Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why are so many car buyers "Fanboys?"

Old 02-20-14, 09:35 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

People tend to stick with what they know.. As the example above if the Honda treats them well they will buy another one.. A few bad experiences with a Brand vehicle they will move onto something else.. Its human Nature..

This thread is pointless....

Last edited by tmf2004; 02-20-14 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 09:36 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"People tend to stick with what they now.." - tmf2004

That's my whole point. Why don't people want to know something different? Why not experiment a little? I find myself wanting cars (if I can afford them) that are not common. For example, I will never (again) buy a car that is common to rental fleets. That was my problem when I considered the Cadillac CTS, prior to getting my first Lexus. When I bought a car that is now common in rental fleets (but wasn't back in 2002), and I'm referring to the Nissan Altima, I asked the dealer how many people buy the 4 cylinder version versus the much hotter V6 (back then it came with the same engine as the Maxima), I was told 85% of Altima buyers purchased the emasculated version, the 4 cylinder, so I Insisted on the V6. When I bought my wife a new 2012 Acadia, I insisted on the more upscale Denali model. I just don't like what I call "me-too" cars. So I will never buy a Ford, or a Camry, or an Accord. I think the Lexus RX is a "me-too" car. There are just too many of them.

What made the 4GS so attractive, aside from the way it felt during my test drive, is that it isn't as omnipresent or common as the BMW 5 series or E350. On that basis, the only competition for my money this last time around was the Jaguar XF.

But I'll change, and maybe try something different 18 months from now. I saw a good looking Kia on TV. I think it was a K900 or something like that.

Last edited by Trek; 02-20-14 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 09:38 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOW DARE YOU CALL ME A FANBOY I'M SO OFFENDED

so the story goes
Old 02-20-14, 09:47 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek

That's my whole point. Why don't people want to know something different? Why not experiment a little? I find myself wanting cars (if I can afford them) that are not common. For example, I will never (again) buy a car that is common to rental fleets. That was my problem when I considered the Cadillac CTS, prior to getting my first Lexus. When I bought a car that is now common in rental fleets (but wasn't back in 2002), and I'm referring to the Nissan Altima, I asked the dealer how many people buy the 4 cylinder version versus the much hotter V6 (back then it came with the same engine as the Maxima), I was told 85% of Altima buyers purchased the emasculated version, the 4 cylinder, so I Insisted on the V6. When I bought my wife a new 2012 Acadia, I insisted on the more upscale Denali model. I just don't like what I call "me-too" cars. So I will never buy a Ford, or a Camry, or an Accord. I think the Lexus RX is a "me-too" car. There are just too many of them.

What made the 4GS so attractive, aside from the way it felt during my test drive, is that it isn't as omnipresent or common as the BMW 5 series or E350. On that basis, the only competition for my money this last time around was the Jaguar XF.

But I'll change, and maybe try something different 18 months from now. I saw a good looking Kia on TV. I think it was a K900 or something like that.
Because aside from a house, a car is the biggest purchase someone will normally make. If they have had good experiences with a particular brand, why gamble with a purchase you plan on keeping for a number of years?

Obviously, the numbers change if you consider leasing or you just change cars frequently but the average age of a car right now is 11 years and if I'm keeping a car for that long, I'm going to go with the brand that has taken care of me in the past
Old 02-20-14, 10:01 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I just don't like what I call "me-too" cars. So I will never buy a Ford, or a Camry, or an Accord. I think the Lexus RX is a "me-too" car. There are just too many of them.
Eh, I just buy whatever model suits the needs of me and my family, and don't worry about what other people are driving. But that's the great thing about choices. We all get to make our own.
Old 02-20-14, 10:04 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have owned many different brands. The only thing they will always have in common is that they are Japanese. I like my motoring headache free. Over the years I have gravitated to Lexus for its superior build quality ,reliability, and most of all the customer service ( outside the hacks and morons at Bell Lexus in AZ)
Old 02-20-14, 10:05 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think there is a difference in the amount of disposable income and experience for some of the folks you are referring to. For some, they have to stay with their current brand for a while because they cannot afford to buy another car. I was in a similar situation in college and early in my career. I had a hand me down honda and then because of familiarity I bought a fancy honda (Acura). Its all I knew at the time and it was all I could afford.
Old 02-20-14, 10:27 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Everyone has a "type" or something that resonates better with them. That doesn't necessarily mean they're against change.

My Grandfather is not a "fan boy" but he is loyal. He's never owned anything but Ford. Now recently he's looked at other things but his safety net will always be Ford. I took him and my grandmother to dinner one night in the Lexus and g'ma says "Father, I'll take one in Arrest Me Red." "It's very nice, but why red?" "So you can see me on TV. You know it'll be a hot pursuit!"
Old 02-20-14, 10:29 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbm317
It's part of the self-serving bias/attribution error. It may be subconscious, but still exists for "most consumers" and their purchases.
It's a bit more complicated than that. For anyone who wants to read a bit more about how humans can make bad decisions and then justify it to themselves later, give this book a read.

Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts: Carol Tavris, Elliot Aronson: 9780156033909: Amazon.com: Books Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts: Carol Tavris, Elliot Aronson: 9780156033909: Amazon.com: Books
Old 02-20-14, 10:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sticking with what you know and are familiar with isn't Fanboyism--it's fear of the unknown. Saying "I've really liked my Camry, and I'm going to get the new one when it comes out" does not make you a fanboy. Trying to tell me I'm nuts for wanting an Accord over a Camry because Honda has put out so many so-so products over the past 8 years--THAT makes you a fanboy.

Conversely, trying something different every time out doesn't make you the anti-fanboy. It just makes you someone who wants to try something different.
Old 02-20-14, 10:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been burnt with American badges and pretty recently with a BMW 335i.
I stay with Toyota or Honda because I've never had any serious issues.
The difference with me and a fanboy is I call a spade a spade.
No sugarcoating an issue because it's a Honda or Toyota product for me.
Fanboys will put a spin on anything negative..
Old 02-20-14, 01:40 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Some people feel the need to justify their purchase by espousing the benefits of _____________ , while bashing a competing product.

I don't get involved in the back and forth; it's mostly drivel.
Old 02-20-14, 02:04 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

So far I have tried Honda, Lexus, Mazda, Toyota, Infiniti, Acura, BMW, and Volkswagen. The next brand would be Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, or Land Rover if I have a lot of money which is very unlikely haha....so probably I would go back to Honda again. I am not loyal to any particular brand, but I do prefer imports a bit more than American brands.
Old 02-20-14, 02:41 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I think I'm a fanboy in regards to brands that I like, but that doesn't necessarily translate in to what I buy. But most of all I think familiarity is the #1 factor, because we as humans are hardwired that way. We do things a certain way over and over again that have proven to be successful in some sense.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have owned many different brands. The only thing they will always have in common is that they are Japanese. I like my motoring headache free. Over the years I have gravitated to Lexus for its superior build quality ,reliability, and most of all the customer service ( outside the hacks and morons at Bell Lexus in AZ)
Wait...where did the LS go?! Congrats on the ISF!
Old 02-20-14, 03:18 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

While I will admit that i am a huge fan of Ford, I have owned other brands (Pontiac, Lexus). I still favor Ford though, due to my early exposure to Ford trucks. It's a bit sentimental to me.

But i also love GM.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why are so many car buyers "Fanboys?"