Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions

Old 02-18-14, 06:35 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
the cx9 is very long on the tooth. I almost bought one but glad i didn't.

the engine and tranny seems very old tech and is a massive gas guzzler.
i like the CX-9. But the issue isn't that the engine & transmission are low tech. It's just that the Ford sourced 3.7L V6 is not a good motor. It makes so much revs and noise but there's so little forward thrust. It's also not very smooth. But what V6 is besides the Toyota, Honda and to less extent Nissan's VQ.

In comparison the 3.5L 2GR motor Toyota uses in the highlander & RX has less power on paper but it pulls stronger from every speed and it's also a lot smoother and consumes much less fuel.
Old 02-18-14, 06:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

mpg would be a big deciding factor. If they are both similar then I'd go for the bigger beast.

durango claims about 18 to 25, I'm assuming the RX will give off a little more.
The Durango is essentially a longer Jeep Grand Cherokee. I get 16 city and 21 highway with the V6. The RX will do significantly better.

The Durango is too big if you don't need the room IMHO. Its difficult to park. If you don't need the room and you like the Durango, just get a Grand Cherokee.

LexFather is right, the RX is the undisputed sales king...so Lexus must be doing something right.
Old 02-18-14, 09:42 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's a suv, cuv, utility vehicle, or whatever they call it now.

u gotta have a 3rd row. it's cool just to have it even if you don't need it. it's the ability to throw in a ton of people for spontanious road trips.
Old 02-18-14, 09:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
In comparison the 3.5L 2GR motor Toyota uses in the highlander & RX has less power on paper but it pulls stronger from every speed and it's also a lot smoother and consumes much less fuel.
hard to parse that sentence... are you saying the rx is faster, smoother and consumes less fuel than the newest highlander?
Old 02-18-14, 09:53 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hard to parse that sentence... are you saying the rx is faster, smoother and consumes less fuel than the newest highlander?
No. Both the highlander & RX use the same motor which is better than the one used in the CX9
Old 02-18-14, 09:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
No. Both the highlander & RX use the same motor which is better than the one used in the CX9
gotcha. no surprise there.
Old 02-18-14, 10:09 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

u gotta have a 3rd row. it's cool just to have it even if you don't need it. it's the ability to throw in a ton of people for spontanious road trips.
Worst sentence and not based in any type of fact whatsoever. Obviously people don't "gotta" have the third row as the Grand Cherokee (2 row) outsells the Durango (3 row) by more than 3:1.
Old 02-19-14, 05:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

RX is an old design now, wouldnt even consider it. Highlander was redesigned which means a new RX is coming. MDX is way better.
Old 02-19-14, 06:30 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Default Maybe the wrong place but pertinent to this thread

Hey Mods, a quick question... I don't post nearly as often on CL anymore but one GLARING observation:

When did it become okay to bash Lexus/competition purely based on opinion without a SHRED OF FACT?????

You guys know me, I welcome debate... it's what USED to make CL such a great place... debate, NOT flaming or bating.... if you did, it was corrected IMMEDIATELY

There's been some awesome debate in this thread... AND utterly ridiculous commentary that has no place on the CL I know and would warrant Mod input

I've NEVER seen that on here before...

PS: There is not a single FACT about the CX-9 I disagree with when comparing FACTS... if in the market now, for me, the new JGC is awesome (5-seater) as is new Highlander (for me, need 6+ seating) and I'll save posting FACTS in comparing SUVs that have been pointed out... high-end, GL450 or Q7 (again, need 6+ seating)

Last edited by rdgdawg; 02-19-14 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-19-14, 06:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Hey Mods, a quick question...
we try to moderate the best we can but we're not perfect of course and miss things. if you see posts you think are out of line, please use the report post function (red border triangle icon on lower left of a post) and we'll take a look at it. thanks! and good to see you on here again.
Old 02-19-14, 06:51 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
we try to moderate the best we can but we're not perfect of course and miss things. if you see posts you think are out of line, please use the report post function (red border triangle icon on lower left of a post) and we'll take a look at it. thanks! and good to see you on here again.
Thx Bit, will do.... in this thread it's rather obvious and know you all have always done a GREAT job!!!

Good to be back!!!
Old 02-19-14, 08:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Actually the Durango is a very nice vehicle. Its on the JGC/Mercedes ML/GL platform, well built, very comfortable ride, good looking.
Yep. In refinement and (initial) assembly-quality, it is typical of what we are seeing from the new Chrysler in the last several years. Its long-term reliability, thiough, has not really yet been proven....that has been a Chrysler weakness for many years.

A better comparison would be the Grand Cherokee to the RX (which is a comparison I made in 2011). I think the GC is beefier, more substantial, and in the upper trims has a nicer interior. But the RX is more agile, easier to drive and park, classier looking. Better warranty....way more reliable...
While I understand your basic point, comparing the RX to a JGC, to some extent, is apples and oranges. The RX is superb in what it actually does, but it is not intended for the kind of off-roading that Trail-Rated Jeeps are capable of.
Old 02-19-14, 08:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thx Bit, will do.... in this thread it's rather obvious and know you all have always done a GREAT job!!!
Agreed...the mods help make CL the great forum it is.

Good to be back!!!
Yeah...where you been, Russ? Out looking at more new vehicles? We missed you.
Old 02-19-14, 09:57 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed...the mods help make CL the great forum it is.

Yeah...where you been, Russ? Out looking at more new vehicles? We missed you.
Howdy Mike... well, you know me, always "looking"... nah, busy with work/life stuff and after getting the Sea Ray 185 my focus has been on "water" speed, not land... looking forward to catching up and getting back in the swing!!

Was in ATL two weeks ago, got to drive new Stingray (new fav car- AMAZING ), but alas, no track time
Old 02-19-14, 10:14 AM
LexFather

Hey Mods, a quick question... I don't post nearly as often on CL anymore but one GLARING observation:

When did it become okay to bash Lexus/competition purely based on opinion without a SHRED OF FACT?????

You guys know me, I welcome debate... it's what USED to make CL such a great place... debate, NOT flaming or bating.... if you did, it was corrected IMMEDIATELY

There's been some awesome debate in this thread... AND utterly ridiculous commentary that has no place on the CL I know and would warrant Mod input

I've NEVER seen that on here before...

PS: There is not a single FACT about the CX-9 I disagree with when comparing FACTS... if in the market now, for me, the new JGC is awesome (5-seater) as is new Highlander (for me, need 6+ seating) and I'll save posting FACTS in comparing SUVs that have been pointed out... high-end, GL450 or Q7 (again, need 6+ seating)
Yup…the CX-9 is a good SUV, not sure why people are bashing it. The RX as well and even if I wouldn't buy a MDX, its still a good SUV.

Things have gotten really

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions