Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why are so many car buyers "Fanboys?"

Old 02-20-14, 04:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I think I'm a fanboy in regards to brands that I like, but that doesn't necessarily translate in to what I buy. But most of all I think familiarity is the #1 factor, because we as humans are hardwired that way. We do things a certain way over and over again that have proven to be successful in some sense.

Wait...where did the LS go?! Congrats on the ISF!

Exactly... I prefer Toyota and Lexus, but I also have a Nissan because it was a better choice at the time.
Old 02-20-14, 05:09 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
So far I have tried Honda, Lexus, Mazda, Toyota, Infiniti, Acura, BMW, and Volkswagen. The next brand would be Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, or Land Rover if I have a lot of money which is very unlikely haha....so probably I would go back to Honda again. I am not loyal to any particular brand, but I do prefer imports a bit more than American brands.
Wow, you've tried a lot of different brands. That's awesome. Looking at your list, I'd love to try Infiniti next--if I turn in my GS 350 at lease expiration. I really like my first Lexus, though, I might keep it. But I haven't driven it very much. I got it on August 1st, 2013, and here it is February 20, 2014 and I've only put 4100 miles on it. It's so pretty, I don't want to mess it up with snow and slush, so I leave it in the garage while I've been driving my 2008 Acura again. I'll take the GS out again this weekend.
Old 02-20-14, 08:24 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
I believe "fanboy" is an expression from gamers who profess undying loyalty to a particular game or even a particular hardware maker (Xbox vs. Playstation, for example). But I think car buyers are the ultimate fanboys.

I admit to having zero loyalty to anything or anyone except my wife and kids. I especially have no loyalty to auto manufacturers, and I'm puzzled as to why some people are "loyal" to certain automakers or brands.
I don't think brand loyalty makes one a fanboy. Instead, I believe becoming offended or defensive when someone disagrees with your views about a particular brand makes one a fanboy and is also a sign of insecurity.
Old 02-20-14, 08:54 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not especially crazy about the term "fanboy" but I do think that many of us may fall into that area. For me, it's a very emotional thing. It's not as rational as being loyal because of proven reliability or customer satisfaction. We all have our favorites. But when objectivity is lost or, at least, off balance, we can become the same as fans of a sports team or musical artist. We become personally invested and attached to a point that we feel it's our duty to protect, defend, exalt our favorite car or brand, regardless of shortcomings. I try very hard not to be that way, even though I have my favorite cars and brands. I tend to be more mercenary than most. I take each car individually on it's own merits. What I think is a great car I will stick up for and those I don't will get criticism... no matter the brand.
Old 02-21-14, 01:03 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used to own just Toyotas and Hondas and led believe that they were the best from the brother and parents. For a while I believed that until I decided to venture out and bought a german car, an M3 and now a Mazdaspeed3. I'm now no longer brand loyal(fanboy) to Honda or Toyota although they do make great cars, they just don't have anything I find interesting.
Old 02-21-14, 07:01 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

im a fanboy and enthusiast. im very loyal to the lexus brand and ill defend these cars to the death. its not just the status or the brand name but the whole package. lexus makes the greatest most reliable cars on the face of the planet. period. ive had plenty of other cars over the years and i like alot of diffrent cars. ive owned plenty of them in my 29 years. here they are from my first to now..

1955 pontiac starchief
1990 Lexus Ls400
1954 buick roadmaster
1966 caddy fleetwood
1997 BMW 740iL
1986 benz 190e
1992 benz 400e
1972 benz 450slc
1980 benz 300d
1986 chevy caprice classic
1980 caprice classic coupe
1991 lexus Ls400
1987 benz 560sel
1992 buick roadmaster
1991 mercury marqui
1989 BMW 750IL
1986 toyota celica vert
1986 buick regal
1995 jeep grand cherokee
1996 jeep grand cherokee
1995 Lexus Ls400

so yeah my car tastes have changed over the years but i always end up back in a Ls400 lol. btw, i had my 1990 Ls400 untill i had my 96 grand cherokee. yeah it outlived all those other cars. i still have a soft spot for old benz but bmw can go to hell. anyway im such a lexus head now i not only drive them, i collect the old ones, and i even work at a lexus dealership, just so i can support my Ls400 hobby. i wonder if i have a problem.. lol
Old 02-21-14, 09:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
1955 pontiac starchief
I had to look this up. Cool car

Old 02-21-14, 11:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, this is one reason why we have this CAR CHAT forum...to discuss various cars (and makes) so people can get some idea of what they are looking at (or getting) before they go out, sign on the dotted line, and fork over all that money. There are also a number of other good sources.....among others, most of the time, I've respected Consumer Reports.
Old 02-21-14, 11:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I had to look this up. Cool car

My dad had a '55 Pontiac when we lived in South America as a boy (he was based there with an American Embassy). It was the first moving car (at age 8) where I actually gripped the steering wheel while sitting next to him (or my mom) and steered the car. I got a real thrill out of that. There were no seat belts or child-seats in those days, of course...letting a kid do that in today's traffic would be frowned upon.

Decent-octane auto gas was hard to come by in that country, so my dad would fill it up at the city's airport with the 100/130 av-gas for large aircraft piston-engines.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-21-14 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-21-14, 11:28 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My dad had a '55 Pontiac when we lived in South America as a boy (he was based there with an American Embassy). It was the first moving car (at age 8) where I actually gripped the steering wheel while sitting next to him (or my mom) and steered the car. I got a real thrill out of that. There were no seat belts or child-seats in those days, of course...letting a kid do that in today's traffic would be frowned upon.

Decent-octane auto gas was hard to come by in that country, so my dad would fill it up at the city's airport with the 100/130 av-gas for large aircraft piston-engines.
Cool story and thanks for sharing. I've seriously never heard of a Starchief before today
Old 02-21-14, 11:50 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

I am the opposite of a fanboy. I don't love any single brand but I do strongly dislike alot of brands (BMW, Subaru, to name a few).
Old 02-21-14, 04:14 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Coconut
I am the opposite of a fanboy. I don't love any single brand but I do strongly dislike alot of brands (BMW, Subaru, to name a few).
Funny, nothing wrong with their cars, they are very competent, but nothing stands out to me nor excites me
Old 02-21-14, 04:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Cool story and thanks for sharing. I've seriously never heard of a Starchief before today
The Star Chief was one of the Pontiac trim-levels of the mid-to-late 50s. It was not very popular, and both the Bonneville and Catalina handily outsold it (like in the Chevy line, where the Biscayne was handily outsold by the Bel Air and Impala). The name was dropped a few years later.
Old 02-21-14, 04:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Funny, nothing wrong with their cars, they are very competent, but nothing stands out to me nor excites me
I owned an Outback for seven years. Take it from me.....It's hard to dislike a Subaru when you are trying to get around in bad weather conditions. They have what is arguably the best AWD systems on the market....though to be honest, I'm not sure the newer Subaru AWD systems, with the electronic torque-vectoring to the rear wheels, are quite as effective on snow/ice as the older mechanical limited-slip rear differentials, which were superb.
Old 02-21-14, 05:05 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Star Chief was one of the Pontiac trim-levels of the mid-to-late 50s. It was not very popular, and both the Bonneville and Catalina handily outsold it (like in the Chevy line, where the Biscayne was handily outsold by the Bel Air and Impala). The name was dropped a few years later.
Makes sense why I never heard of it then. Wonder if good condition ones beckons a decent price ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why are so many car buyers "Fanboys?"