Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

50-100 vehicles involved in Pennsylvania Turnpike crashes

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-14, 07:37 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation 50-100 vehicles involved in Pennsylvania Turnpike crashes

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...cal&id=9432120

The Philly area was hit with 10-14 inches of snow Wednesday night to Friday morning; but Thursday during the day, there was mostly rain. I woke up to 3 inches of snow on my driveway (after clearing 7-8 inches Thursday morning), which is about 1/2 mile from the PA Turnpike. The roads were plowed Thurs nite, but not well (I would have thought the PA Turnpike would be much better)--but it's a sunny, clear day today. So this accident isn't from white out, or poor visibility, other than slush spitting up onto the car windshields.

You just can't drive like you normally do when it's 32 degrees out, and the road is wet and/or slushy. You have to leave more space--otherwise, you end up with this...

TREVOSE, Pa. - Feburary 14, 2014 (WPVI) -- Police say an estimated 50 to 100 vehicles were involved in a series of crashes on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Bensalem, Bucks County on Friday morning.

The crashes happened around 8:30 a.m. Friday near the Route 1 exit for Bensalem.

The wrecked vehicles include tractor trailers, including one that was jackknifed at the scene and other trucks appeared to be involved.

There was also a backlog of traffic westbound for the emergency vehicles stopping at the scene.

The most remarkable scene showed up to dozen vehicles, including a FedEx box truck, piled up behind two tractor trailers.

"My car began spinning and then the Fed Ex truck slid into my car," said Tracey Woods, who was a passenger in the minivan driven by her husband, Jeff Woods.

"What saved me was the tractor trailer and the FedEx truck," Woods said. "The FedEx truck kind of blocked me from getting hit," she said live on 6abc.

"I looked over and said to Tracey, 'I think cars are spinning out in front of us,'" said Jeff Woods. "So I went to hit my brakes to stop and tried to avoid cars and before you know it we just started spinning."

People were seen getting out of and walking between the vehicles all along the closed stretch of highway.

Another witness, Kristen Good, also called in to Action News. She described the moments after the crash.

"I called my husband right away, saying 'You're not going to believe this," she said. "I said there were about 20 accidents behind me."

There was no official word on the number or extent of injuries. However, in a telephone interview on Action News, Pa. Turnpike spokesman Bill Capone said early reports from the scene indicated many of the injuries were minor.

The accident came as two other accidents slowed traffic on other parts of the turnpike.

On the westbound side, a crash between the Willow Grove and Bensalem exits has resulted in overturned vehicles and multiple injuries.

And on the southbound side of the turnpike's Northeast Extension an accident involving several vehicles snarled traffic between the Lansdale exit and the Mid-county interchange in Plymouth Township.

That crash was said to involve multiple injuries. State police said a medical helicopter is enroute to that scene.

Last edited by tex2670; 02-14-14 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-14-14, 07:53 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hope everyone's OK! As several have noted in a couple of threads here, there's just no getting around the laws of Newtonian physics. In a near-frictionless regime, you are just a pinball. It's preferable to stay home, drink your coffee, and watch the Ice Capades on TV from your easy chair.

If you're already out in it, it's best to keep speed down and, to quote a wise old British fighter pilot, "If you see you're going to crash, try to pick something soft and cheap to crash into."

Before Christmas my daughter took out a Bentley with her $500 pickup. That was neither soft nor cheap.

Last edited by Lil4X; 02-14-14 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-14-14, 10:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Yikes that's crazy! Careful out there.

Mods is this a Clubhouse or Car Chat thread?