Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Slow Down....Your AWD/4WD is NOT Invincible in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-14, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Slow Down....Your AWD/4WD is NOT Invincible in Snow

A major winter storm is currently affecting the southern and eastern parts of the country.....in the western parts of the D.C. area, one of the worst in four years. I've got some 12 inches, and drifting, on the ground at my house as I write this...I had to go out, start some shoveling, and make sure that my heat-pump compressor didn't get choked off by the deep snow.

Inevitably, however, in bad winter conditions (and, from local news reports this morning of vehicles that wind up in the ditch, this one seems to be no exception), there's always a hard-core group of SUV/AWD/4WD truck drivers who think that the laws of physics don't apply to them. They think that the all-wheel-drive nature of their vehicles somehow gives them a magic wand that they just wave, start up the engine, and drive like they were on dry pavement. In other words, their egos start writing checks that neither their brains nor their vehicles can cash.

Well, sorry, folks...it just doesn't work that way. Vehicles like these DO have some advantages in the slick and/or white stuff (and I'll get to those in a minute). But they are not a license to simply thumb your nose at slick conditions and pretend like they don't exist...as some of their drivers unfortunately do.

First of all, in general, AWD/4WD will help you get going from a standstill on slick surfaces or in deep snow/mud better then FWD or RWD, particularly with a high ground clearance....though the type of tires used can often make a difference. Dry-pavement, low-profile, summer-only performance tires or low-rolling resistance tires with hard rubber compounds used for high fuel-mileage, in general, don't work well on slick surfaces. Even AWD can be compromised with unsuitable tires for the conditions. AWD will also, in some conditions, improve sure-footedness in low-speed handling on slick surfaces (and I do mean low speed). AWD, in general will also help one get up hills and grades that would sometimes mean a RWD or FWD vehicle getting stuck on. And if your 4WD/AWD system allows you to start from a stop in second gear or lock the rear differential, then so much the better...but the differential should not be locked (or a part-time 4WD system used) on dry surfaces.

However, 4WD/AWD will NOT help you to stop any shorter, or prevent wheel-lockup from braking (that, of course, is the job of the anti-lock braking system on newer vehicles...and the tires only have so much available grip for braking, regardless of the drive system). Nor will 4WD/AWD allow you to barrel around sharp corners on slick surfaces like you were in a sports car or on dry pavement...this is a prime reason why so many of those vehicles wind up in the ditch. Again, the tires have only so much available grip for cornering traction regardless of the drive-system. The traction control and vehicle-stability systems in modern vehicles, of course, work with all types of drive-systems, but, again, aren't magic...they won't necessarily add any more grip to the tires than is available with the laws of physics.

So, in a nutshell, enjoy the added traction-capabilities and security of your AWD/4WD system the way they were designed and meant to be used, but KNOW THEIR LIMITATIONS.....an drive accordingly. That way, you probably won't end up embarassed and explaining to a local TV-reporter, on camera (and possibly to a cop), why your ego outran your capabilities.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-14 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-13-14, 06:55 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I find that the most dangerous drivers in snow are usually SUV owners.

Now, if you know what you're doing, the 4x4 does offer a significant advantage over 2wd. However, a lot of people, especially those in the city who buy their SUVs or trucks to impress people, do not know how to drive.
Old 02-13-14, 07:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Now, if you know what you're doing, the 4x4 does offer a significant advantage over 2wd. However, a lot of people, especially those in the city who buy their SUVs or trucks to impress people, do not know how to drive.
Yep...exactly. And that is why I posted this thread.
Old 02-13-14, 07:12 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, women in Denver driving their Subby's would haul azz.

thought this was funny...

Old 02-13-14, 07:25 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

And those of you with taller vehicles, please clear snow off the roof of your vehicle. So many times I see people in minivans/SUVs driving on the highway with a layer of ice on their roof, that flies off and can potentially hit other cars.
Old 02-13-14, 07:48 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
And those of you with taller vehicles, please clear snow off the roof of your vehicle. So many times I see people in minivans/SUVs driving on the highway with a layer of ice on their roof, that flies off and can potentially hit other cars.
+1, had a 1"x4"x6" piece of ice hit my windshield on the highway the other I thought it was break my windshield...
Old 02-13-14, 07:55 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

All true, though not everyone with AWD/4WD drives silly. I've seen plenty of FWD cars with or without chains going crazy as well, and cars with improper tires that shouldn't be on the road in those conditions. I would also add that putting snow tires on your car does not make you invincible. There's a certain amount of caution that is required when driving in the snow, no matter what your driveline or tire configuration is.
Old 02-13-14, 07:56 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by doge

+1, had a 1"x4"x6" piece of ice hit my windshield on the highway the other I thought it was break my windshield...
I'm glad i moved to Vegas.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 02-13-14, 08:08 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Who needs AWD or 4WD?

1WD with these tires will do!

Old 02-13-14, 09:55 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

This is why they say the West Coast is the Best Coast

jk that sucks, stay safe.

If I was over there I'd have to have one of these

Old 02-13-14, 02:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
All true, though not everyone with AWD/4WD drives silly. I've seen plenty of FWD cars with or without chains going crazy as well, and cars with improper tires that shouldn't be on the road in those conditions. I would also add that putting snow tires on your car does not make you invincible. There's a certain amount of caution that is required when driving in the snow, no matter what your driveline or tire configuration is.
Yes, there are many sensible 4WD/AWD jocks...and I have respect for them. But the problem is that many others have a false idea (sometimes fed by inaccurate stereotypes) that simply feeding power to all four wheels somehow allows one to drive on slick surfaces as it it were dry pavement. There ARE, of course, some advantages to having power go to all four wheels (and I listed them in the opening post). But others are simple fantasy, and simply don't exist....as many a careless driver has found out.
Old 02-13-14, 02:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Who needs AWD or 4WD?

1WD with these tires will do!

Studded tires are fine where one can legally use them, but many jurisdictions outlaw them, so they are not an option for a lot of drivers. That's why I didn't go into them in my article.
Old 02-13-14, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Thanks for bringing that up, Och, but it's more than just a simple please. In some places, it's the law....you MUST clear off snow from the roof before you drive. In applicable jurisdictions, though not always widely enforced, if a cop sees dry powdery snow flying off the roof, or heavy wet snow sliding down the vehicle from the roof, he or she can stop you and write a ticket.
Old 02-13-14, 03:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Studded tires are fine where one can legally use them, but many jurisdictions outlaw them, so they are not an option for a lot of drivers. That's why I didn't go into them in my article.
Somebody needs to find mmarshall a sense of humor lol
Old 02-13-14, 05:49 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

hope nobody was hurt....

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7fd_1391649362

Quick Reply: Slow Down....Your AWD/4WD is NOT Invincible in Snow