Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official S-Class Coupe Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-14, 10:07 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I won't even be greedy. Ill take the coupe as is with just the sport pack and histrionic package.

Never understood why the Mercedes sport packages cost so much. They aren't adding much. Usually just different front and rear bumpers, side skirts, and perforated brakes, and rims. For more than 5K, they act as if the car doesn't come with any of these things stock.
Old 10-18-14, 05:25 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Saw a coupe in person today. I was amazed. The car is beautiful. Lexus has nothing at all that competes with it. Nothing. It is like the difference between a Rolls Royce and a Hyundai. Absolutely beautiful car.
Old 10-24-14, 09:07 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-26-14, 12:47 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Mercedes definitely has been getting my attention and impressing me with their new products and moving their high end segments up market.

A post above earlier mentioned that Lexus has nothing even close to competing with this vehicle and that really is a shame. Lexus is always slow to market, it definitely is not innovating in that aspect.
Old 10-27-14, 10:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i personally don't mind lexus being a bit slow. i rather them master technology and polish it. first to market a lot of times means more problems (look MB). the current LS is a tough call coz' lexus is stretching the same generation for so long so they are creating such a big gap against mb s
Old 10-27-14, 11:02 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Love the interior of this coupe @ first sight, but even the exterior is growing on me the more I see it ... still not completely sold on the center front view ...
Old 10-27-14, 12:08 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Love the interior of this coupe @ first sight, but even the exterior is growing on me the more I see it ... still not completely sold on the center front view ...
The center front view is not attractive to me at all. Every other angle is great to me.
Old 10-31-14, 10:24 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

"Can the Audi R8 V10 see off the Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe in this drag race shoot-out?"
Old 10-31-14, 10:53 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

They should have redone that launch, the Audi is clearly lighter and has faster acceleration. This uber Benz def has the top end though, it wants to GO
Old 11-05-14, 10:17 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

We hit the streets of Birmingham and the test track to see which is best - the Mercedes S63 AMG coupe or the Porsche Panamera Turbo S.
Old 11-05-14, 10:59 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To me car looks more majestic in photos then on the road, even the AMG version
Old 11-06-14, 02:19 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This car is absolutely gorgeous. I had a chance to see one in person and man ole man.
Jaguar F type or S550 Coupe. Take your pick
Old 11-16-14, 05:44 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default The Six-Figure Benz S-Class Coupe Isn’t Perfect, But It’s Close

The German word Über roughly translates to “over and beyond,” suggesting the most extreme example of a person, place, or thing.

Though the term is more readily associated with a certain ridesharing service, it’s just as aptly associated with the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class Coupe, an imperiously elegant beast of a car that may as well be the official vehicle for heads of state, moguls, and plutocrats everywhere.

This two-door version of the S-Class sedan, available in S550 ($119,900) or burlier S63 AMG ($160,900) forms, is the artist formerly known as the CL coupe. But the new car bears so little in common with its predecessor that the reworked nomenclature is just the start of the car’s reimagined persona. First off, the S-Class Coupe’s lines have gone from staid to stately, with a delicately sculpted shape that’s been informed by Mercedes-Benz’s new design language. This is a vehicle that makes no apologies for its expansive size, which comfortably seats only two people, as the rear seats are merely a token nod to the concept of stringing another couple full-sized humans along for the ride.

But the view from those front seats is lavish: the cabin is an intricately harmonious mélange of quilted leather details and tasteful wood textures merged in an organically flowing sequence of contours and curves. We only found one fault with the S-Class’s cockpit: though the relative lack of buttons and switches has a visually soothing effect, it also means scrolling through a series of menus to achieve such relatively simple tasks like adjusting your seat. At least the task is accomplished via a gorgeous 12.3-inch display sitting alongside another screen that replicates analog instrumentation with an eerily accurate digital recreation.

Step on the pedal, and the S550 model scoots forward with swift whoosh and a latent purr, like a panther in stealth mode. Thanks to its 449 horsepower V8 and weight savings measures that have shed significant poundage, this base car’s performance is on par with some past AMG models. Step up to the more fire-breathing S63 AMG version (which makes 577 horsepower), and the grunt becomes even growlier, catapulting from 0 to 60 mph in less than four seconds—barely enough time to pull over and explain to L.A.’s finest why a self-respecting one-percenter would have the nerve to break the law. Despite the exhilarating rush of power, driver and passenger can savor cushy creature comforts like seats with hot stone massage while a glove box-mounted atomizer infuses the car’s cabin with their favorite scent.”

The beauty of the top dog S63 model is that it’s capable of violating the law so innocuously and so smoothly. Sure, there’s a bit more perceptible engine hum than you might expect inside the otherwise serene cabin (and the ride, though smooth, feels a tad more connected to the road that you might expect for a big Benz), but such is the bottom line of this 21st century übercoupe: it is epically powerful and ultimately capable of slaying smaller, feistier sports cars while maintaining its understated sense of calm. And for those wanting more, an even plusher, more powerful, 12-cylinder S65 Coupe will be available next year, offering yet another onion layer that proves you can never too much luxury or speed.
http://www.lamag.com/driver/six-figu...perfect-close/
Old 11-16-14, 11:13 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The beauty of the top dog S63 model is that it’s capable of violating the law so innocuously and so smoothly. Sure, there’s a bit more perceptible engine hum than you might expect inside the otherwise serene cabin (and the ride, though smooth, feels a tad more connected to the road that you might expect for a big Benz), but such is the bottom line of this 21st century übercoupe: it is epically powerful and ultimately capable of slaying smaller, feistier sports cars while maintaining its understated sense of calm. And for those wanting more, an even plusher, more powerful, 12-cylinder S65 Coupe will be available next year, offering yet another onion layer that proves you can never too much luxury or speed.
Well stated. Mercedes may not sell a whole lot, but it adds depth to an already deep stable
Old 11-21-14, 01:03 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Heavy on the luxury the Mercedes-Benz S Class Coupe is one posh people mover.

Quick Reply: Official S-Class Coupe Thread