Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2015 Subaru WRX STI

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-14, 01:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

wow, looks like wrx delivers the torque so much more quickly, but sti delivers more when 'screaming'
Old 05-19-14, 11:06 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We take you on a rally-cross road romp in the all-new Subaru WRX STI.
Old 06-10-14, 10:05 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Cars.com reviewer Kelsey Mays says the 2015 Subaru WRX STI -- the even-more performance-focused sibling of the WRX and Impreza -- is plenty quick and built for spirited driving. But does this "mean little sedan" justify its $35,000 starting price?
Old 06-11-14, 11:23 AM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So to anyone with the new WRX or STi, is it normal for as much brake dust to be littering my wheels as much as is being done? Doesn't even take a week and the front wheels no longer have that nice gold shine (driving launch edition), they are almost black. Even the rear wheels are getting covered in more than ever remember seeing on rear wheels. Is this normal for new cars? Will the amount of brake dust lower over time (got about 750 miles on so far). I have to literally scrub my wheels every 4-5 days to keep them looking nice.
Old 06-11-14, 05:48 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdak25
So to anyone with the new WRX or STi, is it normal for as much brake dust to be littering my wheels as much as is being done? Doesn't even take a week and the front wheels no longer have that nice gold shine (driving launch edition), they are almost black. Even the rear wheels are getting covered in more than ever remember seeing on rear wheels. Is this normal for new cars? Will the amount of brake dust lower over time (got about 750 miles on so far). I have to literally scrub my wheels every 4-5 days to keep them looking nice.
Yes, it is normal. Harder brakes will shred more dust. The STI brakes are very catching, front and rear alike. Try the hand brake and see. I am disappointed just like you, but well.....at least the gold wheels won't be damaged by the brake dust alone
Old 06-11-14, 07:12 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

there are brake pads available that don't put out as much dust....but probably won't stop as well.

I use this stuff on the A5....cuts it down (repels) probably 50%.....reviews are also on youtube.

Old 06-12-14, 06:20 AM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell
there are brake pads available that don't put out as much dust....but probably won't stop as well.

I use this stuff on the A5....cuts it down (repels) probably 50%.....reviews are also on youtube.

Thanks, i'll give this stuff a try. Looks like a good solution.
Old 06-12-14, 06:36 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/20...-2013-concept/

subaru already planning on changes after just one year? hope its true
Old 06-12-14, 06:49 AM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ

interesting, though me personally I don't think I like the overall look of the concept better than the roll out model.
Old 06-12-14, 08:46 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

seriously doubt this article...but it does say LATE 2016...so maybe

interesting, though me personally I don't think I like the overall look of the concept better than the roll out model.
really? danm, I loved the concept....!

Last edited by bagwell; 06-12-14 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-12-14, 09:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

you may want to consider different brake pads. performance pads are typically dust monsters - same is true on lots of high end performance cars.
Old 06-12-14, 09:17 AM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell
really? danm, I loved the concept....!
I mean i didn't dislike it. I do like the front end and head/fog lamps better on the prototype, but just over all (particularly the rear). Just my opinion.
Old 06-12-14, 11:48 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

been thinking about the 2015 Sti as a fun extra car. the looks have definitely grown on me. but if there is a possible makeover in a year, i'd hate to buy one now.
the other issue is....am i too old for a car like this? can i buy the WR blue color with the big *** wing and drive it to work and still look professional? thats my main dilemma.
Old 06-12-14, 12:11 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

been thinking about the 2015 Sti as a fun extra car. the looks have definitely grown on me. but if there is a possible makeover in a year, i'd hate to buy one now.
the other issue is....am i too old for a car like this? can i buy the WR blue color with the big *** wing and drive it to work and still look professional? thats my main dilemma.
note the makeover is for LATE 2016

...and I'm in the same boat...you could always swap the trunk with someone with a WRX trunk...or easier still would be bumperplugs.com (with some silicone)

Last edited by bagwell; 06-12-14 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-12-14, 07:20 PM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Spent an hour hand washing the wheels then applied the protectant. Sadly a very light 2 minute rain sprinkle came down soon as I was done. Hope it didn't hurt the job. Also had the SPT exhaust installed today and wow does the car sound amazing. Dropping it off tomorrow for an over night 2k stereo job (including sound proofing on all 4 doors). Will follow up later.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2015 Subaru WRX STI