Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2015 Subaru WRX STI

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 10:03 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2015 Subaru WRX STI is a Rally race car that you can drive on the street and even more importantly use as your everyday ride. If you are ready to geek out on the STI....this is the video for you. If you love powerpoint presentations that go into the smallest details.....this is the video for you. Ready or not here's another TFLcar exclusive video that tells you more than everything you ever wanted to know about the new Subaru WRX STI.
The STI is A-OK according to Greg Carloss who was out in California getting a First Look at the hottest of hot Subarus.
Check out this *first drive* 0-60 MPH Test of the 2015 Subaru WRX STI. This high performance model is equipped with a turbocharged 2.5 liter 4-cylinder BOXER engine that makes 305 horsepower.

A best 0-60 MPH run of 5.4 seconds was accomplished with the DCCD set to "Auto" and the Traction Control switched "Off".
Have you ever wondered what one lap around Laguna Seca Raceway in the 2015 Subaru WRX STI would look like? Well our Road Test Editor recently had the opportunity to be one of the first to flog Subaru's all-new super sedan around one of America's best race tracks. With 305 AWD horsepower, you get a taste of what this turbocharged rocket can do.
Old 02-26-14, 11:56 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Dyno Tested: 2015 Subaru WRX vs. 2015 Subaru STI

Testing Results here:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...aru-wrx-vs-sti
Old 02-28-14, 01:51 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Take a quick look at the brakes, exhaust, and underneath the new 2015 Subaru WRX STI.
Old 03-02-14, 01:33 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

That's really interesting that full boost is achieved that much quicker in the WRX.
Old 03-03-14, 06:15 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
That's really interesting that full boost is achieved that much quicker in the WRX.
The WRX has a new engine. This one is a carryover with only minimal tweaks. I'm not sure it needs replacement, either, although I'll be the first to say that more HP in the STi would always be welcome.
Old 03-03-14, 09:12 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously, this is where the 'newer is better' principle comes into play. This shown in how these new FA/FB engines are more technologically-advanced compared to the EJ series engines.

Still, the EJ series deserves some credit for remaining strong even after many years....
Old 03-03-14, 10:14 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Obviously, this is where the 'newer is better' principle comes into play. This shown in how these new FA/FB engines are more technologically-advanced compared to the EJ series engines.

Still, the EJ series deserves some credit for remaining strong even after many years....
Not only FA is more " technologically-advanced", it also has far superior build quality.
I really want to see how much power we can get from stock internal FA20DIT. FA series is really a tuner engine. Not to de-credit EJ because it's pretty good, and serves STI for over a decade.
Old 03-03-14, 12:57 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So...in another word...don't buy 15 STI ? Wait for FA20 engine in an STI before anything then ?
Old 03-03-14, 01:02 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Whitigir
So...in another word...don't buy 15 STI ? Wait for FA20 engine in an STI before anything then ?
If you're not going to tune your car engine, the STI has everything you need. There are people who got 30-40hp reliably on mapping. That should be more than enough for a daily driver.

FA has too much potential beyond what a normal tuner wants to do to jis car, there is no point to wait unless you're serious about turning STI into a supercar beater.
Old 03-03-14, 02:24 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

I have had modded car before.....completely useless in DD, even more in the track. Too much could go wrong because of how intensified everything is under racing conditions. Even if the car handled it once, it doesnt mean it will for a long time. Therefore, I am trully tired of modding.

Now, i just want a car which is for all weather, fun to drive, reliable even in the track for a few laps.

I hear STI is the one....but also ring land issues, which scares me a lot. Certainly, i do not want to spend 40k and have an engine blow up in the track....where Subaru would not warrantee for use of Racing purposes....then I wonder what is the point of an STI.

I am re thinking that i can have 3IS, beat it at the track....and still reliable for few hundred thousands mile
Old 03-03-14, 02:44 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Bingo.

The EJ has been around for 20 years. Time for some new technology.
Old 03-03-14, 03:56 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

I have had modded car before.....completely useless in DD, even more in the track. Too much could go wrong because of how intensified everything is under racing conditions. Even if the car handled it once, it doesnt mean it will for a long time. Therefore, I am trully tired of modding.

Now, i just want a car which is for all weather, fun to drive, reliable even in the track for a few laps.

I hear STI is the one....but also ring land issues, which scares me a lot. Certainly, i do not want to spend 40k and have an engine blow up in the track....where Subaru would not warrantee for use of Racing purposes....then I wonder what is the point of an STI.

I am re thinking that i can have 3IS, beat it at the track....and still reliable for few hundred thousands mile
I vote for 3IS. I personally don't want another automatic, if I did, I would get RC350 F sport.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Bingo.

The EJ has been around for 20 years. Time for some new technology.
Comon man, EJ isn't bad. It already had aftermarket support if you want something "extraordinary".
Old 03-03-14, 04:56 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, the automatic is another bummer....i dont know why we dont have much choices out there
Old 04-11-14, 01:23 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

As long as we can remember
We've empowered the driver
We've pushed the boundaries
So that the triumph of victory
And the joy of driving
Can be available to all.
Designed by STI
Old 04-11-14, 04:43 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Ughhhhhh I cannot wait for that to be me!

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2015 Subaru WRX STI