looks plain ugly.
Actually, like on some other Lincoln products, the MKX grille looks lke a grinning teen-ager showing off a new set of dental-braces. On the upcoming MKC, Lincoln has changed it to more conservative-looking, horizontal-chome bars.
Old 02-24-14, 09:35 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dc893
I always wonder why people try to derive some type of meaning from these names. There is no secret meaning to X, C, Z, S, or any other Lincoln MK[x] names.

Quick Reply: MM Condensed Review: 2014 Lincoln MKX.