Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infinity Q50 vs STI

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-14, 05:25 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Infinity Q50 vs STI

Please, anyone. Can you tell me how is the handling between these two ? I know they both are about the same 0-60.

I want a sport family sedan in the 40-50. But i dont know which one will be more reliable. I want a lexus too, but compare specs to the infinity even hybrid q50 i think only lexus gs450h can compare at 2x the price.

Any inputs are appreciated. Thanks much
Old 02-15-14, 05:34 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The STI would whip the Q50 in 0-60
Old 02-15-14, 06:10 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

It can't be, there are many videos showing Q50 non hybrid do 5.1 to 5.4 0-60mph constantly.

Q50 Hybrid does it in sub 5 seconds, according to a youtube footage

Old 02-15-14, 06:19 AM
LexFather

The STi is a full blown sports car it just has 4 doors, the Q50 is advertised as a sports sedan but more relaxed and less sporty than the G37 and most anything else in class.

You can lease a Q50 very cheaply so it's super cheaply so that's attractive and it's fast in a straight line but it doesn't drive very sporty.

Two very very different cars.

Old 02-15-14, 06:33 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

2014 IS350 Fsport is way better! Why not???
Old 02-15-14, 12:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Personally I'd go with the Q50 if those are your two choices. The Subaru is just too pleblian for my tastes
Old 02-15-14, 12:26 PM
LexFather

Not the same cars but kind of the same..
Good read

http://limitedslipblog.com/2014/02/1...itsubishi-evo/

Old 02-15-14, 12:27 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Please, anyone. Can you tell me how is the handling between these two ? I know they both are about the same 0-60.

I want a sport family sedan in the 40-50. But i dont know which one will be more reliable. I want a lexus too, but compare specs to the infinity even hybrid q50 i think only lexus gs450h can compare at 2x the price.

Internet chatter is just that. Why not drive them for yourself and decide? Magazine reviews and second hand opinions don't mean much because everyone has their own sweet spot for ride/handling.
Old 02-15-14, 12:45 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

STI will run circles around Q50.
Straight line speed is not everything.

STI will give u a true driving experience with great feel and sound - engine/exhaust.
Q50 is a luxury hybrid thats not fun to drive by most reviews.

S4 would be a better choice than both of these if u can afford it.
Old 02-15-14, 03:12 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

For driving, and driving sake only, STI. Last gen STI beat any 4door sedan at the ring with a mere 305hp. New one has better chassis and technology implementations for driving. It will take twice the car of Q50 to beat STI in performance.
Though Q50 is a better street car. Q50 has more convenient features, better techs.

I heard there are plenty of STI guys went with CLA45AMG, and they like what MB offer.
Old 02-15-14, 06:08 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

If the only thing you care about is sporty driving, STI no contest. It's just a brutally-fast, excellent handling street-legal racecar. Unfortunately, the interior that is below average for the $17k pricerange the impreza starts in is retained in the $40k+ STI. Not only is it not competitive, it's downright insulting in its price range. If this is your daily driver, Q50 hands down. I considered the WRX and STI when shopping for my current car, and I just couldn't convince myself that either was livable on a daily basis. If I wanted a track car (particularly if that track wasn't paved)? Absolutely. To spend 2-3 hours in every day? Not a chance in hell.
Old 02-15-14, 06:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir

are you actually buying anytime soon? These cars cant be any different. I suggest you test drive them and let us know what do you think.
Old 02-15-14, 06:28 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

dat apples and oranges yo

i'll go with IS
Old 02-15-14, 06:32 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
are you actually buying anytime soon? These cars cant be any different. I suggest you test drive them and let us know what do you think.
I am in the market for sure. But as far as rushing to buy, not really. I already have 13 rx for family hauling, and 06 camry for daily grocery....and chores.

I will wait for the STI and see. One thing is for sure, i test drove Subaru outback while i was shopping for Suv, ended up buying RX. Neither me nor wife could stand the road noise leaked to the cabin, or the engine sound, and the plastic interior.

Wife told me.....the engine sounds like it was screaming .....help..dont push me too hard....
Old 02-15-14, 06:36 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by geko29
If the only thing you care about is sporty driving, STI no contest. It's just a brutally-fast, excellent handling street-legal racecar. Unfortunately, the interior that is below average for the $17k pricerange the impreza starts in is retained in the $40k+ STI. Not only is it not competitive, it's downright insulting in its price range. If this is your daily driver, Q50 hands down. I considered the WRX and STI when shopping for my current car, and I just couldn't convince myself that either was livable on a daily basis. If I wanted a track car (particularly if that track wasn't paved)? Absolutely. To spend 2-3 hours in every day? Not a chance in hell.
You sir spoke for my mind. I was thinking before that i dont need any luxurious features for a sport car....but the new STI keeping the same drive train threw me off....40 ish.

I could actually negotiate a Q50 hybrid sport AWD for a few more K for way better luxury, and also as fast or faster. I just dont know how good the AWD of the Q50 is. Can it be comparable to the symmetrical STI ?

It will be my daily driver.

Quick Reply: Infinity Q50 vs STI