Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

J.D. Power: 4-cylinder engines lead to dependability drop in 3-year-old vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-14, 09:44 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default J.D. Power: 4-cylinder engines lead to dependability drop in 3-year-old vehicles

Originally Posted by The Detroit News
A rising number of smaller, more powerful but troublesome four-cylinder engines led to the first decline in vehicle dependability in 15 years, according to J.D. Power & Associates’ U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study released Wednesday.

Overall vehicle dependability, which J.D. Power measures by determining the number of problems customers experience per 100 vehicles during the first three years of ownership, jumped to 133 problems this year from 126 in last year’s study. This year’s study queried about 41,000 customers in late 2013 who have vehicles from the 2011 model year.

Dependability is a major determining factor for consumers when considering their next vehicle purchase. About 56 percent of owners who report no problems with a vehicle within the first three years will stick with that brand; nearly one in four consumers will avoid brands that rank in the bottom fourth of the J.D. Power study.

This year’s study marks the first time since 1998 that the number of problems increased compared to the previous year.

The rise in complaints was led mostly by engine and transmission problems and among four-cylinder engines — which now account for more than 53 percent of new-vehicle sales in the U.S. and could account for two-thirds of sales by the end of the decade.

Automakers are quickly swapping out many V-6 engines for four-cylinders in a race to meet federal fuel efficiency standards. “There are more out there, but they are getting worse in terms of problems,” said Dave Sargent, vice president of global automotive at J.D. Power.

Sargent said the engines themselves may not be troublesome — though influential outlets such as Consumer Reports have panned turbocharged four-cylinders — but because drivers may be accustomed to a larger engine and therefore find the smaller one “different” and report that difference as a problem.

Overall, Lexus ranked as the most dependable brand with just 68 problems per 100 vehicles, 36 fewer than the second-ranked brand, Mercedes-Benz. Cadillac, the third-best brand, took the top spot among domestics, with 107 problems per 100 vehicles. Buick (fifth, 112), Lincoln (tied for sixth, 114), Chevrolet (13th, 132) and GMC (16th, 133) were other domestic brands that ranked at or above the industry average of 133 problems.

Ford (17th, 140), Chrysler (23rd, 155), Ram (25th, 165), Jeep (28th, 178) and Dodge (30th, 181), finished below average.

Most domestic brands ranked at or near the same level they did during last year’s study, with the exception of Ram, which had 43 more problems this year and dropped from ninth to 25th.

General Motors Co. won eight segment awards, up from four last year, including highest-ranked compact car — the Chevrolet Volt — and large light-duty pickup — the GMC Sierra . Toyota Motor Corp. won seven awards and Honda Motor Co. won six.

“Receiving more segment awards for our cars and trucks than any other automaker reflects our commitment to provide customers with the best overall experience in the industry,” Alicia Boler-Davis, GM’s senior vice president of global customer experience and product quality, said in a statement.

Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler Group LLC did not take home any segment awards.

Problems that worsened compared to last year included excessive wind noise — a longstanding problem in the industry — and transmission fluid leaks, Sargent said.

The rate of problems declined in areas like brakes, tire pressure monitoring, paint quality and water leaks.

Sargent said J.D. Power plans to update its study next year, in part because more and more problems are becoming software related, meaning automakers can fix a potential problem without lengthy delay or high cost.
My Notes:

1) I still have trouble trusting turbo motors long term...and this doesn't help
2) Lexus is still king...interesting MB is second. Long way since a decade ago.
3) Poor Chrysler, still haven't gotten quality control for any of their brands under control
Old 02-12-14, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Let's wait and see what Consumer Reports comes up with in their reliability data. My experience is that, over the years, CR's data has been noticeably more accurate than Power's....or most other sources.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, to find that turbo-4s are, in fact, less-reliable than most N/A V6s. They often require special engine oils, create more heat than a normally-aspirated engine when the turbo is actually in use, subject many of the internal moving parts of the engine to more stress, and often require replacement of the turbo during the life of the engine. Years ago, turbos used to require special idling start-up/shutdown techniques because, on shutdown, the oil pressure would suddenly go to zero while the turbo was still rapidly spinning, creating coke/carbon-particles from the heat which, even with an oil filter, would later contaminate the oil system and ruin the engine. Modern advances in heat-resistant oils, lubrication systems, and turbo intercoolers have greatly lessened that problem....but it is still a good idea to slowly warm up a turbo on a cold engine and let a hot engine idle a minute or two to let the turbo RPMs drop before shutting it off.
Old 02-12-14, 10:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Plus, it stands to reason as 4 cylinder engines account for a larger % of sales, they'll also account for a larger % of problem areas.

I wouldn't keep a 4 cylinder turbo car beyond the warranty period.
Old 02-12-14, 10:31 AM
LexFather

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/201...ss-Release.htm

Old 02-12-14, 10:32 AM
LexFather

Lexus lead is utterly mind blowing here….Wow!!

Old 02-12-14, 10:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In what world is the Lexus ES a compact???
Old 02-12-14, 10:40 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Seriously. That is beyond impressive.

Last edited by TangoRed; 02-12-14 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-12-14, 10:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mini Cooper is the highest ranked compact sporty car, but Mini as a brand is dead last. How does that happen?
Old 02-12-14, 10:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Porsche used to be neck to neck with Lexus, they dropped heavily.
Old 02-12-14, 11:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexFather
I thought the same thing. This isn't just, "Lexus in first, Mercedes in second."

Lexus is playing in a ball field that nobody else in the industry can touch, in terms of dependability.
Old 02-12-14, 11:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Congrats to Lexus! Well done!

This is, in my opinion, a positive effect of not chasing ever smaller engines with turbochargers, or the latest and greatest new fads and technologies. This is what happens when you stick with tried and true engines and proven technology, and introduce new engines in a slow and methodical way.

It's why I cringe when I hear people complain about the 2GR-FSE being old tech. It's not old tech. There may be some newer tech out there, but it still relies on cylinder count and displacement, and proven technologies. Gets my vote every time.
Old 02-12-14, 12:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I thought the same thing. This isn't just, "Lexus in first, Mercedes in second."

Lexus is playing in a ball field that nobody else in the industry can touch, in terms of dependability.
Not only that it is now ridiculous to state Asian brands as a whole are better. Its just LEXUS, the other Asian luxury brands are now just on par with the Germans and Americans.

Old 02-12-14, 12:19 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
This is, in my opinion, a positive effect of not chasing ever smaller engines with turbochargers, or the latest and greatest new fads and technologies. This is what happens when you stick with tried and true engines and proven technology, and introduce new engines in a slow and methodical way.
Hopefully this remains true with the introduction of the 2.0T engine.
Old 02-12-14, 12:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Hopefully this remains true with the introduction of the 2.0T engine.
True. It makes me a little nervous, but I am taking some hope from the fact that Toyota does not appear to be rushing this engine to market. They have made some good turbo engines in the past, though.
Old 02-12-14, 12:30 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job Lexus!! Some of the success is due to limited power train (6 options come to mind) and those that are around have been refined over the course of a decade.

MB With 10 standard engines and 5 AMG engines is the real surprise. Surpassing companies like Acura/Honda, Cadi, Toyoya with a much more limited selection.

Quick Reply: J.D. Power: 4-cylinder engines lead to dependability drop in 3-year-old vehicles