Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Toronto Autoshow - Impressions and Disappointments

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-14, 06:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
purple gs in last pic? or usb with slight white balance camera problem?
1. Not a GS
2. Looks blue to me
Old 02-17-14, 07:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
1. Not a GS
2. Looks blue to me
ha just looked at it on a different monitor, and yes, more blue! it looked more purple on the cheap monitor, but looks great on the better one. adjusted cheap monitor's settings now.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-17-14 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-17-14, 07:45 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man Acura's are underrated. Take the RLX for example, a really good car that not much know about. It's genuinely good.

And this is what I call a plush & luxury interior. No tacky detail, no chintzy feeling and it's not pretending to be something it's not. Just pure comfort.

Old 02-17-14, 08:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Man Acura's are underrated. Take the RLX for example, a really good car that not much know about. It's genuinely good.

Possibly, but in today's market, you need to stand out like they once did in the late 80s into the late 90s with the Integra and Legend. The general automotive consensus is that despite their excellent build quality, they are too bland, lack passion like they once did, and from a luxury and technological standpoint, have very little more to offer from Honda products. Lexus is slowly changing stylistically and driving dynamic-wise to gain conquest buyers from the renowned German buyers, otherwise a plush soft ride, quiet interior and best-in-class reliability would not be enough to be leaders. What is Acura doing to target the Germans and beat them at their game? As a many-time Acura/Honda owner, I do root for them but unfortunately, I don't see Acura taking this highly evolving market seriously and not just adapting to it, but showing conviction they WANT to beat them. It's too bad. I fear the new RLX will fall in the same dismal sales figures as the past RL. Acura needs a higher-end flagship car, or perhaps a halo car like the upcoming NSX to inject some much needed passion. Maybe the TLX is the answer. Afterall, people buy luxury cars heavily based on passion for it and brand perception, otherwise a reliable, well-built, smooth and quiet 30K Camry or Accord with 98% the bells-and whistles will do just fine.
Old 02-17-14, 08:24 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
purple IS in last pic? or usb with slight white balance camera problem?
that's USB color
Old 02-17-14, 11:10 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Lexus GX: - The supple buttery leather seats, dash, and console wreaked quality and for about 5-8K more than the RX? Add a sexy spindle grill and suddenly becomes a strong value proposition. WOW, did not expect to be this impressed. No wonder it's in short supply.

LR Evoque: - Nice interior for a $35-40K car, not the $72K Cdn (or $60K USD) fully loaded model I saw. Door slam sounded and felt rattly like the Maserati below.
Interesting comments about the GX and Evoque. We differ on both. Never been a fan of the GX's interior. My co-worker has a '13 GX. The plastic around the center console is a deal breaker and the quality of the leather was OK. Maybe the '14 is much improved.

Originally Posted by dat dude
I've gone for a test drive of the Ghibli and I must agree with you. I was so surprised at the build quality, it honestly felt like a clapped up 300c. Even the drive wasn't what I expected.
I have a feeling that Maserati will soon loose its quality that it was known for.
My Ghibli test drive experience was quite different. I walked away thinking the car offered a lot for the price. The leather was nicer than anything the Germans and Lexus offered in the $80-$90K price point. The car handled well and the exhaust sound was unmatched. In fact I was so close to trading my 750 for it, but at last minute shifted my attention to the Gran Turismo.

Originally Posted by doge
Hahahaha, Maserati was never known for quality. it's regarded as one of the the biggest pieces of garbage ever built. Why do you think you can pick up a 06 quattroporte with 30k miles for around 20k. Same goes for the gran turismo they're giving those away!
None of the flagship luxury sedans hold their value. You can pick up a '06 S Class (AMG) for 20K as well. They all depreciate at about the same rate. Also '06 cars are almost 10 years old!

Last edited by kwr; 02-17-14 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-17-14, 11:25 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr
Interesting comments about the GX and Evoque. We differ on both. Never been a fan of the GX's interior. My co-worker has a '13 GX. The plastic around the center console is a deal breaker and the quality of the leather was OK. Maybe the '14 is much improved.

The '14 has some interior tweaks and the dash is a little utilitarian/4-Runner-ish in terms of design. But the quality is up there. The one at the autoshow was fully loaded with the dual DVD and the semi-analine leather, which is why it was sooooo buttery soft!
Old 02-17-14, 11:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr
Nope same plastic from 2010+
Old 02-17-14, 11:44 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

USB IS F-Sport. Damn sexy.
Old 02-17-14, 11:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
1. Not a GS
2. Looks blue to me
lol…..exactly

Originally Posted by yowps3

And this is what I call a plush & luxury interior. No tacky detail, no chintzy feeling and it's not pretending to be something it's not. Just pure comfort.

[/img]
You are joking right? The car is the newest and worst in class. Sales are worst in class. No one wants a super gussied up Accord for 50-65k. The exterior does it no favors.

Good doesn't cut it in the mid-size class.

Old 02-17-14, 12:01 PM
kwr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexFather
lol…..exactly

You are joking right? The car is the newest and worst in class. Sales are worst in class. No one wants a super gussied up Accord for 50-65k. The exterior does it no favors.

Good doesn't cut it in the mid-size class.
Agree...the interior of the RLX is about as nice as a Kia Optima.
Old 02-17-14, 12:17 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kwr
Agree...the interior of the RLX is about as nice as a Kia Optima.
Optima? You probably mean K900 because no matter how you slice it, Optima interior is no where close to RLX.
Old 02-17-14, 12:33 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

I like the RLX, but I can't forgive them for putting fake wood in a $50K+ car.
Old 02-17-14, 12:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr
None of the flagship luxury sedans hold their value. You can pick up a '06 S Class (AMG) for 20K as well. They all depreciate at about the same rate. Also '06 cars are almost 10 years old!

no they dont
Old 02-17-14, 12:38 PM
kwr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cino
Optima? You probably mean K900 because no matter how you slice it, Optima interior is no where close to RLX.
I meant Optima.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Toronto Autoshow - Impressions and Disappointments-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2014 Toronto Autoshow - Impressions and Disappointments