Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Toronto Autoshow - Impressions and Disappointments

Old 02-17-14, 12:48 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr
I meant Optima.
Leather stitching doesn't make it on par with RLX. All you talked about is the look, and the look is subjective.
The overall quality of interior material, space, features, and technologies that wrap around the driver and passengers is what define luxury. Optima has nothing of those.
Old 02-17-14, 01:05 PM
kwr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by spwolf
no they dont
I stand by my statement relative to depreciation. In the first few years of ownership, some of the flagship sedans depreciate less. Once you get to years 8-10, the price gap decreases significantly. The caveat is the LS which started at a much lower price in '06 than its counterparts. Do a quick search for '06 flagship sedans on cars.com and you'll see that all of the cars are priced in the $20K range.

Originally Posted by cino
Leather stitching doesn't make it on par with RLX. All you talked about is the look, and the look is subjective.
The overall quality of interior material, space, features, and technologies that wrap around the driver and passengers is what define luxury. Optima has nothing of those.
Very fair; though, evaluating interiors for the most is subjective. I can only use pictures to judge as I'd never test drive an Optima or RLX. At the end of the day, I think most people agree the RLX is overpriced for what you get.
Old 02-17-14, 01:31 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Man Acura's are underrated. Take the RLX for example, a really good car that not much know about. It's genuinely good.

And this is what I call a plush & luxury interior. No tacky detail, no chintzy feeling and it's not pretending to be something it's not. Just pure comfort.

Saw the RLX last year and I thought it was a nice car too except the tail. I think what makes people less interested in this car is it's a FWD. With about the same money, one can get the GS for a better drive/handling. The look is subjective between the two. Another thing I remember reading is the design is nice but not that much nicer than an accord to justify the price difference.
Old 02-17-14, 01:39 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Saw the RLX last year and I thought it was a nice car too except the tail. I think what makes people less interested in this car is it's a FWD. With about the same money, one can get the GS for a better drive/handling. The look is subjective between the two. Another thing I remember reading is the design is nice but not that much nicer than an accord to justify the price difference.
I totally agree. The tail is the one of ugliests of any production car in this modern day. Surprisingly, TLX is better looking than the more expensive RLX in every way ,especially the tail.
Old 02-17-14, 03:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr
I stand by my statement relative to depreciation.
Well, it is not same to me if $70k car drops to $20k and $120k car drops to $24k, with same year/mileage. Thats $45k difference in depreciation... you can buy well equipped RX350 for the missus with the difference.
Old 02-17-14, 03:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
I totally agree. The tail is the one of ugliests of any production car in this modern day. Surprisingly, TLX is better looking than the more expensive RLX in every way ,especially the tail.
That's because the TLX Concept was built by Acura USA and the RLX by Acura Japan. Who'd have thought regions know what their consumers and market wants
Old 02-17-14, 03:21 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's because the TLX Concept was built by Acura USA and the RLX by Acura Japan. Who'd have thought regions know what their consumers and market wants
Wha, so that's why. Man, Honda should dump their Japanese design team, so assign a better chef designer.
Old 02-17-14, 05:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Scion tC, Matrix, etc? :-)

Regions dont always know better.
Old 02-17-14, 06:03 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by spwolf
Scion tC, Matrix, etc? :-)

Regions dont always know better.
Toyoda wasn't really running the show when those products came out though
Old 02-17-14, 06:14 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

saw an RLX loaner going around SF the other day...using your "flagship" as a loaner?
Old 02-17-14, 06:30 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by RXSF
saw an RLX loaner going around SF the other day...using your "flagship" as a loaner?
At least it's exposure. Then again I've heard of some Lexus dealers using an IS F as a loaner. My own dealer has done an LX once and currently has a GSh in loaner status.
Old 02-17-14, 06:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RXSF
Here too…its a sales disaster, what else can they do with it? They are available 8-10k off sticker and they still are not moving, the car isn't even a year old yet.

Anywhoo, lets get back to the nice review….

Old 02-17-14, 09:53 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Toyoda wasn't really running the show when those products came out though
So we have Akio to thank for the downgrade in quality of most Lexus models?
Old 02-17-14, 09:55 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexFather
Here too…its a sales disaster, what else can they do with it? They are available 8-10k off sticker and they still are not moving, the car isn't even a year old yet.

Anywhoo, lets get back to the nice review….
In that case I'd choose the RLX over the ES. More powerful, more comfortable and better quality car.
Old 02-17-14, 10:07 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

lol truecar is stating a savings of 12K off msrp in my area.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Toronto Autoshow - Impressions and Disappointments