Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 02:01 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 2014 durango is one of the best looking suv's out there. It is massively overlooked by the mainstream especially at a sell price of 25k for the base model brand new. It just looks like a man's machine.

Old 02-18-14, 02:07 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote for the FJ Cruiser!!!
Old 02-18-14, 02:28 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tantrix
the cx9 is very long on the tooth.
In what way?

I almost bought one but glad i didn't.
Why?

the engine and tranny seems very old tech
Seems??

and is a massive gas guzzler.
In what way, compared to what??

I've had one for a full year and love everything about it INCLUDING the mileage. You admit you didn't buy one, voiced only opinion,not a single FACT... therefore every comment you made is completely asinine

I didn't buy a Durango (your choice in the next thread) specifically because they CATCH FIRE... FACT!!! How's THAT tranny working out???
Old 02-18-14, 02:46 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I think the 2014 durango is one of the best looking suv's out there. It is massively overlooked by the mainstream especially at a sell price of 25k for the base model brand new. It just looks like a man's machine.

Dodge is selling 5k-6k per month, 61k last year. Hardly what I'd call massively overlooked. With those numbers it is as mainstream as other SUV's.
Old 02-18-14, 02:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

You mean a mechanic's machine.

As for it being overlooked, it's because shoppers are more informed today than ever so ask yourself why this is the case, then ask why it only cost you 25K.

As for the RX being cookie cutter and a fake SUV on your previous post. Well, between your purchasing a Durango and making such a statement, you clearly are not one of the informed shoppers in today's market. Good luck and enjoy your Durango.
Old 02-18-14, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The Durango is too big for what he wants, he said he doesn't want a big 3 row SUV.

I agree that the CX9 is past its prime and ready to be redesigned. I like the CX-9, but I wouldn't buy one until the next generation comes out.

As for the FJ Cruiser...it has no utility for a family or someone who wants to carry people.
Old 02-18-14, 04:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The Durango is too big for what he wants, he said he doesn't want a big 3 row SUV.

I agree that the CX9 is past its prime and ready to be redesigned. I like the CX-9, but I wouldn't buy one until the next generation comes out.

As for the FJ Cruiser...it has no utility for a family or someone who wants to carry people.
To to mention visibility is almost non existent in most regards
Old 02-18-14, 04:53 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Lol what a joke of a car. You cannot post here for 3 days )
Old 02-18-14, 04:53 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

don't let fear strike you when a durango comes passing your way.

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
In what way?

Why?

Seems??

In what way, compared to what??

I've had one for a full year and love everything about it INCLUDING the mileage. You admit you didn't buy one, voiced only opinion,not a single FACT... therefore every comment you made is completely asinine

I didn't buy a Durango (your choice in the next thread) specifically because they CATCH FIRE... FACT!!! How's THAT tranny working out???
Old 02-18-14, 04:56 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

the durango will chew up the RX for breakfast. At least it looks like it. It's wide, thick, girthy...unlike the RX, of which one word best used to describe it is the word "sissy". don't be offended. Just put on that Tiesto bumper sticker and roll with it.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
You mean a mechanic's machine.

As for it being overlooked, it's because shoppers are more informed today than ever so ask yourself why this is the case, then ask why it only cost you 25K.

As for the RX being cookie cutter and a fake SUV on your previous post. Well, between your purchasing a Durango and making such a statement, you clearly are not one of the informed shoppers in today's market. Good luck and enjoy your Durango.
Old 02-18-14, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If it's a so-called "Man's" machine, then why are so many Durangos driven around Suburbia by soccer-moms going to the grocery and ferrying kids back and forth to school? There are males, BTW, who drive even Beetle convertibles.

You gotta be careful before you assign stereotypes.
Old 02-18-14, 05:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
Lol what a joke of a car. You cannot post here for 3 days )
Actually the Durango is a very nice vehicle. Its on the JGC/Mercedes ML/GL platform, well built, very comfortable ride, good looking.

the durango will chew up the RX for breakfast. At least it looks like it. It's wide, thick, girthy...unlike the RX, of which one word best used to describe it is the word "sissy". don't be offended. Just put on that Tiesto bumper sticker and roll with it.
Its a completely different vehicle, and someone who would be interested in an RX would in all likelihood not be interested in a Durango. The Durango is BIG, and thats not always a good thing.

A better comparison would be the Grand Cherokee to the RX (which is a comparison I made in 2011). I think the GC is beefier, more substantial, and in the upper trims has a nicer interior. But the RX is more agile, easier to drive and park, classier looking. Better warranty....way more reliable...
Old 02-18-14, 05:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The Durango is just another decent mainstream SUV. Nothing more and nothing less.
Old 02-18-14, 05:59 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

mpg would be a big deciding factor. If they are both similar then I'd go for the bigger beast.

durango claims about 18 to 25, I'm assuming the RX will give off a little more.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Actually the Durango is a very nice vehicle. Its on the JGC/Mercedes ML/GL platform, well built, very comfortable ride, good looking.

Its a completely different vehicle, and someone who would be interested in an RX would in all likelihood not be interested in a Durango. The Durango is BIG, and thats not always a good thing.

A better comparison would be the Grand Cherokee to the RX (which is a comparison I made in 2011). I think the GC is beefier, more substantial, and in the upper trims has a nicer interior. But the RX is more agile, easier to drive and park, classier looking. Better warranty....way more reliable...
Old 02-18-14, 06:24 PM
LexFather

I like the Durango, rented one for a week in Toronto. Really sick and well done. For whatever reason you really dislike the RX and want to continue to shout this out on a Lexus forum. That is a problem.

The two are not competition and rarely compared. Obviously the RX dominates its market, the Durango is trying to gain traction.

Quick Reply: Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions